This is for the older posters...1960's - early 70's

Blue Streak

I'm curious and I'm sure only a select few on here could answer this?

1965 and City played at Maine Road against Swindon infront of a record low crowd whilst lets face it United had 'beatlemania' with Best. And with Law & Charlton were Champions - glamour etc.

Then came Joe & Mal. The uprising - Lee, Bell & Summerbee. The year we won the title we took them apart at Old Trafford on that wonderful March evening and went on to win the title. Okay they got the European Cup but then went into a huge decline as City continued to win things.

How did Rag fans react? I've heard tales they became the worse they had ever been during that period? Did they actually become (to coin a phrase - bitter?).

During the 70s 80s and most of the 90s we hated them and they hated us, that in my eyes is how it should be. They then became very patronising and we would often hear 'oh we hope you do well' fek off...we don't want to hear that crap...times are now changing again and they are slowly realising that we are back and here for the long term and it's just a matter of time before we become THE Manchester team to be feared in Europe and around the world. So the hate is returning....happy days..

Blue Lloyd said:

1965 and City played at Maine Road against Swindon infront of a record low crowd whilst lets face it United had 'beatlemania' with Best. And with Law & Charlton were Champions - glamour etc.

Then came Joe & Mal. The uprising - Lee, Bell & Summerbee. The year we won the title we took them apart at Old Trafford on that wonderful March evening and went on to win the title. Okay they got the European Cup but then went into a huge decline as City continued to win things.

How did Rag fans react? I've heard tales they became the worse they had ever been during that period? Did they actually become (to coin a phrase - bitter?).

My recollection as a boy/teenager from those years was fans would watch City one week and the Rags (a phrase coined by United fans about their own team) the next. I think that, that comradeship stemmed from the war years. Mike Summerbee was best mates with George Best and shared a flat with him during the time he was adored as the fifth Beatle.

For me, it got worse when the day trippers starting turning up in the early 70s. Completely unware that on the whole, City and United weren't that bad. They started givin it "Cam orn were United" and some of the local reds got whipped up.

On the TV highlights of the 1968 Maine Road Derby, the first one after City had won the league and United won you-know-what, the commentator David Coleman points out that the Chief Constable of Manchester had to issue a "special appeal for spectators to behave" the day before the game.

Despite that, Coleman says, several people were injured inside the ground by flying bottles. Before the game had even kicked-off.

My recollection was all out war,mass battles rags always got in the Kippax early in mass before City fans arrived, Kippax was splt down the middle by hundreds of cops all the way through the games City fans always charging at the rags,we hated each other, some football fans had season tickets at both grounds mainly older guys I was a teenager when we won the league, I remember a cricket game at Old Trafford between City and Utd being called off because off mass fighting that was a day and a half

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Blue Lloyd said:

My recollection as a boy/teenager from those years was fans would watch City one week and the Rags (a phrase coined by United fans about their own team) the next. I think that, that comradeship stemmed from the war years. Mike Summerbee was best mates with George Best and shared a flat with him during the time he was adored as the fifth Beatle.

Entered my teens in 1960 and have little recollection of fans going to both grounds on a weekly basis. By the time I was in secondary school the battle lines were very clearly drawn. I think that there was much more tolerance in those days, until the Stretford End got into their stride.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:

Entered my teens in 1960 and have little recollection of fans going to both grounds on a weekly basis. By the time I was in secondary school the battle lines were very clearly drawn. I think that there was much more tolerance in those days, until the Stretford End got into their stride.
That's my recollection when I started going in the mid 60s too, I think that going to alternate grounds each week was something for the older generation at that time. Even testimonial derbies could get violent back then, there was one in the late 60s (Tony Dunne's possibly?) that got very nasty after the match.

christen at St Marks said:
My recollection was all out war,mass battles rags always got in the Kippax early in mass before City fans arrived, Kippax was splt down the middle by hundreds of cops all the way through the games City fans always charging at the rags,we hated each other, some football fans had season tickets at both grounds mainly older guys I was a teenager when we won the league, I remember a cricket game at Old Trafford between City and Utd being called off because off mass fighting that was a day and a half
The Kippax was never split down the middle,the scum had a section towards the Platt Lane,was segregated by Old Bill and a rope!,they later erected railings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.