Thinking outside the box

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blue Maverick, 20 Apr 2017.

1. bluemoon risin'

bluemoon risin'

Taking the rise.
    Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us free....

I like that song.

2. dickie davies

dickie davies

Tag team wrestler
    Great idea but unworkable in this small nation of ours

3. jimharri

jimharri

Occasional idiot
    He didn't look for a dash of cream on the top, a la Irish Coffee style?

4. bluemoon risin'

bluemoon risin'

Taking the rise.
    didn't used to be mate not too long ago. Many a coal waggon amongst other freight containers trundled our tracks before their demise due largely to the neglect that privatisation brought.

5. bluemoon risin'

bluemoon risin'

Taking the rise.
    Probably sipped his brew thinking sour cream.

6. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Make the barrier to entry into university as significant as it used to be. I agree, university isn't for everyone, hence my idea for technical apprenticeships in the trades of today and tomorrow.

The last issue you mentioned appears to be because there is now a generation of Britons who simply will not do that work and would rather go to the office once a week for a cheque. No more. There has to be a disincentive to NOT working, NOT having more kids for more money, NOT living on the system.

7. Blue Maverick

Blue Maverick

Well I've driven down south in the middle of the night and compared to the day they are empty, ye there are trucks but hardly any cars and that's the point. How many trucks cause problems compared to idiot car drivers?

8. BrianW

BrianW

I would bring in Land Value Tax and move the main burden of taxation from income to wealth. Thus encouraging people to work and discouraging land hoarding by supermarkets and the like. Ideally I would like to drop basic IT to 15p, higher rate to 30p and top rate to 40p. But you would have to phase this in and make sure LVT wasn't hitting people on modest incomes too hard.

I would also bring in a citizen's basic income for everyone, including millionaires. Then most benefits could be done away with, as well as the associated bureaucracy and eligibility checking. People would have a basic security that would enable them (if they wished) to take risks by starting a business or taking a degree.

I would completely reform education, copying the best practice from Europe and scrapping all outdated nonsense that is irrelevant to the modern world.

I would introduce a luxury tax. Example, any football ticket above £100 would attract a 5% luxury tax. If you can afford £100 to watch 90 minutes football, you can afford £5 for the NHS.

I would scrap the current 'good causes' BS for the lottery. Half profit would go to the NHS, the other half would be given to local councils to distribute to local charities.

I would scrap charitable status for education and religion altogether. Too much subsidy for well-off people. Besides which I don't see why the state should effectively subsidise religion.

I would build an absolute shed load of council houses to solve the housing crisis and pretty much do away with Housing Benefit altogether.

Finally, I would charge a small amount of NI on pensions above £25k a year (say 1 or 2%) to go to the NHS. After all, we oldies get a lot out of the NHS!

9. karen7

karen7

10. mac

mac

I like your idea but a few words of warning. Blue waffle.