The Kinks

urban genie

I defy anyone to find a bad song by The Kinks.
Just been listening to Arthur and you won't get a better written LP full of songs that all stand out on their own.

But then I looked at my collection and I strugle to find one bad song (well maybe some of the 80's stuff )

Ray davies writing is some of the best there has been and some of the musical stylings were influential in so much music of th eperiod (70's rock, Psychedelic bands, punk, mod, heavy metal, indie) even pete townsend credited them as one of his influences.

Maybe the most under rated band of tgat 60's period, but I would say they are vastly underated for the musical class they were.

some well known and not so well known of theirs

Last edited:
Superb band, with the original 'Edgy' feel. 'You really got me' is a blistering, sexually charged powerhouse of a song, that
totally blew away us 60's young boppers, and it was described later as the first, and best Punk song. Ray Davies' writing centred
on his daily experiences, 'Lola' which was the Kinks comeback song in 1970, recounts his experiences of Transsexual clubs in London,
which he visited for the experience.
This whimsical take on the punishingly brutal British tax system in the 60's is one of my favourites...

Growing up as a teenager in the `60`s when the Mersey Sound was at its peak,this was my group.As soon as I heard "You Really Got Me" I was a massive fan and that was that.I saw them live in 1967 in Winsford as they were the official band to christen our new Civic Hall and City were playing at Sheffield United that day.
I left the game at 4.25 pm so that I could catch the train back into Victoria so that I could then catch my connection back to Northwich.
Brilliant,brilliant group and what a wonderful song writer Ray Davies is.I watched a documentary a few years ago about his brother Dave who is now a recluse/hermit living on Bodmin Moor and Ray himself has suffered with mental health problems for years.
Only thing I don`t like about either of them ... they are Spurs fans. ;)

Superb band, with the original 'Edgy' feel. 'You really got me' is a blistering, sexually charged powerhouse of a song, that
totally blew away us 60's young boppers, and it was described later as the first, and best Punk song. Ray Davies' writing centred
on his daily experiences, 'Lola' which was the Kinks comeback song in 1970, recounts his experiences of Transsexual clubs in London,
which he visited for the experience.
This whimsical take on the punishingly brutal British tax system in the 60's is one of my favourites...

Born in the 70's myself, but as a kid me dad had a lot of LP's (400+ at the time) in the front room and he would listen to them most days after tea, as the telly went off because tgere was fuck all on, he had all the 60's music, beatles, stones , byrds CSNY, small faces, who, the move, etc. Occassinally he would ask us if we wanted anything on and I always asked for the kinks, loved them since a child and still think they are the best there has been

Growing up as a teenager in the `60`s when the Mersey Sound was at its peak,this was my group.As soon as I heard "You Really Got Me" I was a massive fan and that was that.I saw them live in 1967 in Winsford as they were the official band to christen our new Civic Hall and City were playing at Sheffield United that day.
I left the game at 4.25 pm so that I could catch the train back into Victoria so that I could then catch my connection back to Northwich.
Brilliant,brilliant group and what a wonderful song writer Ray Davies is.I watched a documentary a few years ago about his brother Dave who is now a recluse/hermit living on Bodmin Moor and Ray himself has suffered with mental health problems for years.
Only thing I don`t like about either of them ... they are Spurs fans. ;)

Yer know, oakie, I should have written that song when I turned up to my first game at Maine Road. Another opportunity that passed me by!!

The Kinks with Sir Ray - a proper band! Love 'em!

Have a listen to the follow up to 'You really got me,' another cracker, with Dave's brilliant clattering guitar break...

Village green preservation Society,
Arthur and the decline and fall of the british empire
& Something else are LP's on a par (of for me better) than the beatles and stones best offerings.

Villahe green in particular has so many different musical styles that all just fitt so well togetger song to song and Arthur is one of the best concept albulms written.

I defy anyone to find a bad song by The Kinks.
Just been listening to Arthur and you won't get a better written LP full of songs that all stand out on their own.

But then I looked at my collection and I strugle to find one bad song (well maybe some of the 80's stuff )

Ray davies writing is some of the best there has been and some of the musical stylings were influential in so much music of th eperiod (70's rock, Psychedelic bands, punk, mod, heavy metal, indie) even pete townsend credited them as one of his influences.

Maybe the most under rated band of tgat 60's period, but I would say they are vastly underated for the musical class they were.
Agreed, The Kinks are great. Not sure about the underrated bit though, all the musos I knock about with appreciate them and their influence was huge

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.