The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluemiester said:
adrianr said:
You can't use the new manager bounce to prove AVB was holding these players back, or that he was a crap manager. He may have done/been both, but 4 odd games under Sherwood isn't conclusive either way.

That aside, this Sherwood honeymoon is going to go exactly the same way as 'Arry. If you give good players confidence to go out and play well, they will, and you'll beat a lot of the league in doing so through virtue of nothing more than having more talent. Problem is when you come up against a team who has good players, with confidence, playing well, but is tactically drilled and incredibly disciplined. Until they get someone in who can achieve both they'll continue falling short.

Reading the paper this morning I was questioning why I bother at all. You never read anything new. This morning Dawson IIRC is praising 'the gaffer', giving them confidence to go out and play their game, working harder in training (most intense training ever done don'chano?), two strikers is best, etc etc. All complete bullshit but trotted out when a new manager comes in time and time and time again. If the players idea of a good manager is one who lets them go out and do whatever the hell they like, they'll always be scraping for 4th and winning fuck all.

Levy needs to get a proper football manager in. Stop pissing around with charlatans and cockney wide boys.

Why do people still believe stuff like that? It just comes down to money. I remember before the CL everyone saying Redknapp would be found out and he took them the 1/4 finals. They beat the current champions and the also the team that would win that years Serie A on route. When they finished 4th that season, people said they'd never do it again after we spent £100 million on the likes of Silva and pay them huge wages. But 2 years later they finished 4th ahead of Chelsea. Their wage bill was nowhere near any of the other teams that finished in the top 4. If they could pay more and attract better players they'd have done even better. The "proper" football managers you speak about are the charlatans, yet they football world don't seem to get it yet. Take a bit of money away from these "proper" managers and see what happens (ie Benitez in 2009/10). I'd give anything to see Pep taking over at Villa. They'd probably get relegated and still no one would click.

You really think Bobby would have finished 3rd and over taken Spurs had he not been given an absolute fortune to spend? You think AVB and Ramos forgot how to coach as soon as they turned up at Spurs? Were you one of those surprised by how rubbish England were under Cappello? No manager is taking Spurs higher than 4th/maybe 3rd at a push, unless they get a massive boost in finances. Levy and football fans everywhere need to understand these things and stop believing in and hyping the idea of super coaches and managers.

Regards mancini, he's done pretty good with no money in Italy for lazio and sampdoria ;-)

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
Thought Spurs were ok, they're injuries are possibly the worst in the league atm, Sherwood, to his credit is playing attacking football.

11 players out through injury! No excuse for yesterdays match though. Arsenal were a lot better. Spurs hardly seemed fired up for it which was surprising, it was still a pretty strong team put out.

I hope City get to play Arsenal in the cup and thrash them again!

Crouchinho said:
Thought Spurs were ok, they're injuries are possibly the worst in the league atm, Sherwood, to his credit is playing attacking football.

11 players out through injury! No excuse for yesterdays match though. Arsenal were a lot better. Spurs hardly seemed fired up for it which was surprising, it was still a pretty strong team put out.

hard to beat that Arsenal team though with your injuries, you still had a couple of chances, although I'm still not convinced by Soldado, Eriksen looks very good.

Crouchinho said:

Well it's an improvement on getting thrashed by Liverpool at home lol.

I'm still positive about our chances this season, and I like the style of play under Sherwood better. It also yields more room for improvement if Sherwood, Ferdinand, and Ramsey are able to coach the team to take the right shape and make the right movements on the counter. I think this team would have a lot of potential -

Lloris
Walker-Vlad-Verts-Rose
Lamela-Paulinho-Dembele-Eriksen
Soldado-Adebayor

Noting that Lamela hasn't really earned his place in the team yet, and that Sandro could start over one of Paulinho and Dembele in midfield.

I think we pretty obviously need a left back and another forward, but besides that I think we have a good squad and still think we could finish in 4th this season if it goes well.

Crouchinho said:

hard to beat that Arsenal team though with your injuries, you still had a couple of chances, although I'm still not convinced by Soldado, Eriksen looks very good.

Arsenal injury list

Giroud
Diaby
Gibbs
Ozil(was a doubt,only came on when game was won)
Sanogo
Ramsey
Bendtner
The Ox

To top it all, playing with no recognised striker. Theo is not a striker regardless of what he thinks. 2nd choice goalie,2nd choice LB.

The Spurs team was pretty much the same team that beat Manure.

Both teams had injuries to key players, the biggest indictment of that game was we didn't have to play that well to beat you convincingly. Not a slagging just my reading of a game that I was at.

Greedybayore always has these little pockets of games where he plays brilliantly then goes anonymous again. Soldado has no confidence whatsoever. You lost the midfield battle to Arteta,Rosicky,Wilshire. Not our first choice midfield this season.

The 49ers said:
The Spurs team was pretty much the same team that beat Manure.

Both teams had injuries to key players, the biggest indictment of that game was we didn't have to play that well to beat you convincingly. Not a slagging just my reading of a game that I was at.

Greedybayore always has these little pockets of games where he plays brilliantly then goes anonymous again. Soldado has no confidence whatsoever. You lost the midfield battle to Arteta,Rosicky,Wilshire. Not our first choice midfield this season.

Well I wouldn't say that Bentaleb and Dembele is our first choice midfield either.

I certainly didn't expect to win this game anyway, in fact I'm astounded that we even won at Old Trafford, since clearly we're trying to implement an entirely different style of play with many new players. It's hard enough to play against a top quality team that has had years of stability and practice playing the same way, but playing away makes it even more difficult. I'm sure it will be a more even match at WHL later in the season.

GHoddle said:
I certainly didn't expect to win this game anyway, in fact I'm astounded that we even won at Old Trafford, since clearly we're trying to implement an entirely different style of play with many new players. It's hard enough to play against a top quality team that has had years of stability and practice playing the same way, but playing away makes it even more difficult. I'm sure it will be a more even match at WHL later in the season.

A more even match? 100+ million spent and you don't ask for more?! Tottenham's season could well be over already by then: League Cup - out, FA-Cup - out, European Cup - Eastenders, PL - oh well, THIS was Tottenham's chance and arguebly their biggest match of the season (Sherwood: "Forget Old Trafford, Arsenal is the match that everyone wants to win" or something along that line) to keep some hope alive and put a dent in Arsenal's good run and they just bottled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.