The budget

The young are rising against them so they will chuck in a few sweeteners for them but they usually fuck it up so it will be something and nothing.

Personally I think they should take everyone on minimum wage out of paying tax by raising the personal allowance to that level paying for this by reducing the level at which people pay 40 and 45% tax and means testing winter fuel allowance.

Firefighters are leaving in record numbers as well now they always say there’s plenty to take your place but it takes upto a year to recruit and train to get someone in and then another 3 years probation, these new recruits don’t plan on staying for 40 years so big problems ahead for us. I think the police are even worse off.
I don’t there are plenty to take these places. You are right there are big problems ahead, and if reports of a £20 billion budget black hole are accurate, it ain’t getting any easier.

If they don’t start paying attention to public sector workers soon they’ll be a deep recruitment crisis there. 20% of teachers recruited leave within 5 years. It’s starting to become a real problem.

Will a percent increase really solve this? Study after study shows that pay is not linked to long term job happiness. Ask any teacher are they stressed with the teaching workload or just paid really badly, you will get one answer.. Or maybe an answer of both... It has however been proven many times that paying someone more is just a sticking plaster to make someone put up with the environment they work in. I know a few teachers and none complain about pay, only the job and conditions they have to work in.

I agree that public sector wages should rise in line with inflation but I think it should at the very least be graded appropriately for those at the bottom.. Civil servants, top doctors, managers and leaders do not need an above inflation pay rise..

Will a percent increase really solve this? Study after study shows that pay is not linked to long term job happiness. Ask any teacher are they stressed with the teaching workload or just paid really badly, you will get one answer.. Or maybe an answer of both... It has however been proven many times that paying someone more is just a sticking plaster to make someone put up with the environment they work in. I know a few teachers and none complain about pay, only the job and conditions they have to work in.

I agree that public sector wages should rise in line with inflation but I think it should at the very least be graded appropriately for those at the bottom.. Civil servants, top doctors, managers and leaders do not need an above inflation pay rise..

It’s a fair point that increasing pay doesn’t increase happiness or job satisfaction. I have a friend who’s thinking of giving up fire fighting locally to move to London to give paid technical advice to TV companies on how fires should be tackled, I guess to make them more authentic?

I know teachers who post Gove have had enough. The pressure is immense, floor targets extremely hard to attain, with budgets so tight that every budget is stripped right back.

I guess I don’t know the answer but I do know Justine Greening diverting some money is plastering over significant funding issues.

I think the thing that will annoy a lot of the public sector is the sneering and
jeering from the conservatives as they continue the cuts and caps.

Perhaps when £2m people access food banks, increasing numbers of people become “self-employed” to shrink the state the government will feel happy with themselves. They’ll award themselves a pay rise and reward their backers with tax breaks, whilst the rest wonder what’s just happened.

I think a significant pay rise will reward those who have put up with shit for years but it does just pause over the cracks people feel undervalued and it’s getting worse, people may say there are lots to take their places but they ain’t necessarily the right people.

Promise EVERYTHING then do nothing - staves off crises for another 6 months or so
Like the Gordon Brown trick of announcing tax changes (sorry, rises) that didn't come in for 18 months, so people were much less fussed about them. And hopefully forgotten altogether by the time they came in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.