The race for the Top 4 - RUNNERS UP, a game to spare

Re: Finishing Second

SWP's back said:
blueinsa said:
sam-caddick said:
It's the gap between second and first that is the concern, absolutely no way should we have got ourselves more than ten points behind Chelsea with our squad.

Not being funny but we have finished 2nd. Be it by goal difference or 30 points it matters not one jot and there are 18 other sides that would give their right hand to have our position right now and over the last 4 years, probably all 19 would swap with us.

An incredible period of results and success with a huge summer spend to look forward to.

Positive blues, positive.
On the money.

Yep.

For whatever reason our collective form disappeared after Xmas (coinciding with the training venue change to the Etihad).

Recent form has been much better which allowed our 2nd place finish so I prefer to let ADUG decide the reasons for both.

My theory is that the new wages bonus scheme did not give enough incentive for finishing in the top 3 and was skewed towards retaining the PL title and better progress in CL.
A quick redraft a month or so ago saw the incentive return and results miraculously went our way.

I blame the stadium expansion crew at the stadium for passing on this time traditional tactic in the construction industry which involves a go slow approaching completion requiring incentives and overtime to avoid completion penalties.

Rumour has it that Yaya has spent several lunchtimes in Laings canteen honing his shop steward skills.

Top 2 for 4th year

We have now finished in the top 2 for the fourth year running. An achievement or not good enough? I believe it is. Although I feel, as I did in 2013, we blew it against a team not as good as we are, I don't think winning it every year is realistic. So for me it's not a bad average.

Finishing in the top flight's top 2 for 4 seasons in a row for the first time in our history is amazing, especially considering how shit everyone seems to think we've performed after each league title.

Get back to back league titles now and we might well be onto something.

It's easy to look at this year and the 2012/13 campaigns thinking what could've been but in reality every team who doesn't win the league will do the same, it's no mean feat.

Onwards and upwards now with UEFA sulking in the background and the cream of Europe's players lining up for their kits for next season ;)

Top 2 again

On the OS today it has been pointed out we have finished in the top 2 for the 4th year running. Is this good enough? For me it as a positive. Winning the league every year is unrealistic so two seconds with two titles is not to be sniffed at.
I suppose the disappointing thing is both years we have had better teams and squads and really should have run them both much closer. Having said that glass half full for me!

Re: Finishing Second

BillyShears said:
SWP's back said:
blueinsa said:
Not being funny but we have finished 2nd. Be it by goal difference or 30 points it matters not one jot and there are 18 other sides that would give their right hand to have our position right now and over the last 4 years, probably all 19 would swap with us.

An incredible period of results and success with a huge summer spend to look forward to.

Positive blues, positive.
On the money.

Yep.

All of the above.

If we we're in a shit league it would be different, but we aint. I don't even care that we we're level with Chelsea during the Christmas period. It's a long season with no break.

Finishing in the top two for the past five seasons is fucking aweseome!

Re: Top 2 again

In here:

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=311255&start=860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=311255&start=860</a>

Re: Top 2 again

I think the 5th year we were only third by goal difference?

I'm happy with it, but it should be noted we should have won the league all four years now IMO, but things have been pretty unbelievable from the moment we were taken over tbf.

When you take the season as whole including all cup competitions, it hasn't been a good one. Allowing Chelsea to walk the league with games to spare is not good. Losing to inferior sides at home in the cup is poor and zero progress in the CL from last season. Add to that, 9 points dropped against sides in the bottom 3 and only 2 wins from 8 against Chelsea, arsenal, rags and scousers and it doesn't paint a great picture.

However that being said, the end of the season has been good and credit to Pellegrini and the players for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.