The reign of terror

Anybody glad to go on record for the true story of his time in charge ?

I'm pretty certain that Coppell worked out very quickly that the chairman was an arrogant fool and the club was in too bad a state to manage. Presumably Lee persuaded him to be the fall guy and blame his own failings as part of some pay-off arrangement. Just before he joined, Dave Bassett accepted and then turned it down for similar reasons. I think just after Coppell resigned, Brian Kidd verbally accepted and then changed his mind when Lee gave him some grief on the phone.

We were the laughing stock of football. These were the darkest days to be a Blue.

I'm pretty certain that Coppell worked out very quickly that the chairman was an arrogant fool and the club was in too bad a state to manage. Presumably Lee persuaded him to be the fall guy and blame his own failings as part of some pay-off arrangement. Just before he joined, Dave Bassett accepted and then turned it down for similar reasons. I think just after Coppell resigned, Brian Kidd verbally accepted and then changed his mind when Lee gave him some grief on the phone.

We were the laughing stock of football. These were the darkest days to be a Blue.

Lee did make us the laughing stock,that is the truth,all the hoo haa to get him in as well,little did we know how it would turn out,but Coppell had no idea on or off the pitch when it came to us,as much as a struggling outfit we were,on and off the pitch,it was too big a club for him ever to handle,and truth is being an ex rag he was always gonna be on a hiding to nothing

I'll always remember the laughing Rag who told me with glee that Coppell had left.

Lee did make us the laughing stock,that is the truth,all the hoo haa to get him in as well,little did we know how it would turn out,but Coppell had no idea on or off the pitch when it came to us,as much as a struggling outfit we were,on and off the pitch,it was too big a club for him ever to handle,and truth is being an ex rag he was always gonna be on a hiding to nothing
I want always to remember Francis Lee as a legend ,but only as a football player,not his days as owner of the club...

The story seems to be that Lee told Coppell there'd be funds available when he agreed to take the job but when Coppell drew up a list of targets and gave them to Lee, he was told there was actually no money. So that was the catalyst added to the fact he was separated from his family. He had a bit of a meltdown and that was that.

You thought nothing would ever go right again for us back in those days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.