The Boxing thread

Billy Joe is possibly the best boxer in Britain, but Canelo, GGG, and Jacobs is probably the toughest top 3 of any weight division at the moment.

Agree but on that display last night you'd have to give BJS a decent shout at beating at least one of those guys you mentioned. He'd definitely fancy his chances against Jacobs. Canelo and GGG would be the acid tests but there are ways in which BJS can be a nightmare for either one of them, particularly IMO Canelo. It was great to finally see a fully committed performance from him showing us the levels he's capable of reaching when faced with a higher level opponent. Lemieux is in the bracket below the top 3 or 4 MWs in the world and BJS made him look like a complete mug. That takes some doing.

Billy Joe looked well last night. I just dont think he gets near either Canelo or GGG for me the rest are all winable fights for him. Warrens plans were to have BJS V DeGale but with DeGale getting beaten this wont happen sadly.

Also have to say it was great to see Spike O Sullivan getting a good win and it shows that if you keep on going and dont give up you will get rewarded. Spike has never turned any fight down. Its a shame he wont win a world title for me as he deserves it for all the work he has put in. The win last night has sorted him out for a few more big fights around the US for certain.

Other than a washed up Abraham who has Eubank beaten to make you think his levels have rocketed since the first BJS fight? He still does the same shit even now...loads of posing, flashy fast combinations against opponents not wise enough to use the ring and stay clear of his obvious attacks. There's nothing sneaky about Eubank but he brings a lot of intensity and is very fit so if forced to fight at pace for 12 rounds you'd expect him to do so. But BJS boxes rings around him again if he shows up in shape to maintain his own best form over 12 rounds. That was the main issue first time, BJS ran out of steam later in the fight and Eubank was able to make it a dogfight and looked stronger. I'd expect BJS to be far more full of gas second time round and much more able to keep Eubank at arms length.

The Groves fight in Feb will tell us a lot more about Eubank's pedigree and whether he's really smart enough to compete with opponents who have genuine ring craft and will move into areas Eubank doesn't want them to move into.

It's hard to see how Eubank can be making these improvements to elevate him by a couple of levels when he thinks primarily that he is the man to guide his own destiny. Compare his approach to Saunders and how he has switched up his camp and taken on new people, experienced people at the highest level to help him reach closer to his true potential. He was very good against Monroe ( a fighter with the skill and movement to cause someone like Eubank issues) and was phenomenal last night. Let's see Eubank perform to a similar standard at a higher level before we can speculate with any substance that he's capable of reversing that BJS loss.

On the CEJ v Saunders rematch talk, it's a bit pointless now as CEJ has move up a weight and has Groves and possibly Smith to prove himself against. If he's the real deal at that weight, he'll beat them.. I honestly do not know how good he is due to the level of the opponents being poor. Groves is way past his best. Smith was awful in his last fight so couldn't rule it out. And BJS, if his engine is right, he has ability to outbox anyone and a cracking chin. I suspect the GGG jab might damage his face and body shots would kill him within 6. Canelo is the more suitable opponent of the two. But strength-wise he might be too much too! And just to make things even more interesting, GGG/Canelo/BJS are all capable of going up a weight! 2019 could spark further wars in the Super Middleweight Division! Not even mentioned Jacobs lol.

Saunders demonstrated perfectly how to hit and not get hit, by a fighter with a reputation for having a decent punch, he was class, I think he would have to take quite a bit of punishment though if he were to fight triple G or Canelo, they seem to be able to hit anything in the ring, wherever It is.. Cant see BJS putting either of the big two away inside the distance so it may be a step too far him having a crack at them, fair play to him if he does though..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.