The end of Page 3 girls

Instead of the feminist campaigning for the end of the page 3 girl resulting in a lot of you women now on the job scrapheap
why dont the feminist's campaign for equality and get the page 8 mate back its only fair

The whole things seems to be a bit of a hollow victory for these campaigners.

How is The Sun any different from magazines like Zoo in that they're privately owned institutions who offer the opportunity for women to model in exchange for money? They're objectively absolutely no different, both of them can decide to put what they want within the pages (within reason) and then the consumer can decide whether they want to buy it or not. If you don't like them putting women on page 3, don't purchase it, or gain public support and boycott it.

You're either against ALL objectification of women in magazines/newspapers (which seems a bit Victorian and many would argue actually restricts the freedom of women to choose what they want to do with their body) or you just try to avoid purchasing the material of a specific product.

The only reason they've targeted this one example is because it's got a higher level of circulation. It feels like it would have made more sense for them to target the industry and ask for literature containing nudity to have a minimum age of purchase, maybe? Not that I particularly agree with that, it's more that I don't particularly understand what this has really achieved in a wider context.

Id agree that this is nothing more than a publicity stunt by Murdoch. Page 3 is hardly offensive compared with some material available in this day and age. Id rather that a teenage boy get his kicks from a page 3 picture which, it could be argued, doesn't objectify women but rather encorages an adoration of an attractive young girl with great tits than from some of the stuff available online which promotes the humiliation of either sex.
Im all in favour of a bit of objectification whether this takes the form of art through the centuries or the sorely missed gratuitous lads thread :-)

Isn't it just to drive people to their web site where you can still see the girls? Not bothered one way or the others really about girls making money getting their kit off - good luck to them

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsaoPaDxZNA[/video]

There's a few in this video, circa 4 mins
Maria Whittaker. Crikey, what a bow wow

Sarah Jaffer
Corrine Russell
Lisa Bangert
and Linda Lusardi were amongst my faves

BlueBearBoots said:
Isn't it just to drive people to their web site where you can still see the girls? Not bothered one way or the others really about girls making money getting their kit off - good luck to them

It seems odd to me that anybody would go and load up their website which is full of ads and other crap when you can just google image search "page 3 girl" and get the same result a lot faster.

There's no doubt that this has just been a bit of cheap publicity for Murdoch but I honestly can't see the site benefiting from it that much.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The simple fact is, who needs page 3 when you have Google?

The only people I can think would buy The Sun are a) people who like Michael Bay, and let's be honest, they're not human and b) South Yorkshire Police.

who needs a news paper when you have google

lefty goldblatt said:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsaoPaDxZNA[/video]

There's a few in this video, circa 4 mins
Maria Whittaker. Crikey, what a bow wow

Sarah Jaffer
Corrine Russell
Lisa Bangert
and Linda Lusardi were amongst my faves
R.I.P Phill.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The simple fact is, who needs page 3 when you have Google?

The only people I can think would buy The Sun are a) people who like Michael Bay, and let's be honest, they're not human and b) South Yorkshire Police.

Whilst I wish that were true the Sun is the most widely circulated newspaper in the UK, selling 2.2m per day in 2014. The good news is that this has dropped by about a third from 3.1m in the last 5 years. The Sun and The Star are the two publications which look like they're suffering the most in the new digital era but every publication's paper format is dropping like a stone. It wouldn't be too outrageous to think paper news could be a thing of the past within the next ten years.

Wiki

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.