The Ford Capri

nowt wrong with a Dyane - I had one I painted in desert cam - UVR 330 K - great paint job but floor made of rust and glass fibre lol. Just watching van der Valk on YouTube - remember the DAF 33/44 variomatic ? Interesting car - as fast in reverse as going forwards ! Funny the lead actor drives a DAF but when it comes to a chase he suddenly appears in a Cortina .... otherwise he would never catch the FIAT 124 he was chasing ha ha

I had a Mk1 1600 GT XLR Capri. Mid blue with a black vinyl roof (think it had been resprayed). It had the power bulge on bonnet, and I had a similar one in my 19 year old pants.

It had Lucas spotlights fitted, and a fucking radio cassette player!!

I absolutely adored it, even tho I couldn't afford to run it at all. I never taxed or insured it, it was easier to get away with that in the early 80's

It was fitted with a Weber twin choke carburettor. If i put my foot down, the rev counter span to the right, and the fuel gauge to the left at an equivalent speed. It was fearsomely thirsty.

As i couldn't even afford to put petrol in it, it followed that I couldn't maintain or look after it, and it started to rot around me. I had to sell it after 18 months at big loss.

I have no regrets whatsoever, and I had some memorable times in it....

I had a 1600 GT with a power bulge. Great car, I'd put a photo up if I could do.

I had an M reg purple and grey Mk1.5 1.6 litre Capri in the mid 80s with a black vinyl roof. It got nicked about three times and always ended up being found in Miles Platting for some reason. Sold it for £50 to the milk man.

I had an M reg purple and grey Mk1.5 1.6 litre Capri in the mid 80s with a black vinyl roof. It got nicked about three times and always ended up being found in Miles Platting for some reason. Sold it for £50 to the milk man.

Now you see Watson/Holmes ( insert sidekick name here ) - my guess would be that all the clues point to the thief being a resident of Miles Platting............the foil milk bottle tops left inside the car make me think he is probably a milk man...............

Regarding Miles Planting, I worked on the council house refurbishment scheme there from 85 - 90. It must have been the car theft capital of Manchester. We regularly, weekly, had to report cars burnt out or cars dumped in the Rochdale canal. The kids, as young as 10, used to do doughnuts up and down the road in the day time. And the stolen bus by a 13 year old was one to remember!

I had a crappy mini metro that never got stolen! Loved working there, happy days!

nowt wrong with a Dyane - I had one I painted in desert cam - UVR 330 K - great paint job but floor made of rust and glass fibre lol. Just watching van der Valk on YouTube - remember the DAF 33/44 variomatic ? Interesting car - as fast in reverse as going forwards ! Funny the lead actor drives a DAF but when it comes to a chase he suddenly appears in a Cortina .... otherwise he would never catch the FIAT 124 he was chasing ha ha
Yeah, the DAF Variomatic, a strange thing for sure, wasn't everything driven by one big fuck off belt
that had a tendency to snap? My dad had a small body repair shop and had one in for some job or other, I had a flirt
about in it, it was actually quite smooth, but there was this sense of foreboding about it, as if it couldn't possibly
keep up that slowly increasing seamless speed increase without something going bang.
Which, apparently happened regularly.

Yeah, the DAF Variomatic, a strange thing for sure, wasn't everything driven by one big fuck off belt
that had a tendency to snap? My dad had a small body repair shop and had one in for some job or other, I had a flirt
about in it, it was actually quite smooth, but there was this sense of foreboding about it, as if it couldn't possibly
keep up that slowly increasing seamless speed increase without something going bang.
Which, apparently happened regularly.

Two belts I think - constantly variable cones that expanded and shrank to keep the engine in the right point on the power curve for what you were doing. I think they were good for 30 - 40k before changing was needed as part of routine maintenance - course as a cheap often 2nd car this didn't get done and by about 10 years old and 56-60k they would snap on some poor bugger which was the same as the gear box going in a conventional car.

It was further developed in the 80's by van Doorne in Holland I think and became the CVT gearbox which had metal "belts" and got good write ups - it was adopted as the auto box in Fiesta's, Uno's, and Panda's amongst others

Two belts I think - constantly variable cones that expanded and shrank to keep the engine in the right point on the power curve for what you were doing. I think they were good for 30 - 40k before changing was needed as part of routine maintenance - course as a cheap often 2nd car this didn't get done and by about 10 years old and 56-60k they would snap on some poor bugger which was the same as the gear box going in a conventional car.

It was further developed in the 80's by van Doorne in Holland I think and became the CVT gearbox which had metal "belts" and got good write ups - it was adopted as the auto box in Fiesta's, Uno's, and Panda's amongst others
Did you ever see one of these in anything other than yellow? Every one I remember, back in the 70's was always
yellow. Interesting about the two belts, and the gearboxes, I didn't know they were the catalyst for CVT boxes.

Regarding Miles Planting, I worked on the council house refurbishment scheme there from 85 - 90. It must have been the car theft capital of Manchester. We regularly, weekly, had to report cars burnt out or cars dumped in the Rochdale canal. The kids, as young as 10, used to do doughnuts up and down the road in the day time. And the stolen bus by a 13 year old was one to remember!

I had a crappy mini metro that never got stolen! Loved working there, happy days!
It never got burnt out. It was so easy to steal (any key would unlock and start it) that people just used to nick it to drive home from town as it was cheaper than a taxi. The dashboard got removed by one thief but it still started.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.