The Boxing thread

ono said:
Haha, i'm not sure Kelley likes Naz to be fair, so maybe it would make sense for him to shy away from admitting he was the biggest puncher he's faced.

How good do you think Naz was mate?
I don't think he minded Naz really. They hyped that fight up really well, usually it's just one guy doing all the talking but they both went at it in the buildup for that fight.

Naz is my all time favourite Boxer, so my judgement is probably a little clouded with regards to him. For me, he made 2 vital mistakes in his career. 1 was sacking Ingle and replacing him with Manny Steward, Steward tried to make Naz plant his feet more which would prevent him from being off balance and getting knocked down (also to make him hit that bit harder, not really necessary), but in turn that would take away so much much of Naz's unpredictable nature and flamboyant style. That lead to what you saw in the Barrera fight. The 2nd mistake he made was believing his own hype and not training properly for the Barrera fight. You can see in this documentary, 'The little prince, The big fight' that he's just not focused and basically too cocky about the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ITe-EWHNmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9yv-l39Bg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouIoMJWEDw&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyFZ0LcFtTo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNEq_OwQWw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlot6XazUI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqtyJctFfo&feature=related

If he'd got his head down and concentrated on what he was supposed to be doing, he coudl've dominated that division imo, that's Barrera, Morales and JMM. As I say though my views are probably clouded with regards to Naz.

I'll tell you what though, the sport could use someone like Naz right now to drum up some interest. There are no real characters left, it says it all that Floyd is the torch bearer with regards to hyping the fights. His entrances alone were worth the PPV fee. I remember the whole of Madison square garden and the HBO commentary team booing him cause he took about 9 minutes on his entrance, haha.

Lads watch out for a link to a fight card over here on Saturday night. A European title fight with winner of Prizefighter Willie Big Bang Casey v Paulie Hyland and on the undercard is big Roggie the first winner of the Prizefighter after his nightmare injury on the comeback trail. Will be worth a look you might get a chance to see the boxing Cubans on the undercard that is back over here fighting again. Instead of watching Gavin Rees on Sky.

leighton said:
Lads watch out for a link to a fight card over here on Saturday night. A European title fight with winner of Prizefighter Willie Big Bang Casey v Paulie Hyland and on the undercard is big Roggie the first winner of the Prizefighter after his nightmare injury on the comeback trail. Will be worth a look you might get a chance to see the boxing Cubans on the undercard that is back over here fighting again. Instead of watching Gavin Rees on Sky.
What time you reckon for that card mate? Juan Manuel Lopez vs Rafa Marquez is on Saturday, I'm not missing that It'll be one of the fights of the year.

conormcfc said:
leighton said:
What time you reckon for that card mate? Juan Manuel Lopez vs Rafa Marquez is on Saturday, I'm not missing that It'll be one of the fights of the year.

The programe starts at 9.15 our time. I think it runs normally to around 12 at night depending on who is on the undercard. But with Kiko withdrawing the main undercard fight will be Roggie I would guess normally the main fight will start around 10 to 10.30 our time. I expect if they show another fight before it could be Louis Garcia v Byron Mitchell or another all irish clash between Fitzgerald v Murtagh but it wont clash with Lopez v Marquez what station has picked this fight up in the UK?

leighton said:
conormcfc said:

The programe starts at 9.15 our time. I think it runs normally to around 12 at night depending on who is on the undercard. But with Kiko withdrawing the main undercard fight will be Roggie I would guess normally the main fight will start around 10 to 10.30 our time. I expect if they show another fight before it could be Louis Garcia v Byron Mitchell or another all irish clash between Fitzgerald v Murtagh but it wont clash with Lopez v Marquez what station has picked this fight up in the UK?
To my knowledge, no-one has picked up Lopez/Marquez. Not a surprise really but it's a shame we are deprived of so many top fights. It's on HBO PPV in the U.S so it shouldn't be too hard to find a stream anyway. That fight wont start till about half 3 ish in the morning so I'll be able to watch the card you've mentioned too, depending on whether I go out or not.

SuperKevinHorlock said:
Personally always thought Naz was one of the greatest fighters Britain has produced in my lifetime. Just to clear up that I hope Haye beats Harrison but I've got a funny feeling Haye will walk onto a left hook and that will be that.
Even if Haye wins he isn't going to beat Vitali possibly Vlad.

I liked Naz a lot but sadly he had no heart and the fights that we missed out on with him he could of been a legend in boxing. From a rematch with Barrera to a fight with Moreales even Pacman. Also a local dust up with Scott Harrision should of and could of been made both hated each other at the time and Harrision was World Champion as well.

My personal favourite would be Joe Calzaghe just look at any of his fights he has it all he can step up and fight any fight. I remember in 1 fight he had he got knocked to the floor got up got his barrings and KOd the fighter he was fighting in the same round. To any young fighter out there study his style he would mix up his punches might throw somes soft jabs and hit a few hard jabs during a combo that will have the fighters going.

I know people will say he avoided BHop and Jones Jnr but he was about to sign a deal to fight BHop back in the early days but BHop up his demands for the fight so it never got made until the end. Also he was unlucky with fights not made. He was due to fight Steve Collins but Collins called it a day a couple of weeks before the 2 were to fight which lead to his battle with Eubank if the memory is right. In all fairness that would of been some test for Joe but Collins was looking for Jones Jnr but he didnt want anything to do with Collins. He had some fights some great wins along the way Lacy and Kessler both younger dangerous fighters at the time and Joe schooled them.

SuperKevinHorlock said:
Good shout Leighton Calzaghe was a legend, on a side note saw a picture of Shea Neary the other day do you remember his fight with Micky Ward?

Shea Neary the Shamrock Express he used to get his fights on ITV back in the day but for the life of me I cant remember the Micky Ward fight. I wonder if that would be on You Tube now might have a look. Back then when he was about I was in my early teens those nights of boxing on ITV back then we were spoiled with Naz and Neary also BBC had the odd card or two back then. Then the Murdock millions and Sky took over. In a way I think you are very unlucky over there not to have your main broadcaster showing the World title fights live. I look at Irish tv and they will back the likes of Dunne and show the fights free on National tv free for everyone to watch. I wish in the UK they will do the same but that aint going to happy.

I'm ok as I have Sky but it does piss you off with all this Box office shite. Not sure Boxing is as popular as before and that is a real shame, for me the golden age was Benn and Eubank on ITV. Read an article with Hennesy and he was complaining that the boxing on ITV was pulled despite exceeding required viewing figures. Really annoys you when they give all the money to shite like I'm a celebrity. Do you remember the Ward v Gatti fights, Leighton?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.