The year 2008 the Facts and Figures (Ericsson v Hughes)

like it or not, taking hughes on after sven was a mistake. we went from having a world class manager, who has managed at the top level, and BEEN to the world cup, who has connections in most leagues in the world and a solid reputation. to an ex rag with barely any management experience, who has SEEN the world cup on telly and only knows england and wales. it stands to reason it was a step backwards. i will only be happy when we have the standard of manager to take us where we want to be. mourinho or riijkard will do nicely. not fookin sam allerdyce or gary megson cos they did well with a crap team.

Re: The year 2008

DontLookBackInAnger said:
markbmcfc said:
Most intelligent post in a long while on here.

Lets face facts, if MH hadnt played for the rags, he wouldnt get half the shit he does at the moment from silly, narrow minded 'fans' that dont understand football.

Off my soapbox for the night :)

I'm not saying this to be funny I am interested, did you actually go to the match today and if so did it not see that the players had no idea what the coaching staff(including Hughes)wanted from them?

ARE you certain that it wasnt the fact that the players were not doing what they had been told to do. I am sure the coaching staff told the players just hoof the ball up in the air, dont bother tackling, running, heading, passing to a colleague. Or do you think it might be that half this team arent good enough and arent able to do what the coaching team want and arent even prepared to put in 100% to make up for it.

We City fans have watched some poor players in our time but we have always responded to teams and players who have put the effort in and have forgiven them their lack of talent. What I cant forgive or accept is that their are good players at this club who wont put the effort in and their lies our problem They didnt put it in when Sven was here theyre not putting it in now and if we get rid of Hughes they are still unlikely to put it in. Its these we need to get rid off and then who knows those talented players who are putting in may just find they are paying with like minded individuals

RobbieBrewer said:
chesterguy said:
The issue is the talent that Mark Hughes bought are the only ones playing the others are dragging the team down. Without Robinho, SWP, Kompany and Zabaleta this team would be adrift in my opinion. I dont believe that Jo was a MH signing.

It is clear that there are many other players at the club at the moment who Hughes does not rate and they are probably aware of this and so rather than be professional and continue to give 100% they have spat their proverbial dummies out and couldn't give a toss. He cant get rid of all of those players as he wouldnt have a squad or he would have to buy 10/12 players hence my belief that it will take 2 transfers windows to enable him to buy a full squad of committed players.

I cannot or will not believe that a group of professional sportsmen have all got together at the same time to ensure they capitulate as one together.

Total bollocks.

All I say to that is Middlesborough and today

chesterguy said:
ARE you certain that it wasnt the fact that the players were not doing what they had been told to do. I am sure the coaching staff told the players just hoof the ball up in the air, dont bother tackling, running, heading, passing to a colleague. Or do you think it might be that half this team arent good enough and arent able to do what the coaching team want and arent even prepared to put in 100% to make up for it.

We City fans have watched some poor players in our time but we have always responded to teams and players who have put the effort in and have forgiven them their lack of talent. What I cant forgive or accept is that their are good players at this club who wont put the effort in and their lies our problem They didnt put it in when Sven was here theyre not putting it in now and if we get rid of Hughes they are still unlikely to put it in. Its these we need to get rid off and then who knows those talented players who are putting in may just find they are paying with like minded individuals

This isnt true. Dunne and Richards weren't playing as poorly last year and Sven didn't have a fully-functioning Ireland, Robinho, SWP, Kompany or Zabletta (not to mention Sturridge. Petrov's been a big loss but whichever you look at it, Hughes is simply getting too little out of this squad. WE HAVE GOOD PLAYERS. This is not the lack of talent or even lack of effort issue that has plagued this club for 30 years.

chesterguy said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
I'm not saying this to be funny I am interested, did you actually go to the match today and if so did it not see that the players had no idea what the coaching staff(including Hughes)wanted from them?

Did you see what was going on with Sturridge and Elano midway thru the 2nd half, it seemed that there had been instructions for them to swap roles(as Elano and Rabinho sometimes do)and there is a disagreement as to quite whether it should be done and Elano is talking to Hughes and Sturridge (I believe)was talking to Bowen and between the 4 of them no one had a clue where to go, while all this is going on Forest are playing on, and I'm sure laughing their asses off at us?

projectriver said:
chesterguy said:

This isnt true. Dunne and Richards weren't playing as poorly last year and Sven didn't have a fully-functioning Ireland, Robinho, SWP, Kompany or Zabletta (not to mention Sturridge. Petrov's been a big loss but whichever you look at it, Hughes is simply getting too little out of this squad. WE HAVE GOOD PLAYERS. This is not the lack of talent or even lack of effort issue that has plagued this club for 30 years.

What I am saying is that the issues may lie with the individuals and may not be the managers fault. Since Jan 2008 Elano has done nothing. Dunne and Richards have been poor do you blame the manager if so then you must praise the manager for the performance of Ireland.

As I say I have no problem with poor players but not putting the effort in is an individuals choice if you are not prepared to run and tackle then you are being unprofessional and that is totally unacceptable no matter who is in charge

chesterguy said:
For all those stating that Sven should have been kept on and Hughes has made us crap here are our stats for 2008

Jan to May 2008 Sven in charge

P W D L F A GD PTS
18 5 4 9 18 31 -13 19

Aug to Dec 2008 Hughes in charge

P W D L F A GD PTS
20 6 4 10 38 30 +8 22

So for all those with the Sven tinted glasses on it is clear that we were crap before Hughes came and at least we defended worse under Sven and scored less goals. For those who argue that the team had lost the desire remember that these are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL footballers who are playing for the club.

If they dont like the manager or what is going on at the club then the club needs to get rid. It is clear that some on this team have no pride in playing for Man City and it is up to the manager to get rid of those players which I am sure he will because if they arent prepared to put a decent shift in then we have performances like today and the manager will eventually lose his job.

I believe that footballers have too much power and because those in the premiership are financially secure for the rest of their lives after signing just one contract they have no pride in playing for thier club and dont care what the results are. Until football owners/managers are able to redress this imbalance the situation such as we find ourselves in will continue.

Rather than after defeat everyone get on the managers back we should look at those players who have shown that they have no pride in playing for the shirt (Middlesborough) and only play when it suits them or when they feel like playing

That's all pretty pathetic mate. Why did you spend time compiling that?

Last year was a hoot compared to this one pal. 2 wins over the Rags was alright wasn't it? We played decent football and not the stupid long ball shite we now do, and Sven played the players to their strengths.

However, always ask yourself this question before dreaming up such a rubbish thread; if before the season started, someone was to tell you that the top 10 finishing side that we had last season would be strengthened with one of the greatest players in the world, that cost £32 million, Jo, Kompany and Sweep, where would you expect us to finish this year? and if you can answer that honestly, by saying "I would expect us to be out of the FA Cup and lying 4 points from bottom by Christmas", then you are a footballing mind far superior to mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobbieBrewer said:
Midllesbrough was the end result of Frank saying "Adios" to Sven half way through the season.Totally destabilised the club.It was coming.
But good luck to you if you really believe that a "clear out" is needed in the next 2 transfer windows,all the current players are tossers,and the likes of the "committed" Bellamy is the way forward for the so-called "richest club in the world."

Not to me,it's not.

I dont think Bellamy is the way forward towards our ULTIMATE goal, never have, never will. However, at the moment, we seem to be lacking passion in our play, and ive never come out in support or against bellamy, hes a horrible person, but i think he would do the job we need at the moment. Saying that, out ultimate goal is to sign superb players, which i feel will come in time.

Signing kaka, villa eto'o and the likes is all well and good. Take the villa thread for example, what happens if we pay 80m for him, and he simple doesnt deliver. i WATCHED the valencia match tongiht, and he had a VERY quiet game, infact did fuck all in it bar one or two things, if people on here are hoping for a messiah in one player that we sign, then i would say to you sir, your very very mistaken in the kind of players we need at the moment. We need to build a sqaud and the moral of a squad first.

RobbieBrewer said:
Bellamy is the sort of player that Wigan sign.A so-called "battler" that will dig you out of a hole (when he's fit.)

This is what Hughes has reduced us to looking at as an "example" to the others in the team....fkn hell!!!!

FFS- the only reason we are looking at tools like him is because our manager feels comfortable managing them.End of.

The fkr is taking us backwards-why can't you see it?

So you honestly think if we sign someone like Villa for 80m all our troubles go away ? Not in a million years will they. we need to build a good SQUAD before we build an amzaing team.

To pick up on the Sturridge/Elano Bowen/Hughes point -that was right in front of me - Sturridge was giving Bowen both barrels as it were with some choice language lets say. ELano appeared to be trying to convey something to Hughes in a more reserved way but he was waving him away.

Back to Sven - has everyone forgotten how few players we had in the 2nd half of last season - does no one remember how we spent March onwards with a back 4 of Dunne, Ball, Sun and Elano with Sam Williamson making a cameo. Of cause our form dipped 2nd half of last season. Sven took over in August, we has no pre-season and after Xmas we were down to the bare bones.

The players have lost all confidence in their own ability, Ireland apart who did work on his won (nothing to do witht he club) our players have gone backwards, and thats down to Hughes, Bowen and co.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.