Time to get real!

I expect us to sign a big name in January, who it will be I dont know but we do know the owners want players who will "put bums on seats". They want to fill the ground on a regular basis. Remember the start of the season when there was all the excitement around the club? That will come back again in January with another big name, hopefully we will bring in other lesser knowns as reinforcements to push us forward. Imagine you owned the club and had endless riches, would you go all out to sign Bellamy when you can try to sign someone like Villa? Abromovich is the classic case, he wanted schevchenko and he got him, and im sure there are other players that were brought in because of him.

I agree. I think Hughes will be excited at the prospect of signing the likes of Kaka. Yes he might try to bring in a couple of his 'mates' eg Santa Cruz and Bellamy if he's allowed to by Cook and ADUG, but I'm also expecting one or two big name signings.

I've got a hunch that we'll end up with:

Robbie Keane
Michael Owen
Santa Cruz
Kaka
Wayne Bridge
Buffon
And a world class centre back/DM, but I can't think who that might be.

I also think that the red herring of 'we might not sign anybody if they hold us to ransom' is a clever ploy by Cook to do 2 things:

1) Make sure we're not completely ripped off

2) Not unsettle the existing players in the last few games before the transfer window opens.

Moebius said:
nickson71 said:
Moebius said:
And you know this because...... ?

Last time i checked, MH was the manager of man city, and he selects who he wants to buy...

imagine possible conversation in November

Sheik Mansour says "this is a list of what we think are the worlds best player for each position on the pitch" as he hands over a piece of paper "what do you think?"

Mark takes the piece of paper and spend several minutes looking at the paper. Then he picks up a pen and carefully draws a line through two of the names and add two different names. He then passes the paper back saying "I've replaced two players which I think are passed there best"

Sheik Mansour then says "right you can have 4 of them, which ones do you want"

Now imagine this :

man city bid 60m for buffon.... he doesnt want to come to city
man city bid 80m for kaka.... he wants CL football next season
man city bid 70m for Villa.... he looks at the PL table and laughs
man city bid 60m for eto'o... he thinks about leaving a CL spot for a dog fight, then changes his mind

See how it really works ? Yes money is a great tool to have, but some players can simply NOT be bought. And it is even harder to buy said players when just above relegation zone, it kinda makes the "we are going places" argument void ya know.

And as pointed out, Robinho WAS a special case as he just wanted out of Real Madrid at any cost.

I'd say that this post was closer to the truth than anything else i've read ....... as i've said on here many times it's all about where a player WANTS to play ........ Berbatov , Tevez , Ronaldinho , Anelka and Zabaleta all proved that .......... we can offer the selling club or the player in question 'the world' but a player needs to see something in us that he feels will benefit him , and that's the part of any transfer negotiation that's gonna prove difficult to deal with.

Some players just AREN'T money'driven ..... however hard that is to believe!

black mamba said:
Moebius said:
nickson71 said:
Moebius said:
And you know this because...... ?

Last time i checked, MH was the manager of man city, and he selects who he wants to buy...

imagine possible conversation in November

Sheik Mansour says "this is a list of what we think are the worlds best player for each position on the pitch" as he hands over a piece of paper "what do you think?"

Mark takes the piece of paper and spend several minutes looking at the paper. Then he picks up a pen and carefully draws a line through two of the names and add two different names. He then passes the paper back saying "I've replaced two players which I think are passed there best"

Sheik Mansour then says "right you can have 4 of them, which ones do you want"

Now imagine this :

man city bid 60m for buffon.... he doesnt want to come to city
man city bid 80m for kaka.... he wants CL football next season
man city bid 70m for Villa.... he looks at the PL table and laughs
man city bid 60m for eto'o... he thinks about leaving a CL spot for a dog fight, then changes his mind

See how it really works ? Yes money is a great tool to have, but some players can simply NOT be bought. And it is even harder to buy said players when just above relegation zone, it kinda makes the "we are going places" argument void ya know.

And as pointed out, Robinho WAS a special case as he just wanted out of Real Madrid at any cost.

I'd say that this post was closer to the truth than anything else i've read ....... as i've said on here many times it's all about where a player WANTS to play ........ Berbatov , Tevez , Ronaldinho , Anelka and Zabaleta all proved that .......... we can offer the selling club or the player in question 'the world' but a player needs to see something in us that he feels will benefit him , and that's the part of any transfer negotiation that's gonna prove difficult to deal with.

Some players just AREN'T money'driven ..... however hard that is to believe!

on the basis of the bold bit if some AREN'T money driven then some ARE money driven

As I said on page 4 of this thread

"I'm educated enough to know the money talks

and at the same time in some cases the position in the league may put off players

I can also understand the dream that being sold by the club with the money

at the end of the day some/most superstars may say I'd rather play for a bigger club

but if we can get one or two via the money or dream + money it the catalyst for get more

if we get one of rumored player it will make other sit up and take a second look at the dream and the fact that progress is being made on that vision maybe that will convince more to come."

and this also

"but with the realism is the knowledge that with the money and the project and the fact that it's already started with the signing of Robinho we maybe in for some nice surprises

all we need is to get one of the Kaka's of the world then the whole perspective of our club changes - more will follow.
"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.