The Worlds biggest Bands

They were pretty successful for three or four years granted but not in the same league in terms of sales as the likes of Zeppelin and Floyd, if only 4 of their studio albums went top 10 that doesn’t constitute huge in my book, decent yes but huge not, I think even the likes of Genesis, Yes and ELP have had more top ten albums in the US than Queen.

No Queen aren't on the level of Floyd and Zep but they have sold more albums in the US than Genesis, Yes and ELP and are the 46th best selling act of all time in terms of album sales in the States - a lot of those acts are solo artists.

In the context of worldwide popularity, I think they rank something like fifth in terms of record sales by groups.

The Beatles years of playing live may have been ‘relatively’ brief, but the number of gigs they played in those 7 years was astonishing. In 1963 and 1964 alone they played 373 individual gigs. In 1960, 1961 and 1962 they did 3 separate 3 month stints in Hamburg playing 6 to 8 hours a night, 6 days a week, approximately 1500 hours on stage, the rough equivalent of say 600 modern day gigs. If they didn’t play to the same size crowds as Led Zep it was only because at the time, music was very much indoor auditorium orientated, and indeed it was the Beatles who were the first band to venture into stadiums when they played Shea Stadium in 1965. Call it a draw? :-)

Done :-)

Jean Michel Jarre is the master.

C3C5qw8VcAAOrbf.jpg

Don't know if he still holds it, but he used to have the record for the largest live audiences in four different continents.

Not a band, you Bozo.

Made Pans People look tame !

As long as Magnu the horse with the golden mane showed it's face I cared little : /
I saw them 1975 at Reading festival on the friday night as they headlined the bill.
Incredible mate.

Magnu horse with golden mane
I want your help yet once again
Walk not the Earth but fly through space
As lightning flash or thunder's race
Swift as the arrow from the bow
Come to me so that no one can know,
Sunbeams are my shafts to kill,
All men who dare imagine ill

Hey Taxi, can you go off topic on an off topic thread I wonder? No doubt the mods will let me know if you can't! Thought you might be interested:
I caught the 'Musical Box' at the Usher Hall Edinburgh on Saturday evening. They are a Canadian/French outfit who tour all over the world playing Gabriel Genesis. This specific tour replicates in every detail the Selling England By The Pound tour of 73/74. When I say replicates, I really mean it - every note, the set design, down to every costume change that Peter Gabriel made on the original tour. The lead singer even had Peter's dad dancing down to a tee.

Musically they were very good in replicating the original Genesis - etherial and rather stark sound when compared to the two drum combo of Collins/Chester Thompson. What struck me was just how 'out there' Gabriel was with his theatrics, intro stories and costumes. There were several moments of almost pythonesque humour that made me laugh out loud. Certainly, you must change with age as what I thought was 'cool as fck' when I was fifteen (batwing outfit with UV eye make up etc for Watcher ), now does seem a little gauche and pretentious when viewed with more cynical eyes. Also, the sound of a couple of thousand 50-60 year olds performing a word perfect 'suppers ready' will live with me for a while. It was a little bit of melancholy that I realised, I was sitting just a couple of rows from where Mrs S and I had watched the original band perform the Lamb Lies down in 1974. Whoosh, what was that? Your life mate!

have a good one.

Think many more albums were sold in 70’s and 80’s. If you are talking

the 60’s we’re dominated by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and believe it or not the Monkees for album sales
The 70’s led zeppelin outsold the Stones massively

In terms of live draw, I believe that Zeppelin would still be the largest draw on the planet if they reformed. Floyd would be pretty massive. The Beatles obviously. Elvis. The biggest draws would be those that left an unsated appetite so for me The Who, Elton John, Sabbath, Purple, Yes, Genesis, th3 Stones, U2, probably ran their race and their popularity is on a down rather than upslope.

I would have to believe that Chicago would have been among the top selling bands of the 70's. They repackaged a lot of shit records but they sold large amounts of vinyl and tapes even into the late 80's until Pete Cetera left.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.