Tim Howard

Whenever his name is mentioned it's only a matter of time before his time wasting tactics are discussed, he really was a master at it.
His best one for me was when a shot went high or wide he would run to the edge of the area and pretend to be bollocking his defence (probably the tourettes kicking in) then stroll back to find the ball and then take an age placing it.

I remember a similar occasion when City had a corner with a few minutes remaining, and Balotelli slipped in the area.
Howard caught the ball, before deliberately kicking the ball out for a throw-in, knowing perfectly well that Balotelli wasn't injured, and wasn't even pretending to be injured.
City should have kept the ball, but we aren't good at that sort of thing.

However, there was a comedy moment the following season, when Balotelli and Minler both scored, and suddenly Howard was sprinting and screaming at the ball boys, whenever the ball went into touch.

I was at the SKC vs Colorado match when this happened. Sporting Kansas City is my MLS team (they are the closest team to me being only about 3 hours drive away). I get up there 5 or 6 times a year. The funny thing is that this happened in the South Stands. The Members Stands on the North side was giving him grief all first half and he handled it really well. SKC went up a goal really early and nearly had a second in the first 10-15 minutes or so. It looked like the defenders were confused and he went out and was trying to straighten things out. So we started chanting "Hey Timmy, Its all your fault" over and over. It went on for quite a while as nothing else was happening. The chant got louder and louder. The ball was on the other end and play had stopped so he went to the post to get his water bottle. I was 4 or 5 rows up and I couldn't have been more than 10 yards from him at this point. He started tapping his thigh to the rhythm of the chant. The chant continued, but lost some heat as many of us cheered. He then turned to us, gave a smile and a thumbs up and the chant died. We directed more at him throughout the half and he applauded us on his way to the locker room. The member's side is called the Cauldron and is known as a really rough end to play on due to the crowd. The South Stands have some other support clubs, but it is normally pretty reserved (which is why I prefer to be on the opposite side with all the crazies). So this really surprised me.

After all of this came out, there was a lot of talk about fans being too close or not being where they were supposed to be, etc. There has been zero evidence that anybody had gotten on the field. It was just a way to try to save face for one of the soccer icons here in the US.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.