The recession and football violence?

Goater666

This crossed my mind today whilst reading and hearing about the crowd trouble at the Mackems Vs Toon game.

Would it be fair to say that there's a link between the two? People fairly skint, frustrated with life and a general need to let off steam in one form or another?

Im fairly young and have never lived through a recession, im not sure how much it tied into football violence back in the 70's/80's. Maybe some of the older folk that experienced watching football back then can help explain?

I definitely see things getting worse, more people on the dole for whether reason? return to riot Britain a possibility?

GStar said:
I think its more to do with general knobheadism rather than financial status.

But thats just me - time will tell.

but there has to be a reason why it was relatively quiet in the 90's? society hasn't changed that much.

You only have to look at games across Europe, they always end in trouble (fans and players).

Goater666 said:
GStar said:
I think its more to do with general knobheadism rather than financial status.

But thats just me - time will tell.

but there has to be a reason why it was relatively quiet in the 90's? society hasn't changed that much.

You only have to look at games across Europe, they always end in trouble (fans and players).

Society & and police - the latter being the major influence on the downturn of violence at football matches.

Look how well our police setup before during and after football matches and look how poorly they do it on the continent.

The return of football violence was always going to happen as soon as the chattering 'nu-lab' arrivistes who took over the terracing got fed up with it. That's happened now. Why? Partly money, partly they probably got fed up when they realised that the premiership was only going to be won by one of three sides. The new world order where City gatecrash the party is still 2 years off. Tribalism will come more to the fore as people think their town is suffering more than the opposition's.
Alternatively perhaps what happened today was a perfectly reasonable reaction to that twat Barton coming back into the game.

The people hit worst by this recession simply won't be able to afford to even get into the grounds to cause violence in the first place.

When the country was in the shit in the 70s/80s, you could walk into a ground for less than a fiver. If the recession is pissing you off that much that you want to twat someone, you're not going to spend 42 pounds to do it!

I wrote a dissertation on this stuff, and imo drug culture will have defo have a bearing on things
it all calmed down last time after the taylor and popplewell reports - all seater stadium, the introduction of CCTV, the courts handing out some massive sentances (10years to one of Chelseas lads - later reduced on appeal) and the fact that most of those involved discovered Es. People just dont wanna/cant fight on a pill.

Todays drug of choice is bing which has quite the opposite effect. Pumped up and buzzin You drink more, and are much more likely to become aggressive - and then youve got far higher potential for trouble. I understand that statistically its been on the rise for some years - but generally away from the ground and TV. Defo never went away in the lower leagues as I know some county and bury

And with the relatively minor, but very public skirmish at sunerlan ytday - probably enough for the OB to really up the ante in the strong arm way we all get treated. The usual rent a quote mob will be out in force with the ban em, hang em routine - and things are got out of context that we all suffer

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.