The best Red wine.

kangaroo point golden grape estate
the best I've had cant get it anywhere think it was Cabernet Merlot

God I love red wine - though knock it back way, way too quickly. Once it's open I'm like a crack whore scrabbling round for more on the shag-pile after dropping her paltry stash.

I'm trying to ween myself off it as it always ends up making me a)fall asleep at the dinner table b)get pissed and grumpy or c)stare at wimmin.

I don't have a particular favourite, though if I were to ever consider drinking the evil liquid again would prefer a good cabernet, poss a cabernet/merlot, an occasional quality rioja (though watch your teeth!), malbec or if french a decent cotes du rhone is the best bet. (I think someone already mentioned Barolo?)

As some have said the mixed boxes from wine club do bring in some wonderful examples, though what on a friday afternoon seems like a particularly well stocked selection can be sadly depleted by the time Sunday roast is served.

Probably best in terms of experience was walking over the hills from my mate's french house in basque country to the local vineyard, filling a five litre plastic tub with the local fare before ambling back to drink in the late afternoon sunshine. No idea what that was - they just had a vat of red, a vat of white and a vat of rose...

Last edited:
If you'll allow me to bore you with a little story...

When I was a young lad and I moved to Bristol, me and my mate after a few too many beers would sometimes end up in Harvey's restaurant. Back in the 80's it was the place to be, and as part of what was then Allied Domecq - who owned some of the top French chateaux - it had a phenomenal wine list. The wines were bought by the restaurant donkeys years earlier and held in the cellars for the benefit of the diners, who got to have amazing wines at a fraction of the cost of what the same wine would cost from a wine merchant.

This being the case, I've been fortunate to drink a boat load of Chateaux Latour 1955 and Chateaux Lafite 1955. We used to pay £52 a bottle for it, which when you consider '55 is one of the best vintages of the last century, probably surpassed only by the '82, '61 and the '45, £52 a bottle was just stupidly cheap. A 30 year old Latour today retails I guess for something like £500 to £1,000 a bottle depending on vintage.

Needless to say, 35 years on, these are the finest wines I've ever tasted and unless I win the lottery, am destined to never enjoy again.

However, I will forever remember one occasion when I collared the sommelier passing my table and asked if I could have some english mustard to go with my beef wellington. The look on his face as he said "with the WINE sir????" obviously thinking what a fucking pleb, and then gathering himself saying, "er yes, yes of course, right away". He was none too amused when later in the evening he asked if we'd like anything else and I said, yes we'll have another bottle of the Latour please. I am laughing whilst typing this since it was so bloody ridiculous. Me and my pal had had 5 or 6 pints in the pub before we went there and to then sink 2 bottles of 1955 Latour was in hindsight a bit OTT. Happy days.

Back to planet earth, depends on your budget doesn't it. Barolo is great stuff, but really only comes into its own at £30/bottle or more, which is too steep for me these days. For £10 "The Wanted Zin" from Morrisons is great stuff. 100% Primitivo (aka Zinfandel) it's got massive blackberry fruit, rich and powerful and a touch of oak and leathery spice. Marvellous stuff.

talking of red wine...

No nippers in the house tonight and the beautiful Mrs This! won't be back from "meetings" until the early hours (yes, you're all correct, she's a hooker) and I have a tenner burning a hole in my pocket.

The thing is, on the way home do I buy one superior offering for just under the tenner, let it breathe, swirl it lovingly to enjoy the aroma before dissecting the flavours over a few relaxing hours and welcome her back eagerly on the doorstep? - or do I get two bottles of plonk, guzzle them faster than a dehydrated dingo at an oasis, wake up asleep in a heap on the sofa then stare leeringly at the Mrs through red teeth on her return?

vote now!

'Chilean Malbec'!!!!! Heresy...People have been hung for less!!

Good Malbec is clearly of Argentinean pedigree (unless Bravo ups his game and Sanchez signs, in which case Chile is allowed in the 'honourable mention' category?)

Anyway, I shall give this a try, even though you quote Asda and the Mirror. However, I fear your challenge is destined to failure.

I bought some of that based on that report and was not impressed. It's okay but there's better Malbec out there including the Trivento.
I like Vinsorbes Cru de Cotes du Rhone which is often discounted at £6 in Asda from 10.99.

Do like a good Malbec - Mendoza rules though...

talking of red wine...

No nippers in the house tonight and the beautiful Mrs This! won't be back from "meetings" until the early hours (yes, you're all correct, she's a hooker) and I have a tenner burning a hole in my pocket.

The thing is, on the way home do I buy one superior offering for just under the tenner, let it breathe, swirl it lovingly to enjoy the aroma before dissecting the flavours over a few relaxing hours and welcome her back eagerly on the doorstep? - or do I get two bottles of plonk, guzzle them faster than a dehydrated dingo at an oasis, wake up asleep in a heap on the sofa then stare leeringly at the Mrs through red teeth on her return?

vote now!

Spend the winery allowance on Old Crafty Hens like what I have done tonight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.