Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Dalian Blue said:
By way of contrast, in the last week I have visited three museums in the Manchester & Salford area, all free entry:
Wednesday, National Football Museum*;
Thursday, MOSI & The Air and Space museum;
Friday, Salford museum and art gallery.

I was particularly impressed to stumble on the Local History library at Salford, I'll be paying another visit there to do some research.

My point being that although I believe that more local history should be taught in school, there are plenty of facilities available within Greater Manchester for those who have sufficient interest to do their own research.

*I wasn't impressed with the football museum, I can understand having rag shit in the displays but the shop on the way out was full of rag shite, surely there shouldn't be any bias in there? (I suppose that this point may be better on the 'agenda' thread!)

Where is the Air & Space Museum? I think my young lad would get a kick out of that, next time we're over.

mad4city said:
Dalian Blue said:
By way of contrast, in the last week I have visited three museums in the Manchester & Salford area, all free entry:

I was particularly impressed to stumble on the Local History library at Salford, I'll be paying another visit there to do some research.

My point being that although I believe that more local history should be taught in school, there are plenty of facilities available within Greater Manchester for those who have sufficient interest to do their own research.

*I wasn't impressed with the football museum, I can understand having rag shit in the displays but the shop on the way out was full of rag shite, surely there shouldn't be any bias in there? (I suppose that this point may be better on the 'agenda' thread!)

Where is the Air & Space Museum? I think my young lad would get a kick out of that, next time we're over.

It's right across from the Museum of Science & Industry, on Liverpool road just off Deansgate towards the Castlefield end. That's why I said three museums as MOSI and the Air & Space are together. I bet your lad would like MOSI as well!

Dalian Blue said:

You should check out the Manchester People's History Museum. It talks a bit about Peterloo and is free entry. I really enjoyed it when I went.

Also I'm surprized that in a city like Manchester where there is so much local history that it sounds like hardly any of it is taught in schools. Even in here in Saskatchewan where settlement is only getting close to 150 years there are a lot of field trips relating to local history.

otherwise said:
Dalian Blue said:

You should check out the Manchester People's History Museum. It talks a bit about Peterloo and is free entry. I really enjoyed it when I went.

Also I'm surprized that in a city like Manchester where there is so much local history that it sounds like hardly any of it is taught in schools. Even in here in Saskatchewan where settlement is only getting close to 150 years there are a lot of field trips relating to local history.

Thanks for the info, I've put that on my list of things to do next week. I've been living away from the Manchester area since 1997 (most of that time overseas) and as I now have 3 months or so here before heading off again I'm using the time to catch up on things, it's nice to be able to explore.

I feel like I should add a disclaimer - I left school in 1975, I don't know what is taught in the local schools nowadays.

otherwise said:
Dalian Blue said:

The impression I was left with from my own experience was that every lesson (all subjects, not just History) was designed to try and drill in to us anything that might come up in the G.C.S.E. exams. (For those not form the UK, these are the exams you take at school aged 16 in order to progress to further education and/or employment.) I don't know about now, but local history was not included in G.C.S.E examinations in my day, so it meant no room in a lesson to teach* us about where we lived.

*I'm not blaming teachers, am blaming the people higher up.

I know where you're coming from, Dobobobo and unfortunately, that's the way all over. Once kids hit 12, in Ireland, they're education is set on course for work/uni and that's that; (barring an optional transition year at 15/16, where they learn to drive, basic first aid etc). We're training little worker ants, rather than encouraging freethinkers.
Local history, folklore and natural habitat are basic things that should be taught much earlier that. In our case, which was neither today nor yesterday I can assure you, we were promised a field trip 'one of these fine days if we were all good' etc etc.
Naturaly, we were all mad for it, even though it simply involved being taken out of the classroom on a sunny day and led around the locality by the teachers. The teacher got two weeks of order, where we worked away, under threat of nobody wanting to be the one who spoilt the chance of a day out and we always eventually got our trip. It cost nothing and, thinking about it, the teacher probably got through more of the run of the mill stuff in those preceding weeks than was normal.
Class sizes would have been a lot bigger then, too. So, it's gotta be doable, nowadays - providing the demand is there amongst the parents and the willingness of the teachers, I suppose. Of course, the other thing is insurance but if the schools in Ireland can get cover, there's no logical reason why your schools can't either.
All it takes is for one school to start and I'll bet that the parents of kids in other schools nearby will clamour for it.

It's that tim of the year again and fit in with match time for those interested

PETERLOO PICNIC - 196th Anniversary Commemoration
1pm - 3pm Sunday 16th August 2015

Join us for the biggest commemoration yet.

There'll be the same banners, marchers arriving, and the powerful reading of the names of the dead, as before, but we then want to try something new - 'The Peterloo Picnic' - thereby completing what the protesters originally set out to do.

We'll be laying out a giant version of the Peterloo 'spiderweb map' (below) on the apron, with picnic blankets marking each of the towns that send marchers to St Peter's Fields. We then want people from those areas to occupy them... with each empty blanket being an invitation for that town to join us in 2016.

Lightweight tape will make up the black lines linking all the towns, with Manchester itself marked by our giant Liberty Cap statue.

Manchester Central Conference Centre the centre are being really co-operative and helpful, and have offered the use of the South half of the space for the commemoration, despite them having three events on that weekend.

We have a provisional 'yes' to participate from Maxine Peake, John Henshaw, Dave Haslam, The Lord Mayor (the old civic role, not the new disputed 'political' one) Dr Robert Poole and Sheilagh Lemoine (who's a descendent of one of the original protesters.) Hopefully there'll be more to follow...

We want people to bring a simple meal of bread and cheese, and while they eat and chat our acoustic musicians will serenade them with appropriate songs.

The more costumes, banners, hats, bonnets, shawls, hampers, Liberty Caps, the better! Please bring signs on poles that will indicate the name of your town / blanket!

This year we aim to get the basic idea out there, but in the years leading up to 2019 we'll also be aiming to greatly expand the event and hold a mock election based on policies not politicians. The protesters plans to hold an illegal vote in 1819 was a key and much overlooked reason for why they were attacked so brutally.

There'll be modest amplification this year, as with the numbers expanding, it's become increasingly difficult to hear the ceremony. The event should be finished by 3pm... although there's often other Peterloo events in the city that evening.

Join us! Bring all of the above! And most importantly, bring others!

2015-map.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.