Toby Alderweireld

City_Sean

Telegraph saying we could make a move for him...Demichelis replacement?
Manchester City are monitoring Southampton defender Toby Alderweireld ahead of a potential summer move for the Belgium international.
Alderweireld, currently on loan at St Mary’s from Atlético Madrid, has emerged as a key figure in Southampton’s pursuit of Champions League qualification under manager Ronald Koeman.
But despite Southampton agreeing a £6.8 million option to sign the 25-year-old permanently from the Spanish champions at the end of the season, Atlético are understood to be able to buy out the clause for £1.5m and then sell the player to the highest bidder.
With City aiming to lower the average age of Manuel Pellegrini’s squad – which is currently the oldest in the Premier League – over the next two summer transfer windows, Alderweireld has been identified by director of football Txiki Begiristain as a prospective target due to his ability to play at full-back and centre-half.
Begiristain is also interested in luring another Belgian, Wolfsburg’s former Chelsea midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, to the Etihad Stadium, but the 23-year-old is set to be handed a lucrative new contract by the German club in order to discourage interest from Premier League clubs.

I must admit I have been quite impressed with this lad at Southampton and as a Demichelis replacement I think he could be a decent option to look at.

Hew is very versatile as well as he can play right back and defensive midfield.

I reckon if we are interested Vinny will have a say with him being Belgian.

I would be going for someone who plays like Demicheles in the summer. someone who reads the game first

As for Toby, I do not know whether southampton's system is making him look better than he is or he really is that good (b/c given that he is 25 I can't see Athletico let such a good defender leave if he is as good as its looking)

bluechampion7891 said:
I would be going for someone like Demicheles in the summer. someone who reads the game first

As for Toby, I do not know whether southampton's system is making him look better than he is or he really is that good (b/c given that he is 25 I can't see Athletico let such a good defender leave if he is as good as its looking)

Atletico let him go because they had the best central defensive partnership in the world (Godin and Miranda) last season. Now they have one of the best young defenders on the block, Gimenez, so being a selling club will probably let Alderweireld go. But it doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play for us. Indeed, based on this season he is good enough to play for any PL side. Southampton's performances and defensive shape have been among the best in the league and that's why they're, by some miracle (given their resources vs. the competition), still in the top 4. It's always possible a player can unravel with a move to a top side, but Southampton have actually been playing like a top side this season.

bluechampion7891 said:
McfcMK said:
Kompany, Mangala, Alderweireld and Rekik/Denayer next season?

probably boyata due to being club trained

Keep Boyata as 5th choice but use Denayer as 4th choice.

Boyata doesn't play anyway and will only have on year left on his contract at the end of this season, I doubt he will be getting another.

If we can get Alderweireld at the right price then he is a good addition.

sam-caddick said:
bluechampion7891 said:
McfcMK said:
Kompany, Mangala, Alderweireld and Rekik/Denayer next season?

probably boyata due to being club trained

Keep Boyata as 5th choice but use Denayer as 4th choice.

Boyata doesn't play anyway and will only have on year left on his contract at the end of this season, I doubt he will be getting another.

having another non HG defender means having 1 less foreign midfielder or forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.