Tip of the iceberg, thin end of the wedge etc etc?

Firstly, please forgive me because I'm sure I've got the seedings arseways. The following pretend draws are for illustrative purposes only...

Look at it this way: next time out England (or Ireland) draw Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Greece and Denmark in a qualifier. This gives the FA a certain amount of income from the TV rights... but not nearly as much as if they had drawn Lichtenstein, Scotland, Portugal and Germany.
Football is a business and so, by extension, are national associations, whether they should be or not is another argument but they at least have to act professionally. Now, remember that no business can make serious plans beyond a two year period if it has to rely on the vagaries of a draw to establish its revenue in the third year. It makes perfect sense in that regard.
England, France, Italy, Spain and Germany (by weight of population and post-coloniasl wealth) are the only countries who could make such plans up to now. In an ever-increasingly money-orientated football world the gulf between them and small countries like Scotland, Holland or Ireland and even big but poor countries like Poland and Greece could only have extended to a point where international football was all but a a non-event.
Nobody would suggest that Scotland, Holland, Ireland, Poland and Greece (and Denmark) haven't contributed great moments to world football events. If this isn't done, there'll onkly be football in five countries in Europe. Don't believe me? take a look at the decline of the national sides of the Celtic nations.

And no, I don't agree with the fair play rules. clubs are a different kettle of fish.

mad4city said:
Firstly, please forgive me because I'm sure I've got the seedings arseways. The following pretend draws are for illustrative purposes only...

Look at it this way: next time out England (or Ireland) draw Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Greece and Denmark in a qualifier. This gives the FA a certain amount of income from the TV rights... but not nearly as much as if they had drawn Lichtenstein, Scotland, Portugal and Germany.
Football is a business and so, by extension, are national associations, whether they should be or not is another argument but they at least have to act professionally. Now, remember that no business can make serious plans beyond a two year period if it has to rely on the vagaries of a draw to establish its revenue in the third year. It makes perfect sense in that regard.
England, France, Italy, Spain and Germany (by weight of population and post-coloniasl wealth) are the only countries who could make such plans up to now. In an ever-increasingly money-orientated football world the gulf between them and small countries like Scotland, Holland or Ireland and even big but poor countries like Poland and Greece could only have extended to a point where international football was all but a a non-event.
Nobody would suggest that Scotland, Holland, Ireland, Poland and Greece (and Denmark) haven't contributed great moments to world football events. If this isn't done, there'll onkly be football in five countries in Europe. Don't believe me? take a look at the decline of the national sides of the Celtic nations.

And no, I don't agree with the fair play rules. clubs are a different kettle of fish.

Fair point, but I can't get past the fact the UEFA have primarily done this for the nice % cut they will receive from the deal.

Out of interest does anybody know what is paid to Uefa now when the individual FA's sell their own TV rights

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.