"The Boys In Blue" - 44 years ago today

Prestwich_Blue

Strictly speaking it was yesterday (1st April) but on this Saturday 44 years ago, the song was first played at Maine Road before a game against Stoke.

Anyone who saw that game will remember it for other reasons. We were top going into it, a point clear of Leeds & Derby, with Liverpool 4 points behind (it was 2 for a win in those days). Stoke's keeper was the legendary Gordon Banks, who was in his mid-30's at the time.

The Maine Road pitch was in a shocking state and the goal-mouths particularly were like something you'd see on a bad day at Hough End. Rodney Marsh had recently signed for us and started his third game. Ron Healey had replaced the somewhat unreliable Joe Corrigan in nets and there was a crowd of just under 50,000 to see what everyone expected to be a routine City victory against a Stoke side in 15th place.

But Banks was superb in the mud that day and we could only score a single goal, while they got two to effectively end our title challenge, which saw us finish 1 point behind Derby.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking it was yesterday (1st April) but on this Saturday 40 years ago, the song was first played at Maine Road before a game against Stoke.

Anyone who saw that game will remember it for other reasons. We were top going into it, a point clear of Leeds & Derby, with Liverpool 4 points behind (it was 2 for a win in those days). Stoke's keeper was the legendary Gordon Banks, who was in his mid-30's at the time.

The Maine Road pitch was in a shocking state and the goal-mouths particularly were like something you'd see on a bad day at Hough End. Rodney Marsh had recently signed for us and started his third game. Ron Healey had replaced the somewhat unreliable Joe Corrigan in nets and there was a crowd of just under 50,000 to see what everyone expected to be a routine City victory against a Stoke side in 15th place.

But Banks was superb in the mud that day and we could only score a single goal, while they got two to effectively end our title challenge, which saw us finish 1 point behind Derby.
Should have carried on playing Wynn Davies instead of that fancy dan cockney

Davies played that day. It was Tony Towers who got dropped for him. We'd have almost certainly won the title that season if not for that but Banks' performance didn't help.
For me that performance by Banks had at least the same impact on our title chances as Rodney's signing, his double save from Frannie at the Platt Lane end in the second half was incredible, as good as that one from Pele. It's fair to say our defending for the Stoke goals wasn't exactly top drawer either. If we'd beaten Stoke I think we'd have had the momentum to go on and win it.

I've still got that record as well.
Me too, nothing to play it on though!

Strictly speaking it was yesterday (1st April) but on this Saturday 44 years ago, the song was first played at Maine Road before a game against Stoke.

Only 1 point behind the champions Derby yet we finished 4th.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.