The Boxing thread

Tell me in what regard Whyte has been put on a pedestal.... I'm glad you can acknowledge the monetary value now, however you still aren't grasping who controls those paydays. We could be talking about joe bugner, Gary mason, Michael bent or even joe bloggs, Hearn and matchroom control the market in the division, it is them who have rejuvenated the heavyweight division, regardless of quality, and it is them who can inject the cash flow.... Hearn took a sly dig at Wilder at the weekend by posting videos of him in and around New York, basically reinforcing that a majority of the American public don't have a scooby who Wilder is, swap that with AJ over here and not even the most ardent of boxing fans have bought in to the guy...

Don't concentrate on Whyte but on how Hearn could market the fight, ffs they did a million ppv for AJ's last fight alone...

Trust me, I know Whytes shortcomings, however he's contributing to the pantomime that is matchroom, next up that all time classic 'bellew v Haye 2' (rumours it's off)..

Again, the control of the paydays is not lost on me, and I never didn't acknowledge the monetary value, I'm just not interested in the financial side of it, more the boxing side of it. I know full well the power Matchroom have in the sport, I follow the sport enough to know where the power is. I don't see any other UK promoter being able to spread their wings into the US market and make a success of it but I've no doubt Hearn will achieve great things over there.

Whyte is on a pedestal precisely because of what you've said. I'm fully aware of how Hearn and Matchroom can market a fight between Whyte and Wilder, but I'm not allowing that to cloud my vision as to the quality of that fight.

I seen the videos at the weekend. Hearn asking people on the streets of NY who Wilder was and none of them knew. I get that. I've also seen plenty of videos of Hearn putting Whyte out there as this dangerous dark horse in the division, and more recently driving the angle that Wilder does not fancy the fight.

What's the long game here with Matchroom's involvement in the US besides planting their own routes on US territory, are they going to try and join forces with Wilder at some point? Would make the AJ (and dare I say it, Whyte) fights a lot easier to make if they were in-house affairs.

Also Joseph Parker's team in the news today, saying Hearn submitted an AJ offer by email that was so ridiculously low that it must have been a hoax, and that they would not acceot a single cent less than 40% of the pot for a unification with AJ. What do we make of that?

Again, the control of the paydays is not lost on me, and I never didn't acknowledge the monetary value, I'm just not interested in the financial side of it, more the boxing side of it. I know full well the power Matchroom have in the sport, I follow the sport enough to know where the power is. I don't see any other UK promoter being able to spread their wings into the US market and make a success of it but I've no doubt Hearn will achieve great things over there.

Whyte is on a pedestal precisely because of what you've said. I'm fully aware of how Hearn and Matchroom can market a fight between Whyte and Wilder, but I'm not allowing that to cloud my vision as to the quality of that fight.

I seen the videos at the weekend. Hearn asking people on the streets of NY who Wilder was and none of them knew. I get that. I've also seen plenty of videos of Hearn putting Whyte out there as this dangerous dark horse in the division, and more recently driving the angle that Wilder does not fancy the fight.

What's the long game here with Matchroom's involvement in the US besides planting their own routes on US territory, are they going to try and join forces with Wilder at some point? Would make the AJ (and dare I say it, Whyte) fights a lot easier to make if they were in-house affairs.

Long term the US is where the money is at for Hearn and matchroom... we simply can't compete on ppv figures, if the Americans buy in to the Joshua mystique, then there is no need to fill 80/90 thousand seated stadiums... hayman, golden boy and I would keep an eye on mayweather promotions also, will milk it for every penny...

The reality is the division is piss poor, however Hearn has turned it into some kind of WWE hybrid, every fight he promotes nowadays has a back story, fuelled by social media and trash talking, it merely masks the depth of quality that exists, sadly!

Also Joseph Parker's team in the news today, saying Hearn submitted an AJ offer by email that was so ridiculously low that it must have been a hoax, and that they would not acceot a single cent less than 40% of the pot for a unification with AJ. What do we make of that?

Personally I think AJ will sweat the pair of them out... as mentioned, they are barely scraping million dollar purses. Joshua can merely wait for mandatory defences until they become realists in terms of there worth.... not a chance they should be commanding 40% of purses!!

I'm torn on what I feel the fair thing to do is regarding Parker.

On one hand it can't be denied this influx of money/demand in the heavyweight division is down to AJ and Hearn's work should anyone be demanding so much more money(forget the splits what they'd typically bank) than they'd usually get for a title shot if it were say someone going for Wilder's belt or Wlad's when he had them?

On the other hand some would argue spread the wealth where it is warranted, as that is better for the division. Parker is a legitimate title holder, that fight could do big numbers and that's due to Parker being seen as credible opposition with a chance of pulling off an upset in some peoples mind. Much like the situation with Wilder really, I suppose they should wait and see what they offer Wilder before complaining though as he might not be getting 60/40. I don't really blame AJ and Hearn for thinking 60/30 could be giving people paydays they wouldn't dream of getting without AJ's draw and 40% or more is just too generous.

I wonder what Mayweather's typical revenue split terms were from a quick glance even against McGregor it was suggested it could be from 30% to as low as 25%, against Manny who was a superstar in his own right(his own fights were doing great numbers) at that time it was suggested that it was 60/40 and there's nobody even near equivalent to that when it comes to discussing potential AJ fights(ie heavyweights doing big numbers themselves in comparison to their opponent... Fury perhaps?).

Last edited:
The PPV v belt, is a tough one. WBC in my opinion is the best belt in boxing, the most prestigious and looks great. Wilder has that strap. So if AJ want's it, he has to give Wilder a decent cut especially if he wants home advantage. Parkers PPV and belt don't make any business sense. Put him on the back burner, even AJ v Whyte would pull more revenue in!

So the logical match-ups are Wilder swallows up Parker's belt or makes an appearance on AJ undercard v Whyte to generate profile and make a statement.

The PPV v belt, is a tough one. WBC in my opinion is the best belt in boxing, the most prestigious and looks great. Wilder has that strap. So if AJ want's it, he has to give Wilder a decent cut especially if he wants home advantage. Parkers PPV and belt don't make any business sense. Put him on the back burner, even AJ v Whyte would pull more revenue in!

So the logical match-ups are Wilder swallows up Parker's belt or makes an appearance on AJ undercard v Whyte to generate profile and make a statement.
That's the problem with Wilder though, what is a fair cut?

Let's remember he only had to beat Stiverne for that belt, he had an easy path to the title looking at it, that's my problem with him mentioning his belt is more important... nobody questioned Wlad being the top man when he had AJs belts either did they?

More importantly he simply doesn't have a big draw in boxing compared to AJ but he's talking like he does. Wilder's trying to demand home advantage AND a bigger cut than he's worth by the looks of things... I don't see how anyone can be on his side on that(ie who's being more realistic?). Hearn says he knows he will have to overpay Wilder but the thing is just how far Wilders team are going to try and push their luck may make or break this fight.

I be honest i dont get why anyone needs to have home advantage when it comes to the Wilder v AJ fight. You could have that fight anywhere and it will make the PPV sales for me. I just think for the better of Heavyweight boxing in general it needs to headline that goes to Vegas. I honestly think Eddie Hearn be thinking to himself I have done the big stadiums in the UK. Why not be the first to promote the big AJ v Wilder fight in Vegas gets Matchroom and his fighters over in Vegas and its a big big hit by Hearn to his American promoting rivals. Look at Bob Arum hes 80 plus how long will Bob Arum run Top Rank when he dies will Top Rank loose all there fighters to rivals?? I think Hearn Promoting this alone in the US would be huge for him in the longer term.

I be honest i dont get why anyone needs to have home advantage when it comes to the Wilder v AJ fight. You could have that fight anywhere and it will make the PPV sales for me. I just think for the better of Heavyweight boxing in general it needs to headline that goes to Vegas. I honestly think Eddie Hearn be thinking to himself I have done the big stadiums in the UK. Why not be the first to promote the big AJ v Wilder fight in Vegas gets Matchroom and his fighters over in Vegas and its a big big hit by Hearn to his American promoting rivals. Look at Bob Arum hes 80 plus how long will Bob Arum run Top Rank when he dies will Top Rank loose all there fighters to rivals?? I think Hearn Promoting this alone in the US would be huge for him in the longer term.
I think it will be in Vegas to be honest but because they want it to be not because Wilder holds any clout, I was more talking about who's looking to being more realistic with their demands. We haven't heard any figures yet but I thought I saw AJ saying Wilder needs to be more realistic in a headline over the weekend... I wonder what kind of split he's asked for. As fans we would say just give him what he wants, so us fans can enjoy the fight with our popcorn but if we were in AJ's position I doubt anyone would feel the same if we knew what we were worth we wouldn't let a spin artist try and pull the wool over our eyes or everyone will start doing it.

Last edited:
I saw Tyson Fury was offering a £5000 bet on Parker knocking out Joshua to anyone that wanted it. I like Tyson and find him entertaining but not sure what he sees here, Parker has looked bng average since stepping up in class. Think AJ should take him on in the UK in the Spring as a step up to Wilder in the US.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.