Top 6 mini league 17/18

Well in the end a nice way for us to finish off the mini league.

These are the results

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Spurs 2 v 2 Liverpool
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
City 2 v 3 Rag twat jammy bastards
Spurs 1 v 3 City

The standings are

1 City played 10 points 24
2 Rags plated 9 Points 16
3 Spurs played 10 Points 13
4 Liverpool played 9 points 10
5 Chelsea played 9 points 9
6 Arsenal played 9 points 6

This was posted on Football365. Its a nice way to summarise our domination of the mini league:

Manchester City have beaten every one of their nearest rivals and most of them comfortably. Having now played all ten of their league matches against the traditional top six, City have taken 2.40 points per game from those matches, dropping six. Next come Manchester United with 1.78, Tottenham on 1.3 and Liverpool 1.11. City have scored 2.70 goals per game in those matches; the next best is Liverpool with 1.77. That is dominance.

Well in the end a nice way for us to finish off the mini league.

These are the results

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Spurs 2 v 2 Liverpool
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City

The standings are

2 Rags plated 9 Points 16
6 Arsenal played 9 points 6

This was posted on Football365. Its a nice way to summarise our domination of the mini league:
And it should have been 27 points. Watching that performance last night makes the second half against the vermin all the more annoying. Between the refereeing ineptitude and the defensive farce, we should have beaten them. And even the one other defeat; a suicidal 15 minutes did for us at Anfield.

I almost forgot to update this.

With one top 6 clash remaining (Chelsea v Liverpool at the weekend) here are the results

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Liverpool 2 v 2 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City
Rags 2 v 1 Arsenal

The standings are

2 Rags plated 10 Points 19
6 Arsenal played 10 points 6

In the end being 5 points ahead of the rags is a bit underwhelming. Mind, the table (the real one) doesn’t lie. It’s just amazing that the second best team in England could only beat Arsenal reserves with a 93rd minute hoofball up to the big man.

Also interesting, given their rise by popular acclaim to status of world’s No 1 team, is the fact that the dippers have a distinctly mediocre record against other top 6 clubs. With an away match at Chelsea to come, they have so far amassed a mighty one point away from home against top 6 opposition- a 3-3 draw against Arsenal. Their away record gives them an aggregate score of 14-5. At home they beat us and Arsenal and drew against Chelsea Spurs and the rags. In total against top 6 opposition they have scored 16 and conceded 20. We for contrast scored 27 and conceded 10, admittedly in one more game. Spurs scored 15 and conceded 16. Funny, you don’t hear them being talked about as potential champions next year even with similar numbers.

I think it’s probably beyond Chelsea to catch them now. But a win at the weekend and it is is definitely possible

And so the mini league ends. These are the comprehensive results

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Liverpool 2 v 2 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City
Rags 2 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Liverpool

The standings are

4 Chelsea played 10 Points 12
5 Liverpool played 10 points 10

For all their turgid football the rags do seem to be the second best team in England - and second best by a distance. We ended up 5 Points ahead of them in this mini league- winning last month would have turned that gap into 11 which I think would have been a truer reflection of where we are. Hey ho.

If you wanted evidence that Liverpool are some way off challenging for the title, here it is. Chelsea might still sneak into the Champions league ahead of them - though I doubt it. Arsenal managed one victory against top 6 opposition.

It’s been interesting to look back over the thread to see how the season has panned out. I was guilty of giving Spurs too much respect before Christmas. Should have known! Others were quick to write the rags off. But generally there have been some pretty insightful comments. I remember in the early days of the season when the rags were getting giddy we pointed out that they hadn’t played anyone yet. And look what happened when they did. People pointed out that Liverpool had a strong front line but would not sustain a title challenge because they lacked a midfield and had no squad depth. They were right too.

Anyway if I have time I might pick out some choice quotes from the season. Otherwise, that’s me signing off

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Liverpool 2 v 2 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City
Rags 2 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Liverpool

The standings are

For all their turgid football the rags do seem to be the second best team in England - and second best by a distance. We ended up 5 Points ahead of them in this mini league- winning last month would have turned that gap into 11 which I think would have been a truer reflection of where we are. Hey ho.

If you wanted evidence that Liverpool are some way off challenging for the title, here it is. Chelsea might still sneak into the Champions league ahead of them - though I doubt it. Arsenal managed one victory against top 6 opposition.

It’s been interesting to look back over the thread to see how the season has panned out. I was guilty of giving Spurs too much respect before Christmas. Should have known! Others were quick to write the rags off. But generally there have been some pretty insightful comments. I remember in the early days of the season when the rags were getting giddy we pointed out that they hadn’t played anyone yet. And look what happened when they did. People pointed out that Liverpool had a strong front line but would not sustain a title challenge because they lacked a midfield and had no squad depth. They were right too.

Anyway if I have time I might pick out some choice quotes from the season. Otherwise, that’s me signing off

Liverpool = overhyped cup team

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Liverpool 2 v 2 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City
Rags 2 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Liverpool

The standings are

Thanks for maintaining this all season Chris. Much appreciated.

Those stats can't be right, as everyone knows, the only reason Liverpool aren't champions, is because they take their eye off the ball against the lower table teams.

They are brilliant against the top sides & as a consequence, next year, obviously, is their year.

The only way they have a chance is if the rest of the squad get the same dentist as klipperty and firminio and blind the opposition

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs
Liverpool 1 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 1 v 3 rags
Rags 1 v 2 City
City 4 v 1 Spurs
Arsenal 3 v 3 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 3 City
Spurs 2 v 0 Rags
Liverpool 2 v 2 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 0 Arsenal
Rags 2 v 1 Chelsea
Arsenal 0 v 3 City
City 1 v 0 Chelsea
Rags 2 v 1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1 v 3 Spurs
Spurs 1 v 3 City
Rags 2 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Liverpool

The standings are

You are right re the derby result. Even a draw would have meant we lead 25-17 points and that would not have flattered us. Roll on next season.

Here’s something I found interesting that is indirectly relevant to this thread but not interesting enough to warrant a thread of its own

I’m just watching a review of the first title winning season. At the end of a January 2012, the top 6 is the same top 6 as this year. Below them, the rest of the table is as follows.

Newcastle, Stoke, Everton, Norwich, Sunderland, Villa, Swansea, Fulham, West Brom, QPR, Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan.

Bar Everton, every single one of the teams outside the then and current top 6 has been relegated since. Newcastle are back, Wolves and either Fulham or Villa are back next season, West Brom Stoke and Swansea are only just down, and Sunderland Wigan and Blackburn have gone into freefall. Nonetheless, at some point in a six year cycle every team bar one outside the top 6 has gone down.

Seems as though if you are not in the top 6, sooner or later you will be relegated. Sobering thought for any team that is not.

Unless, maybe, you’re Everton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.