The End is Nigh.....

I just use to walk past him thinking fecking nutter. I was young then, now I would probably pick his brains out of curiosity.
Anyone on here actually have a conversation with him?
Thinking of Maine Rd my mam found a few king of the Kippax mags of mine recently in the loft. I would buy them thinking I was it... I can never actually remember reading one though.
The fella who produced it eludes me but as soon as I hear his name it will flood back.
He was John Pennington from Carrington. He was a friend of my dad's. My dad wouldn't walk round with sandwich boards or banners on a pole, but he would often preach from Speakers Corner outside Central Library. This would have been in the 80s.

John Pennington wasn't a nutter. He was someone who held different views to most people and he wanted us all to turn away from our sinful ways and follow his Christian beliefs.

No problem pal, just my view as a teenager in the eighties. As said today I would probably pick his brain for his point of view.
Haha. I wasn't having a dig at you. This was everyone's perception, and quite understandable. John Pennington was an eccentric, and so was my father. Very colourful characters, who had sincere beliefs, and weren't ashamed to proclaim them. If you had chatted to him, he would have been polite to you. He would have tried to explain things from the bible, and he would would definitely invited you to church, and maybe even to his house for tea also.

Christians still do this kind of hospitality and evangelism. Normally in the form of an Alpha Course or similar these days. More low key.

Haha. I wasn't having a dig at you. This was everyone's perception, and quite understandable. John Pennington was an eccentric, and so was my father. Very colourful characters, who had sincere beliefs, and weren't ashamed to proclaim them. If you had chatted to him, he would have been polite to you. He would have tried to explain things from the bible, and he would would definitely invited you to church, and maybe even to his house for tea also.

Christians still do this kind of hospitality and evangelism. Normally in the form of an Alpha Course or similar these days. More low key.
Well fair play to your Father and Mr Pennington we could do with a few of those type of characters in this day and age. Thanks for enlightening me pal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.