The most widely supported team in the world is....

Unknown_Genius said:
Benfica. Has over 160,398 paid-up members. Only found this out today, quite surprised.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by 'paid-up members'? I heard a while back that Benfica were the most widely supported team in the world but I wondered how they measured it.

Falz said:
Unknown_Genius said:
Benfica. Has over 160,398 paid-up members. Only found this out today, quite surprised.

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by 'paid-up members'? I heard a while back that Benfica were the most widely supported team in the world but I wondered how they measured it.
In terms of membership with the club much the same as barca Madrid and so on where you can pay a yearly membership fee benfica have the most paid members of there club where as the rags say they have 8 billion supporters or whatever they claim they have no figures to actually back this up where as benfica have there members log. Bit of a skewed statistic though as benfica's members also have a scheme where they own part of the players and benefit from player sales. Not sure on the exact details but it was on here a few months ago saying something about it like if benfica where to try and sell a player for a small fee I think there members have a right to veto the move but a the same time if they are offered an acceptable amount and the fans want the sale and the club doesn't I think the club might have to compensate the fans in some way. So fans benefit from being members as opposed to just showing there support by becoming a member. Some details might not be as printed but I think that is the jist of it<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:18 pm --<br /><br />I know benfica have the proof to be called the best supported through memberships but I remember a while back hearing that Juventus where the worlds biggest supported team mainly to do with Italian immigration to america and austrialia and spreading there support that way. Wouldn't count Asian or African as supporters as most follow the successful teams at the time or players of their nation regardless of the team they play for. For example in Ghana lots of people would follow Chelsea because of essien but if he moved to us lots of those people would follow city because again we have their player

db79ctid said:
Falz said:
In terms of membership with the club much the same as barca Madrid and so on where you can pay a yearly membership fee benfica have the most paid members of there club where as the rags say they have 8 billion supporters or whatever they claim they have no figures to actually back this up where as benfica have there members log. Bit of a skewed statistic though as benfica's members also have a scheme where they own part of the players and benefit from player sales. Not sure on the exact details but it was on here a few months ago saying something about it like if benfica where to try and sell a player for a small fee I think there members have a right to veto the move but a the same time if they are offered an acceptable amount and the fans want the sale and the club doesn't I think the club might have to compensate the fans in some way. So fans benefit from being members as opposed to just showing there support by becoming a member. Some details might not be as printed but I think that is the jist of it

-- Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:18 pm --

I know benfica have the proof to be called the best supported through memberships but I remember a while back hearing that Juventus where the worlds biggest supported team mainly to do with Italian immigration to america and austrialia and spreading there support that way. Wouldn't count Asian or African as supporters as most follow the successful teams at the time or players of their nation regardless of the team they play for. For example in Ghana lots of people would follow Chelsea because of essien but if he moved to us lots of those people would follow city because again we have their player

That's interesting. So, are you saying that certain members may benefit financially from their membership and therefore may not be classed as proper 'supporters' as they only signed up for this reason? Can you imagine the Rags doing this and us vetoing their purchases of new players? Haha

i always wondered how they considered young 16 year old, chinese girls who have learned to say "giggsy" to be a fan. they're as much of a united fan as the knobheads in the hull factory where i work. never been to old trafford, never will and knows fuck all about united's history.

i saw all i needed to when the semi final draw was made and not one muttered anything about the possibility of actually getting a ticket and going.

citykev28 said:
i always wondered how they considered young 16 year old, chinese girls who have learned to say "giggsy" to be a fan. they're as much of a united fan as the knobheads in the hull factory where i work. never been to old trafford, never will and knows fuck all about united's history.

i saw all i needed to when the semi final draw was made and not one muttered anything about the possibility of actually getting a ticket and going.

lmao so true.

Just only because Barcelona and Real Madrid have a limited Membership. Both could easy have 200k Members, but they dont want.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.