The traditional 'he didn't make it after City, so he was no good' comment.

Without getting into which players we should keep and play or not. If we say just the current crop of Gunn, Maffeo, the 2 Garcias, Brahim, Foden don't make it the income from them moving on, with sell ons , would more than pay for the academy costs. Not suggesting we should be selling them all but if they were to it wouldn't be a failure as a cash cow.

I thought the term meant making money.

How much money has it made in the last few years compared to, say Harry Godwin & shed, a pot of tea & a packet of woodbines doing the same job barely leaving Manchester ?

I thought the term meant making money.

How much money has it made in the last few years compared to, say Harry Godwin & shed, a pot of tea & a packet of woodbines doing the same job barely leaving Manchester ?
I thought we talking going forward in the future, not as a history project. Lets see how much it brings in over the next 5 years,

Usually scouting networks are designed to find the best players before they before they become too expensive. Such as Gabriel Jesus.

If we are doing it to make money, rather than to find quality for our squad, we are a lot less on the ball as I thought personally.

Especially as UEFA could dump the whole loan business overnight if they see fit.

Spending millions to do something David Gill could wipe out over breakfast, is not sound planning imo.

Having a genuine academy to produce our own players plus signing young players for the club & doing it right, is imo & is, I believe the main plan Khaldoon had for it, with sales just a way of helping pay for it.
I think you've mis-read my initial post, I did say we'd obviously cherry pick the players we want to integrate into the squad but ultimately it's a profit making machine for those that don't?

As you've mentioned Gabriel Jesus he's a great example, if we sold him tomorrow in the current market we'd nigh on treble our money so that's the sort of thing I'm talking about although he was bought to go straight into the main squad.

As @blueparrot has said let's see what happens in the next 5 years

I think you've mis-read my initial post, I did say we'd obviously cherry pick the players we want to integrate into the squad but ultimately it's a profit making machine for those that don't?

As you've mentioned Gabriel Jesus he's a great example, if we sold him tomorrow in the current market we'd nigh on treble our money so that's the sort of thing I'm talking about although he was bought to go straight into the main squad.

As @blueparrot has said let's see what happens in the next 5 years

It is great business & I'm all for us scouting the best young players & also if we can make money out of players such as Mooy whilst helping to further their careers then great.

However it has nothing to do with the academy, and it's the relationship to that I was replying to.

Imo the academy was set up to produce players for City & sell of those who can't make it here.

So far it's neither producing players for the first team nor making money. Imo because the first team has been too afraid of using young players to fill situations.

Pep appears willing to change that but until now, the whole academy has been largely a waste of time money & effort. Not really because of those who have worked in it imo but because of those in charge of the first team.

It is great business & I'm all for us scouting the best young players & also if we can make money out of players such as Mooy whilst helping to further their careers then great.

However it has nothing to do with the academy, and it's the relationship to that I was replying to.

Imo the academy was set up to produce players for City & sell of those who can't make it here.

So far it's neither producing players for the first team nor making money. Imo because the first team has been too afraid of using young players to fill situations.

Pep appears willing to change that but until now, the whole academy has been largely a waste of time money & effort. Not really because of those who have worked in it imo but because of those in charge of the first team.

well in the now, it is producing. In the past, no, but that's gone now. Diaz is getting time and now has to show something. Tosin has had chances and Foden took a nasty knock or would have had time over xmas too. Christ, even Dele-Bashiru and Nmecha have had time.

As much as United have been 'lucky' with the likes of Bruce offering relatively big money for their academy shite, there's an obvious point that a youngster with even a handful of first team minutes will be worth much more than an equivalently talented youngster with none. We've been crap at giving youngsters game time that could dramatically enhance both their value and our ability to judge whether they have the potential to make it at City.

As much as United have been 'lucky' with the likes of Bruce offering relatively big money for their academy shite, there's an obvious point that a youngster with even a handful of first team minutes will be worth much more than an equivalently talented youngster with none. We've been crap at giving youngsters game time that could dramatically enhance both their value and our ability to judge whether they have the potential to make it at City.

Nail on head.

Many of the Utd kids who got games, we inferior by direct comparison, to the City kids who didn't, when played against each other in their own age group.

They go through to the Premier League, play occasionally v full professionals, end up being sold on, to decent level teams & before they even walk out the door, there is some other kid, who has just had his arse handed to him by City's U18s, on the fringe of a first team game, filling the boots of the leaver. He goes through the same process, has Martin Tyler telling everyone how good he is going to be, signs for Steve Bruce for decent money & the next one moves in.

Meanwhile, the lads from City's U18s who made him look a right chump two years easlier, have done fuck all for two years, lost their edge & are still looking for their first real taste of senior football. Most end up two yards slower, uninspired & in the back of beyond.

I thought we talking going forward in the future, not as a history project. Lets see how much it brings in over the next 5 years,

I guarantee you, that post almost word for word is on here on the same subject, five years ago, in reply to me saying we aren't getting it right.

The truth is, the academy started in the 90s. All hat has happened is that some coaches were sacked & replaced by others, then we got some nice new buildings on a different site.

It was a much more successful moneymaker before, than it is now, as well as producing more senior level players.

Players who left here at the time of the takeover, are having more success, than the ones who have come through here since.

Imo, that's not because they were better. They weren't.

I guarantee you, that post almost word for word is on here on the same subject, five years ago, in reply to me saying we aren't getting it right.

The truth is, the academy started in the 90s. All hat has happened is that some coaches were sacked & replaced by others, then we got some nice new buildings on a different site.

It was a much more successful moneymaker before, than it is now, as well as producing more senior level players.

Players who left here at the time of the takeover, are having more success, than the ones who have come through here since.

Imo, that's not because they were better. They weren't.
We're a different animal now, we're an attractive prospect to youngsters from all around Europe and from across the pond and that was never the case before. It took La Masia a while to build its foundations but I believe ours have now been built and we'll start benefiting in the next 5 years, Pep has now got the average age of the squad down and I believe he'll start ticking it over with a blend of transfers and youth, Foden and Brahim will no doubt be regular squad members next season.

You've got every right to throw negativity at the Academy due to it's track record but we've got the right people in the right places and invested too much into it for it not to work, we're the model that everyone in Europe are currently looking at and like I say expect to see the best youngsters from Europe and South America to be rocking up soon. We're ahead of the game as we can't keep relying on the cheque book every window, especially with the way the fees are currently going.

We need to be patient but the tree will soon start to bear fruit, both to drip feed the squad and also to raise profit from our findings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.