The Courteeners

Shands said:
I wasn't suggesting they were innovative Peoffrey, just pointing out that they and the other bands mentioned don't fit into that lad-rock, haircut/dress code persona that BB2 was getting at. In actuality If you throw in bands like Nine Black Alps, The Ting-Tings and May68, I'd say that over the last decade the majority of bands from the north west that have broken through and reached nationwide audiences have actively shunned the cities perceived image. The Courteeners and perhaps Twisted Wheel being the exceptions to the rule.

Just as an aside I would take slight issue with Delphic being purely a dance-rock band though; the latest album is very pop, hip-hop and r&b influenced, but I take your overall point.

I've not actually got the latest Delphic album but I might stream it later. Counterpoint is a tune and a half.

I bet they are fucking gutted about not being rated by an internet fuckwit, living out a character on Bluemoon and a couple of middle aged blokes who are more Johnny Vegas than John Lennon.

So much vitriol about a band making music. Mental stuff. Some people like different stuff to you shocker.

jma said:
I bet they are fucking gutted about not being rated by an internet fuckwit, living out a character on Bluemoon and a couple of middle aged blokes who are more Johnny Vegas than John Lennon.

So much vitriol about a band making music. Mental stuff. Some people like different stuff to you shocker.

Thats what i said earlier you crow!

MCFC BOB said:
Don't bother. As much as I enjoyed their first album, Delphic's new album is bollocks.

Do bother Peoffrey and make up your own mind. Personally I really like it, but I'm definitely in a minority. They've changed style and it's alienated swathes of their fanbase who understandably just wanted them to make version two of the debut record. The press response seems to be summed up in, to paraphrase, 'They made a strong first record, that never got the recognition it deserved, so why do they have to try and do something new?', which to me answers it's own question really. Essentially the new album is, by design, a pop record. They wanted to make music that could be comparable to chart fair but has authenticity and quality to it. I think they did that and I really enjoy it, but you on the other hand may hate it. Give it a try though with an open mind and see what you think.

Shands said:
MCFC BOB said:
Don't bother. As much as I enjoyed their first album, Delphic's new album is bollocks.

Do bother Peoffrey and make up your own mind. Personally I really like it, but I'm definitely in a minority. They've changed style and it's alienated swathes of their fanbase who understandably just wanted them to make version two of the debut record. The press response seems to be summed up in, to paraphrase, 'They made a strong first record, that never got the recognition it deserved, so why do they have to try and do something new?', which to me answers it's own question really. Essentially the new album is, by design, a pop record. They wanted to make music that could be comparable to chart fair but has authenticity and quality to it. I think they did that and I really enjoy it, but you on the other hand may hate it. Give it a try though with an open mind and see what you think.
So they are sell outs?

Sheikh said:
Shands said:
MCFC BOB said:

So they are sell outs?

Not to me because I don't believe in the idea of 'sell outs'. They wanted to make a pop influenced record and that's what they did, good luck to them. The easy option would probably have been for them just to play it safe and produce more of the same stylistically (which again I don't have a problem with) but they chose to step out of the comfort zone. As a band you don't owe your fanbase in my eyes - it's your career, you probably only get one shot at it, so make the music that interests and excites you, after all you're the ones who are going to have to play it live for the next year and a half. If people like it they buy it, if not they don't, dead easy.

Shands said:
Sheikh said:
Shands said:
So they are sell outs?

Not to me because I don't believe in the idea of 'sell outs'. They wanted to make a pop influenced record and that's what they did, good luck to them. The easy option would probably have been for them just to play it safe and produce more of the same stylistically (which again I don't have a problem with) but they chose to step out of the comfort zone. As a band you don't owe your fanbase in my eyes - it's your career, you probably only get one shot at it, so make the music that interests and excites you, after all you're the ones who are going to have to play it live for the next year and a half. If people like it they buy it, if not they don't, dead easy.
They are making music that will chart/sell/make them money, you've already stated that in your earlier post.

Music for lager drinkers.

How does anyone keep up to date with new music? I traditionally read the NME but never always get round to buying. It reminds me when my favourite bands new albums are out (i.e. The Courteeners, British Sea Power) and also favourable reviews inspire me to stream something before deciding what to download alongside checking out their back catalogue. That's how I got in to Los Campesinos! and The Cribs. I didn't know about the new Delphic record until this thread and will give it a listen now.

Sheikh said:
Shands said:
Sheikh said:
So they are sell outs?

They are making music that will chart/sell/make them money, you've already stated that in your earlier post.

Music for lager drinkers.

So what? Are you saying a band can't create credible music and still aspire to try and make money from it, because that appears to be the inference in your post? As is stands Delphic are likely to make far far less from this record than they are from their debut, because there was never any chance that they would crack the charts, as well they know. The motivation for making a 'pop' influenced record was not fame or monetary gain, it was the desire to make tunes with strong melodies and good beats, because that is the music they themselves enjoy at the moment. I don't see how that makes them 'sell outs' in any way, quite the opposite in fact - they haven't compromised their own tastes to please others, they've followed what they enjoy. They weren't trying to 'break the charts' just make tunes that theoretically, if given the chance, would sound good on the radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.