The National Anthem

Funny you should say that! Last night I watched 2 games at the Tampa Bay Rowdies stadium - New York City v Montreal and The Rowdies v Philadelphia.
We had to stand for the Canadian anthem and then the star spangled banner before the first game and again the Yank one before the 2nd game.... I had a wry smile on my face stood there. Didn't boo though....

You’re so edgy

I'm agnostic and dont root for the royals but the main reason I won't sing the anthem is because its fucking shit. What a boring monotone pile fo crap. Hardly inspiring.

I'm agnostic and dont root for the royals but the main reason I won't sing the anthem is because its fucking shit. What a boring monotone pile fo crap. Hardly inspiring.
The OP's and everybody's point can be seen on this thread (thats the dilemma with these things)

I always thought the best song was Elgars Land Of Hope & Glory

You should have been here in 1745. Nearly brought the house down!

I'm an atheist and anti royal. My Dad always hated the national anthem but stood up for Land of Hope and Glory and I do the same

I'm an atheist and anti royal. My Dad always hated the national anthem but stood up for Land of Hope and Glory and I do the same
"God who made thee mighty...?"

Once again Blues will be asked to stand up and sing the national anthem at Wembley on Sunday.
As an atheist and anti royalist, I reject the national anthem. How can i ask some force / being that I do not believe exists, to save someone whose authority I reject?

I was there in 81 (twice), 86, 99 and 2011 against the rags and boo'd then and shall boo again watching on the tele in a bar in Tampa bay!
I read this to my wife just now and she said;

"Oh for Christ sake, just sing it...does it matter"" ....:)

I just read the programme and hope it's over quick.

I can't stand the Royals, have no belief in religion and consider being British purely an accident of birth by being from Withington - completely unarsed by my nationality.
Each to their own I guess

It's a song that mentions the Monarchist and religious traditions of the country. You don't have to believe in either for it to be relevant, you just need to understand why they were important in the foundation and history of the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.