Tony Coton

I agree that there was not much in it. Both very unfortunate not to gain more England caps.

Corrigan had clemence & shilton in front of him prob the best two keepers in the world at the time? Coton was better than any other english keeper but he played for us so end of eng chance

Corrigan was unlucky to have Shilton and Clemence in front of him, and in another era would have won more than just the 9 caps he earned. However, even more unlucky was someone like Phil Parkes (the QPR/West Ham one, not the Wolves one) who only won a single cap and barely ever made the squad. Not saying he should have been ahead of Joe, because I don't think he should have, but he was a fine 'keeper and wouldn't have been out of place as an international.

TC's book obviously deals with the reasons behind his non-selection. Will be interested to read that.

Remember once watching training through the fence at Platt lane and a car drove past and some rag shouted "your effing shit City" - Coton screamed back some wonderful obscenities which amounted to come and say that to my face - much to Steve Redmond's amusement.

Corrigan was unlucky to have Shilton and Clemence in front of him, and in another era would have won more than just the 9 caps he earned. However, even more unlucky was someone like Phil Parkes (the QPR/West Ham one, not the Wolves one) who only won a single cap and barely ever made the squad. Not saying he should have been ahead of Joe, because I don't think he should have, but he was a fine 'keeper and wouldn't have been out of place as an international.

TC's book obviously deals with the reasons behind his non-selection. Will be interested to read that.

I think Joe was unfortunate that Clemence was so well established.

Parkes was a bloody good keeper too.

I don't (have time to) read enough books (been slowly ploughing my way through Gary James' history of City) but I might get TC's: think it will be an interesting book.

I think Joe was unfortunate that Clemence was so well established.

Parkes was a bloody good keeper too.

I don't (have time to) read enough books (been slowly ploughing my way through Gary James' history of City) but I might get TC's: think it will be an interesting book.

I agree about Parkes and delighted your limited time to read books is filled by Manchester The City Years. Thanks. Really appreciated. I would also encourage you to get Coton's book, ghost written by a Blue too!

Was at the Ipswich game when it was called off for the torrential downpour and do vaguely remember him losing the plot now.Funny how you forget little things over time although it might be due to the pints behind the kippax .Still irks me how he used to clap at if you hate Man Utd clap your hands ,then trollied of to that lot as soon as he could.As the book says though maybe it wasn't his doing .Maybe I can forgive and forget as he was one of my heroes at the time .

Not bought the book yet but bumped into him a number of years ago in Castlefield and approached him, after a few drinks, about signing for United.

He stated he did not want to leave and the club were trying to push him out to Sunderland. His missus did not want to uproot the family so he reluctantly went to them. We ended up having a few drinks with him and he described himself as City fan.

For losing the plot check out the Derby match (Quinn penalty) when TC thre his gloves at the ref with one landing on his shoulder.

I thought it was turning down an England B after that which was the nail in the coffin.

Whatever happened between Swales and Taylor, as they are both dead now, so you can say anything.

He would have been my 5th favourite city keeper had he not gone to united, after both Joes, Nicky and David. He was about a par with Joe C but Hart and James were more talented, and being 3 inches taller helps too.

Great shot stopper, but his time was up irrespective of injury, once keepers were prevented from handling the ball from backpasses. (Like Liverpool when backpasses were limited to one at a time!)

Made Joe hart look like Maradona with his ball control.

Edit: speaking of Liverpool, George Courtney v Coton, most bent reffing ever.
I reckon TC must have fucked and chucked his daughter the way that **** gunned for him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.