Tony Kellow RIP

Vienna_70

Team supported
Treble Winners 2022/23.
I doubt many of you have heard of Tony, but we grew up in the same village, though he is a few years older than me.

Tony played until he was 24 in the South-Western League with Falmouth Town and Penzance, while working at Falmouth Docks. He'd had clubs chasing him, but his dad insisted he learn his trade before embarking on a professional career, just in case he didn't make it.

He signed for Exeter City in 1976 or 77. There were rumours at the time that Tony Book was interested in bringing him to City. I asked him about this a few years ago, and he said that although City was willing to give him a trial, he opted for the security of a permanent contract at St James' Park. However, he told me that he did score at Maine road once, while playing for Blackpool reserves in the old Central League.

The first professional game I ever saw was Exeter vs. Leicester in an FA Cup replay 1981. Tony scored a hat-trick in a 3-0 victory, and they eventually lost to Spurs in the quarter-finals (sound familiar?).

Tony had three spells at Exeter, and he also played for Plymouth, Newport and Swansea, as well as Blackpool (where his manager was Alan Ball). He is Exeter's all-time leading scorer, and rated by many Grecians' supporters as their greatest-ever player.

We often shared a joke and a laugh in the local pub, whenever I went down to visit my parents and he even had the pleasure of meeting Mrs Vienna on more than one occasion.

Tony had six brothers and two sisters and died at the tragically young age of 58.

He will be sadly missed.

RIP Tony.

Last edited:
Many years ago while on holiday me and Dad decided to go watch Exeter v Bournemouth in league cup first round and I'm sure he was playing, can't remember score but pretty certain Exeter went through.

Many years ago while on holiday me and Dad decided to go watch Exeter v Bournemouth in league cup first round and I'm sure he was playing, can't remember score but pretty certain Exeter went through.
After a quick google search, I think it might have been 1978/79:

Exeter beat Bournemouth 1-0 away, and yes, Tony scored the goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.