Three changes I'd like to see in football

salfordblues

First, I feel that when an incident is near a linesman or an official who stands on the byline, HE should be the one who makes the decision.

All other officials need to be more pro-active and speak up when they have the best view on an incident.

Secondly, I would like more penalties given against defenders when they haul attackers to the ground from free-kicks and corner kicks.

When the whistle is blown in this situation it is invariably the forward who is penalised, a penalty is never awarded. Yet, as we see week in week out the defenders knows he can almost do what he what to the attacker without fear of giving away a foul.

Some people have told me that this couldn't happen or you would have a penalty every minute of the game. But, I don't think this is correct. If refs clamped down on this conduct then defenders would have to think twice about doing it so eventually they become accustom to the new rule.

Thirdly and most importantly one of the worst things in football at the moment is the over-protection of goalkeepers.

A key illustration of this was Gomez at Wolves. Wolves defender (can't remember which one) jumped fairly never took his eyes of the ball, beat Gomez to the ball and equalised for his team. However, the ref pulled him up for a free-kick.

This for me was one of the worst decision of the season. If anything Gomez had fouled the Wolves player, so why was the Wolves player penalised? The referees need to understand that it is possible to fairly challenge a keeper in the air.

End of rant!

I agree with the goalkeeper one, any touch on a goalkeeper and its a foul immediately. However, a goalkeeper can barge through 5 players to get a ball and hes allowed to do it.

salfordblues said:
First, I feel that when an incident is near a linesman or an official who stands on the byline, HE should be the one who makes the decision.

I'd rather concentrate hard on improving the standard of refereeing in general without changing the rules of the game in this respect, than just re-jigging who makes the decisions. Do you think it'll really make that much difference?

Assistant referees get offside decisions wrong all the time, so what's to say that standing where they are would make a big difference as to whether calls go the wrong way or the right way?

There will always be human error involved, until video technology comes into use.

Has anyone ever seen the 4th and 5th officials behind the goals in European games ever make a decision? Whats the point in them.

Change thats needed most is 5th official in stands watching the game on TV with instant replays, in communication with the ref. Every weekend games are won/lost over pathetic calls by the refs

Viva Rivaldo said:
hertsblue said:
Has anyone ever seen the 4th and 5th officials behind the goals in European games ever make a decision?
No, but I have seen them miss an important one that was 5 yards away from them.

Fucking ridiculous; they even walk on the pitch when the ball's up the other end!

what wrong with walking on the pitch??
they are allowed to

one thing i'd like to see, (instead of the 4/5th official) add another assitant referee/linesman opposite the current one, will make offside decisions more accurate and will help the ref with other fouls/misconduct during the game

Clubs having the option to not enter the Carling Cup.

There being one European competition. Teams from 8-5 play in a group competion before christmas and the top two play in the knockout stage of the CL. Teams 1-4 go through to the knockout stage.No seeding for the knockout stages - drawn as per the FA Cup.

We play too many games and the Europa League Thursdays finish any chance of a decent league position.

eshiers1 said:
Viva Rivaldo said:
No, but I have seen them miss an important one that was 5 yards away from them.

Fucking ridiculous; they even walk on the pitch when the ball's up the other end!

they are allowed to

one thing i'd like to see, (instead of the 4/5th official) add another assitant referee/linesman opposite the current one, will make offside decisions more accurate and will help the ref with other fouls/misconduct during the game

But this could cause a lot of conflict because what if one says that its offside and the other linesman doesn't. Who do you listen to?

I like the idea of a 5th official in the stand but where will they be able to sit without being influenced by fans or directors etc. of the club? Although if there is video technology involved I suppose there will be little to argue with.

PSmyth07 said:
eshiers1 said:
they are allowed to

But this could cause a lot of conflict because what if one says that its offside and the other linesman doesn't. Who do you listen to?

I like the idea of a 5th official in the stand but where will they be able to sit without being influenced by fans or directors etc. of the club? Although if there is video technology involved I suppose there will be little to argue with.

tis a valid point, you could use a system where both have to signal for it to be offside, or both communicate with each other before agreeing on a decision, could take several seconds but as long as they get it right it wont matter

an official in the stand is a good idea, but as you say siting him/her would be hard and you'd be in a different position at each club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.