The Great City Fire Sale, summer 2008

Kun Aguero said:
Rascal said:
It would have been 36,637 if it wasnt for that Thai **** taking over :)

I take it you didn't taste his noodles?

I gave my STs up and didnt attend a game again until last season. I spent a lot of energy and emotion on here trying to make people see we were being taken over by a ****. A **** who nearly ruined us for his own political aims.

I can honestly say i hate the Thai **** with a passion.

Its a few years back now obviously and i dont recall much PBs posts on the matter as generally it was a handful of us against BM at the time night after night and it was vitriolic in the extreme and i ended up taking a sabbatical from BM as well

Perhaps i could have returned and gloated when things were going tits up but i didnt and even now im not totally enamoured with things now, purely from a political perspective though.

Funny how your ideals cost you dear though. If i hadnt followed my moral code i would have been on the second tier right above where Sergio was jumped all over when he scored that goal. Instead i was in a pub.

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

I'm doubtful about the story and I am not a lawyer but I don't see why you could not construct a contract to accommodate the scenario that would bind ADUG to complete the deal if one of a specified list of players was purchased by a set time and date, with the relevant amount of money to buy the shares already placed in escrow. Sounds far fetched but I put it out there because I was interested to see if anyone else had heard something similar.
I suppose the whole thaksin/adug story is pretty damn far fetched- classic city soap opera/Roy of the rovers stuff, so who knows ? I'd be extremely shocked if it was true though. An investment like they were making is much more long term than throwing a dice like that.

I'm skeptical too but I got the story from someone that I trust who has a happy knack of getting good info. If there is any truth to it, it may have been a test of the potential of the club. I did wonder if it was simply a test of Cook & Co's abilities and whether he kept his job in the new regime.

Rascal said:
I gave my STs up and didnt attend a game again until last season. I spent a lot of energy and emotion on here trying to make people see we were being taken over by a ****. A **** who nearly ruined us for his own political aims.

Wow. Why do you go to that extreme? What did you know that some of us either didn't or chose to ignore?

1961_vintage said:
Rascal said:

Wow. Why do you go to that extreme? What did you know that some of us either didn't or chose to ignore?

Maybe the fact he was accused of killing thousands of people?

1961_vintage said:
Rascal said:

Would the fact that i will never buy any City stuff that is Nike branded help?

Its hard to walk away from something you love so dear but i did so knowing i had a clear conscience and i certaily do not expect others to see the world through my parameters and i do not think ill of those who stayed and supported the team.

We all make choices about things

1961_vintage said:
Rascal said:

His terrible human rights record was well known. But most city fans didn't really care because he was loaded.

Great thread about a fascinating period in our history.

If I remember right the fire sale rumours started on Channel 5 with Danny mills commenting. Wasnt he still a city player at the time? at half time it was like they'd got an exclusive.

Memory gets hazy but there was rumours Corluka had been sold but I think he played this game and scored in a penalty shoot out. I also think I read the Ireland story on here at the time.

Pretty sure the multiple faxed offers story has been reported in several places as well although that doesn't necessarily make it true ;)

Didsbury Dave said:
1961_vintage said:
Rascal said:

His terrible human rights record was well known. But most city fans didn't really care because he was loaded.

Correct pal

At the time few cared about his history, it was about his money, sadly.

I remember reading at the time of the Thai takeover that Bernstein had recommended against it. Is that true?

The whole thing kinda made a mockery of the fit and proper person's test, didn't it? Ignoring his human rights record, he didn't have access to his money. You'd have thought the FA's tests for potential chairmen would take that sort of thing into account.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.