To Torture or not?

BigJoe#1

So, hypothetically speaking; should the authorities take the two Paris gunmen alive, what levels of pain and torture should be inflicted to get information, any information, that they have out of them?

This is a clear case of they know who they are, they know what they've done and they know they will have information.

What levels of humanity can be breached to make them talk? Or should they be treated with dignity and respect?

I genuinely cannot make up my mind.

Make them read the Ched Evans thread.

They'll be spilling the beans by page 24.

BlueBearBoots said:
but isnt there evidence to suggest torture gets little or no useful information?

Well even if it doesnt,ill take comfort from the fact the cnuts will be in agony.

I would never condone torture, however I fully support the idea that the police, army and special forces should be allowed to take suspects like these to a remote location and then come back to me with the information with no questions asked regarding how they happened to come across it.

I am sure that given a stern talking to they would see the error of their ways.

in truth I wouldn't be arsed if they somehow disappeared.

BlueBearBoots said:
but isnt there evidence to suggest torture gets little or no useful information?
An element doubtlessly to be considered in the argument.

Should we care if these people suffer? Especially if say 10% of the information gathered turns out to be useful.

Or are, as the Americans might say, these people "collateral damabe" and pretty much worthless?

BigJoe#1 said:
So, hypothetically speaking; should the authorities take the two Paris gunmen alive, what levels of pain and torture should be inflicted to get information, any information, that they have out of them?

This is a clear case of they know who they are, they know what they've done and they know they will have information.

What levels of humanity can be breached to make them talk? Or should they be treated with dignity and respect?

I genuinely cannot make up my mind.

This is such a tricky question to answer, and one that normal law abiding citizens don't get involved in.

This is the darkside of life we are dealing with here.

If those two gunmen had toenails etc removed and they talked and it saved innocent people from dying then I suppose the end justifies the means.

We have to remember torture is banned under the Geneva Convention but that's more to do with POW's in a conventional war imo.

I honestly can't decide and it does make me feel uncomfortable even thinking about. Having said that if a bomb went off at the next England match and hundreds of folk died I'd be outraged by that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.