Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

BLUEYESTU

Am currently on the (very long) waiting list to see my local ENT department at the hospital after being diagnosed with Tinnitus earlier this year.
It started last year (I’m 49) and I now have permanent ringing in my ears that drives me crazy at times, especially when it’s quiet like lying in bed reading. I need to have the tv really loud and can’t hear conversations properly which is affecting my job and social life; pubs and restaurants etc are a nightmare.
Has anyone else suffered with this and if so what help have they had?
I’m assuming I’ll have to wear hearing aids but won’t they just amplify the ringing in my ears as well as they sound around me? Apologies if that sounds really stupid but I have no idea if hearing aids work for this condition like they do for normal ‘hearing loss’.

Am currently on the (very long) waiting list to see my local ENT department at the hospital after being diagnosed with Tinnitus earlier this year.
It started last year (I’m 49) and I now have permanent ringing in my ears that drives me crazy at times, especially when it’s quiet like lying in bed reading. I need to have the tv really loud and can’t hear conversations properly which is affecting my job and social life; pubs and restaurants etc are a nightmare.
I’m assuming I’ll have to wear hearing aids but won’t they just amplify the ringing in my ears as well as they sound around me? Apologies if that sounds really stupid but I have no idea if hearing aids work for this condition like they do for normal ‘hearing loss’.

Sorry cant hear you for this fu*kin whistling in my ear

My dad has had it for close to 50 years as a result of firing guns without ear protection. I used to wonder why he'd have me repeat things sometimes, now that I'm older and my hearing isn't as good as it once was I can sympathise.

Maybe try this?

My wife has it and we have explored every avenue possible,the be all and end all Is that it's an hereditary condition and the prognosis was that it could go as quick as it came...theres no actual cure or anything that can help it..it drives here mad like yourself and me double mad when she wants the tv on that loud as back ground noise to get to sleep that it wakes Australia up

I have been diagnosed with accute tinatus through 'industral injury' by a audiologist last May. The ringing in my ears was so bad it was causing me anxiety and irregular sleep. The industrial injury I put down to RF and EMF exposure working in telecommunications. I have to wear hearing aids but I cannot get used to them, so I haven't worn them for a couple of months. The audiologist recommended eating red meat(especially steak) stop smoking, reduce caffeine, cold showers and
multivitamins to alleviate to tinatus. Fuckin' bizzare I think. It's something I'm slowly getting used to and the high pitch ringing is getting worse tbh.

I intend to wear the hearing aids regularly but I can't say whether they help or not though.

My son has it. Got some advice on here and tried sound therapy. I think he still has it but it’s no longer anywhere near as annoying and he’s stopped complaining about it. Had to buy the device from Australia. Worth a look.
https://mysoundtherapy.com

I've suffered from it for the last 5 years, I'm afraid you won't get much help from the NHS, all they did for me was syringe my ears and suggested I try some mindfulness training at the Buddhist centre in Chorlton.

In the early stages I tried all sorts, I did find an app that helped, you can get a free weeks trial, if it helps its only 99p to buy, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.appyhapps.tinnitusmassage
At bedtime try an app that plays fan noises, it may help you sleep easier.

It's not much help but I found it got more bearable as time went on, your brain learns how to filter the noise out, several years on and I now have one or two bad days a month.

Had this for a couple of months due to an inner ear thing earlier in the year and you have my complete sympathy. Drove me bonkers and could only get to sleep when I pretty much passed out from exhaustion but at least it was temporary for me. good luck :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.