The NHS and its future

B B

blueinsa

New thread here to discuss our NHS, its future and how we fund it.

I've not put this into the general politics thread, nor anywhere near the brexit thread because for me, the NHS has been a political football for far too long as parties use it to score points, make promises they cant or wont keep and systematically underfund it whilst blaming each other for ever increasing operational issues.

For me we need a new tax, ring fenced in its entirety that will fund both the NHS and social care in this country. National insurance is the way to go with increases for those able to afford, especially those over 40 which i am btw as well as richer OAP's in the UK.

The younger section of society would pay a minimum amount as well as those on minimum wage.

If we dont do it under the existing NI contributions then a new, separate tax should be introduced.

Finally, we appoint a business team of business experts to run the whole thing with no input whatsoever from the government of the day other than the treasury collecting tax and passing it on in its entirety.

My thoughts on it and will be interested to hear especially from those who work in the NHS as to their thoughts and ideas as well as everyone else.

A bit deep for me at the minute,but..

Since i broke my shoulder i was at casualty , in, out triaged,xray,doctor,treatment all in 40mins
been #clinic 3 times and in on time,xrayed each time as well,all really quick
ongoing but so far excellent service
not local is my only prob but thats another subject i guess

a separate income tax to be distributed nationally, ring-fenced, then a variable annual contribution based on how many times you use various services against your income. So if you use your GP a lot, you will make more of a contribution but that will go back into that local service for you. If you're in A&E constantly, your contribution will go there etc. Set against your income, but your usage will be recorded and if you suddenly start doing well for yourself, then like your student loans you will start to pay more back. So if you have a serious illness, can't work and get minimal sick leave pay if any, then you'll get it free, but if you then go back to work, set up your own business and do really well, you'll then start to pay back.

If you never need it, you'll just pay the flat rate which will be based on your income.

or get the multinationals to pay their fair share and if they can't do that then charged them a proper estimated tax bill based on turnover plus 100%.
Anyone caught tax dodging loses the house they live in by compulsory purchase of £0 and assets seized. Anyone caught using offshore accounts get an estimated bill plus 100% as well. If they don't complain in the first year then keep doubling until they do the right thing and open up all their accounts.

that should bring in an extra £10bn a year for the NHS plus it would would f**k Cayman United up royally

The problem with ring-fenced taxes is that we've been there before & they haven't worked. National Insurance was a ring-fenced tax as was road tax. They eventually get absorbed in the overall revenue stream.

Agreed but id want the running of the NHS taken completely out of the hands of the government of the day and handed over to a business leader and his team.

It can no longer be treated as a political football imo and it has to be run professionally and as economically as possible whilst providing its services.

a separate income tax to be distributed nationally, ring-fenced, then a variable annual contribution based on how many times you use various services against your income. So if you use your GP a lot, you will make more of a contribution but that will go back into that local service for you. If you're in A&E constantly, your contribution will go there etc. Set against your income, but your usage will be recorded and if you suddenly start doing well for yourself, then like your student loans you will start to pay more back. So if you have a serious illness, can't work and get minimal sick leave pay if any, then you'll get it free, but if you then go back to work, set up your own business and do really well, you'll then start to pay back.

If you never need it, you'll just pay the flat rate which will be based on your income.
How would you bill foreign nationals? US style no insurance no treatment?

The problem with ring-fenced taxes is that we've been there before & they haven't worked. National Insurance was a ring-fenced tax as was road tax. They eventually get absorbed in the overall revenue stream.

agreed NI was to pay for the war if I remember correctly more than 50 years later and we're still paying it

Agreed but id want the running of the NHS taken completely out of the hands of the government of the day and handed over to a business leader and his team.

It can no longer be treated as a political football imo and it has to be run professionally and as economically as possible whilst providing its services.

It's sensible that business people run the thing as they know how to balance the books better in my opinion

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.