Too many guitarists, not enough piano players?

You are right to say Fernando is not appalling. Any player who manages to have the second best pass completion stats in the Premier League (with an average of just under 50 passes per game) is not appalling.

However, I don't agree that he has been used badly, even though I do agree that he is better in a midfield three. I think he has taken time to settle in and that has been exacerbated by a lack of real pace, which I suspect means he has had to work on his positioning and anticipation due to the speed of the English game.

To be honest I think his pass completion rate being so high is indicative of the major issue I have with him. He never plays the ball forwards.

Garcia has similarly impressive on the face of it pass completion stats, because they both pass the ball square and backwards so often. Also the speed at which he makes a pass is a problem, he slows down our tempo.

Look at someone like Barry, decent pass conpletion stats, but it was the quality of the pass that separated him from Garcia and Fernando. He looked to move the ball forwards quickly, sharp, incisive, intelligent passing. The stats can't tell you that.

To be honest I think his pass completion rate being so high is indicative of the major issue I have with him. He never plays the ball forwards.

Garcia has similarly impressive on the face of it pass completion stats, because they both pass the ball square and backwards so often. Also the speed at which he makes a pass is a problem, he slows down our tempo.

Look at someone like Barry, decent pass conpletion stats, but it was the quality of the pass that separated him from Garcia and Fernando. He looked to move the ball forwards quickly, sharp, incisive, intelligent passing. The stats can't tell you that.

According to Squawka 73% of his passes were forward passes.

http://www.squawka.com/players/fern...eason-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#by-match

I also don't agree with you that we're targeting the wrong areas.

How many times last season were we in a promising position only for a lack of cutting edge in the final third letting us down, getting hit on the counter and then conceding?

Central midfield does need addressing but for me the most urgent area in need of attention is out wide in attack.

According to Squawka 73% of his passes were forward passes.

http://www.squawka.com/players/fernando-reges/stats#performance-score#manchester-city-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#by-match

I also don't agree with you that we're targeting the wrong areas.

How many times last season were we in a promising position only for a lack of cutting edge in the final third letting us down, getting hit on the counter and then conceding?

Central midfield does need addressing but for me the most urgent area in need of attention is out wide in attack.
The 73% stat is interesting, but I'd have to look deeper in to the stats to put them in to context with how that 73% compared with Barry, Busquets, Carrick, and others who play in a similar position.

However, I think it's naive to judge a player solely on stats, the certainly don't give you the full picture of a player. Fernando has a higher pass completion than David Silva and Paul Scholes, does it make him a better passer of a ball? I don't think it does.

It's the decision making, the speed of thought, the setting the tempo of play that I value ahead of pass completion stats. You can only judge that from watching a player play. I've seen enough of Fernando to say I don't rate him as a footballer, others have a different view, which is their right. But there is no stat that will change my view of him, the only thing that will change it is if his performance shows a dramatic improvement.

To others saying we need to add creative and attacking players, I agree. But I think we have a real weakness in central midfield too that needs addressing. I'm not suggesting we're not targeting and central midfielders, simply asking other blues which areas they think we need to adress. If others don't think we need to address the centre of midfield, fair enough, everyone has a different view.

The 73% stat is interesting, but I'd have to look deeper in to the stats to put them in to context with how that 73% compared with Barry, Busquets, Carrick, and others who play in a similar position.

However, I think it's naive to judge a player solely on stats, the certainly don't give you the full picture of a player. Fernando has a higher pass completion than David Silva and Paul Scholes, does it make him a better passer of a ball? I don't think it does.

It's the decision making, the speed of thought, the setting the tempo of play that I value ahead of pass completion stats. You can only judge that from watching a player play. I've seen enough of Fernando to say I don't rate him as a footballer, others have a different view, which is their right. But there is no stat that will change my view of him, the only thing that will change it is if his performance shows a dramatic improvement.

To others saying we need to add creative and attacking players, I agree. But I think we have a real weakness in central midfield too that needs addressing. I'm not suggesting we're not targeting and central midfielders, simply asking other blues which areas they think we need to adress. If others don't think we need to address the centre of midfield, fair enough, everyone has a different view.

I'm not judging solely on stats. For me the jury is still out on Fernando, if he doesn't hit the ground running next season then I think it's fair to say he won't be with us much longer but I don't like writing anyone off after just a year.

I'm not judging solely on stats. For me the jury is still out on Fernando, if he doesn't hit the ground running next season then I think it's fair to say he won't be with us much longer but I don't like writing anyone off after just a year.

Yeh that's fair enough mate. If we play 433 or even a diamond next year I think it would get the best out of him, would get the best out of Yaya and Pogba if we sign him, and Fernandinho could play in either role. I assume Pellegrini is going to stick to his guns with 442, but if anything good comes from last season, let's hope he's learned the lessons that last season taught.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.