The Boxing thread

A lot of the fighters now are all over the Twitter these days making fights or trying to make fights. Quigg v Frampton was a twitter war at times for the best part of a year or more. Also looking into it more it seems to be the thing. Nag a fighter so much and you get the fight sooner or later. The talent is there a lot of people say Cuban boxing is the best in the world at producing fighters but I look at Uk and say wow they got some talent and even Ireland too has the talent you will have some talented guys turning pro after Rio to watch.
It's the same with most English athletes who reach the top of their game, there's nothing exotic or mysterious about us English or our culture which I think people(including our own natives) prefer to get behind... same some people insisting the EPL isn't that good because they watch the Bundesliga or other league... they just want to be different because different = better to them.

That said Cuban fighter's footwork is immense at it's best, still prefer a more offensive/attacking style though personally.

Last edited:
It's the same with most English athletes who reach the top of their game, there's nothing exotic or mysterious about us English or our culture which I think people(including our own natives) prefer to get behind... same some people insisting the EPL isn't that good because they watch the Bundesliga or other league... they just want to be different because different = better to them.

That said Cuban fighter's footwork is immense at it's best, still prefer a more offensive/attacking style though personally.

Footwork is key in the ams and i think now more so than ever UK and Ireland some of the fighters both have would easy walk into the Cuban Rio boxing team. Our boxing is on par with Cuba now. I always think that both the Irish and UK team can win 5 or more medals at this years games.

Footwork is key in the ams and i think now more so than ever UK and Ireland some of the fighters both have would easy walk into the Cuban Rio boxing team. Our boxing is on par with Cuba now. I always think that both the Irish and UK team can win 5 or more medals at this years games.

I agree, it great that Britain and Ireland have become hotbeds for talent coming through in the last few years. Some real quality. I think Cuba got so many plaudits because for so long many of their boxers stayed in the ams and therefore got the experience and maturity that other nations didnt, so they won more medals at worlds and Olympics.

I look at the Irish team alone Paddy Barnes is going to his third Olympics he has 2 Bronze medals , Michael Conlan goes to his second he won Bronze in Rio and if Katie Taylor gets there be her second she won Gold in London. So these fighters have stayed Am a long long time. I think Barnes will either go pro or try and make a 4th Olympics. Fully expect Conlan to turn pro after the games and Katie will retire before the next games.
The gyms over here are buzzing off the back of London with boys and girls all knowing if they are good enough they get looked after very well and go on Sports grants to remain am for as long as they want. Its a really good set up over here. Since the Atlanta games were we only had Andy Lee that quailifed to the talent here now its just amazing to see how far Irish boxing has come. To be honest were lucky that the lads up fighting in Belfast are under team Ireland as they are producing all of these brilliant am fighters at the moment. With Barnes , Conlan , Brendan Irvine and Stephen Donnelly the first 3 lads are from Belfast with Donnelly from Ballymena. So technically they could of made team GB lol.

Sky sports 1 @ 8pm ( Glasgow )

Ricky Burns v Michael Di Rocco.
Tyrone Nurse v Willie Limond.
Tommy McCarthy v Jon - Lewis Dickinson.
Connor Benn v Luke Keleher.

Boxnation @ 3am ( Arizona )

Shane Mosley v David Avanesyan.

Hope Burns gets another title tonight, he's very lucky to get another shot, that said, i've always admired his courage in the ring. If only we had one belt per division, and the best always fought the best. Sadly, more belts equals more money, and the title of 'world champion' in some cases gets watered down.
Always loved watching sugar Shane fight, maybe tho it's time to cash his chips after this fight. In his prime, had the fastest hands in boxing, imo of course.

Another boxing documentary worth a watch. "No Mas " covers the two fights between SRL & Roberto Duran and why he 'quit' in the second fight. Ray travels to Panama and meets up with Duran to ask the question.

Sky sports 1 @ 8pm ( Glasgow )

Ricky Burns v Michael Di Rocco.
Tyrone Nurse v Willie Limond.
Tommy McCarthy v Jon - Lewis Dickinson.
Connor Benn v Luke Keleher.

Boxnation @ 3am ( Arizona )

Shane Mosley v David Avanesyan.

Hope Burns gets another title tonight, he's very lucky to get another shot, that said, i've always admired his courage in the ring. If only we had one belt per division, and the best always fought the best. Sadly, more belts equals more money, and the title of 'world champion' in some cases gets watered down.
Always loved watching sugar Shane fight, maybe tho it's time to cash his chips after this fight. In his prime, had the fastest hands in boxing, imo of course.

Another boxing documentary worth a watch. "No Mas " covers the two fights between SRL & Roberto Duran and why he 'quit' in the second fight. Ray travels to Panama and meets up with Duran to ask the question.

I was a little let down by 'no mas', Duran is one of my idols and thought the documentary was very 'pro' Leonard.. Only in sugars mind, because of his ego, did he feel the need for redemption... The 30 for 30 series is great though!!

I was a little let down by 'no mas', Duran is one of my idols and thought the documentary was very 'pro' Leonard.. Only in sugars mind, because of his ego, did he feel the need for redemption... The 30 for 30 series is great though!!

It was good to see the old footage and i think most boxing fans will have already made their minds up, definitely pro Leonard tho. I never really warmed to Duran as a person, not that i've met the guy, that was until i read 'Hands of Stone' and realised the pressure he was under and the shit he got off his own fans. Still looks like he can throw a dig, hammers for hands and a true great.

It was good to see the old footage and i think most boxing fans will have already made their minds up, definitely pro Leonard tho. I never really warmed to Duran as a person, not that i've met the guy, that was until i read 'Hands of Stone' and realised the pressure he was under and the shit he got off his own fans. Still looks like he can throw a dig, hammers for hands and a true great.

I met Leonard at an after dinner affair years ago. He's your archetypical 'American pie' golden boy. Great fighter nonetheless, I suppose my Duran fanboy came out but he left me a little underwhelmed..

Duran was a warrior which makes the 'no mas' affair all the harder to swallow..

However hagler, the best of them all for me!!!

I met Leonard at an after dinner affair years ago. He's your archetypical 'American pie' golden boy. Great fighter nonetheless, I suppose my Duran fanboy came out but he left me a little underwhelmed..

Duran was a warrior which makes the 'no mas' affair all the harder to swallow..

However hagler, the best of them all for me!!!

Hagler v Hearns is arguably the greatest fight ever. Another good watch 'Welcome To The Sewer' follows a young Shannon Briggs and his promoter, amongst others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.