The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

I don’t care for the non-NA/UK thing. It narrows down the selection set for one pick drastically for no good reason. It’s not like a Peruvian flute band is going to win, or Midnight Oil will (which is what @RobMCFC is secretly hoping . . . )
I won't be nominating Midnight Oil - they are about as far from Manchester as you can get and therefore will have no chance.

I do think forcing people to pick at least one from outside the NA/UK will be a good category as it would help broaden the selections, although they would almost certainly all fall in the first round.

Last year we had to have one year 2000+ pick - was the reason for this any better than a geographical category?

I won't be nominating Midnight Oil - they are about as far from Manchester as you can get and therefore will have no chance.

I do think forcing people to pick at least one from outside the NA/UK will be a good category as it would help broaden the selections, although they would almost certainly all fall in the first round.

Last year we had to have one year 2000+ pick - was the reason for this any better than a geographical category?
Yeah, because there have been about a quadrillion songs made since 2000, but since the beginning of time, I (and am guessing most everyone else here) can name far fewer than a quadrillion made in any nation outside of those that speak English.

So, sure, we'll get Aussie-NZ, Irish, ABBA, Bob Marley, maybe some German bands who sung in English . . . then what? Seven people pick "Take On Me"?

It should be restrictive breadth we're after, not constrictive breadth.

Yeah, because there have been about a quadrillion songs made since 2000, but since the beginning of time, I (and am guessing most everyone else here) can name far fewer than a quadrillion made in any nation outside of those that speak English.

So, sure, we'll get Aussie-NZ, Irish, ABBA, maybe some German bands who sung in English . . . then what? Seven people pick "Take On Me"?

It should be restrictive breadth we're after, not constrictive breadth.
Not sure I see where you are coming from. Any category is a restriction of a kind and I’d argue if you picked 100 songs from the year 2000+ they’d be just as good/bad as a geographic category.

Not sure I see where you are coming from. Any category is a restriction of a kind and I’d argue if you picked 100 songs from the year 2000+ they’d be just as good/bad as a geographic category.
It's just about selection set, not quality.

"Post-2000 songs" is a much, much wider category in terms of possible choices for regular English-speaking music fans than "no songs from North America or the UK" for obvious reasons.

Just a couple of random ideas
Instrumentals
One hit wonders
A specific record label, say motown or other?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.