The Prisons crisis

Ive just seen Truss saying she has no plans to reduce prison inmate numbers or reduce sentencing.

She hasn't got a clue!
Populist nonsense. She'll have some wankers straight out of universities and think tanks advising her that the Great British public don't want to hear anything about less people going to prison. Sick of it all to be honest.

As a magistrate for 10 years I (jointly) imposed something like 30-40 custodial sentences. With a couple of exceptions they were for relatively minor offences but, because the offender had been subject to several recent non custodial sentences which they hadnt complied with and had continued offending, we didnt believe that there was a realistic non custodial option available to us.
Did any of them re offend ?

As a magistrate for 10 years I (jointly) imposed something like 30-40 custodial sentences. With a couple of exceptions they were for relatively minor offences but, because the offender had been subject to several recent non custodial sentences which they hadnt complied with and had continued offending, we didnt believe that there was a realistic non custodial option available to us.

I asked the question a little earlier on ex offenders employment possibilities given the question on virtually every application form, do you have a criminal record and it would be interesting to see how many of those you sentenced had managed to find a job which might have meant they wouldst have gone on to re offend.

I asked the question a little earlier on ex offenders employment possibilities given the question on virtually every application form, do you have a criminal record and it would be interesting to see how many of those you sentenced had managed to find a job which might have meant they wouldst have gone on to re offend.
Some Magistrates won't even say someone's fit and proper to drive a taxi if he's got a relatively minor conviction from ten years ago. At what point does he become fit and proper? Twenty years? Thirty?

And they wonder why people reoffend.

Some Magistrates won't even say someone's fit and proper to drive a taxi if he's got a relatively minor conviction from ten years ago. At what point does he become fit and proper? Twenty years? Thirty?

And they wonder why people reoffend.

Its surely the biggest single factor in re offending and prison population as well as crime figures and the cost to society.

I can ru up £countless thousands of personal debt and bump the lot of them and within 6 years, im free to start again yet you steal a couple of hundred quid and its a chain around your neck forever and will stop you ever getting on with your life in many cases.

If they didn't offer voluntary redundancies and handsomely pay off good, knowledgable and experienced officers without replacing them then the service wouldn't be in the shit state it is today.

They've totally fucked the service over, brushed it under the carpet and are now trying to suger coat it with incentives to recruit new officers, these fuckers should be accountable for wasting tax payers money along with putting employees and prioners in danger?

The people who make these decisions should be behind bars themselves........fucking clueless

Did any of them re offend ?

I would be very surprised if many of them didnt. I always took into consideration that during my initial magistrates training we were told that custodial sentences should be reserved for those offenders who presented the highest risk of re-offending.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.