General transfer rumours

We only paid something like £12m for him and he's a couple of years older and on significantly higher wages for a new club to have to compete with, so if we can get half of what we paid back then that's not bad at all

As with Javier Garcia, Fernando hasn't been that bad as some make out on here. Not more than a squad player, but a perfect squad player for that matter. Behaving professional, never moaning and when called upon, he did a decent job. Think he was actually having a good run of games in the final part of the Pellegrini-area. The club who gets him will get themselves a reliable DM and he will be worth the transferfee if that is to be somewhere between 5-8 mill's.

Newcastle are closing in on the £5m signing of midfielder Fernando (29) from Manchester City. [The Sun]

Southampton and Bournemouth are also in the hunt for Fernando, but Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez believes he can strike a £5m deal. [The Sun]
Good move for him and also a good signing for Newcastle i think. Good luck to him.

As with Javier Garcia, Fernando hasn't been that bad as some make out on here. Not more than a squad player, but a perfect squad player for that matter. Behaving professional, never moaning and when called upon, he did a decent job. Think he was actually having a good run of games in the final part of the Pellegrini-area. The club who gets him will get themselves a reliable DM and he will be worth the transferfee if that is to be somewhere between 5-8 mill's.

He hasn't been bad at all, he just rarely plays. He's not a bad footballer either, as some make out, he's just not upto match speed with his first touch & awareness, because he doesn't play enough. It's the same with Iheanacho (except he is so good he scores anyway).

We only paid something like £12m for him and he's a couple of years older and on significantly higher wages for a new club to have to compete with, so if we can get half of what we paid back then that's not bad at all
But there is inflation and then there is football inflation and Fernando being a relatively solid member of a standard CL team for 3 years, I'd expect, let's say, exactly the same price we have bought him, but certainly not less.

The more I've thought about it the more I like the idea tbh, he's got the potential to be a very Pep like player at the base of our midfield. He's got so much composure on the ball and the ability to pick all the passes, or keep it simple and just recycle possession if nothings on. Been very impressed with him at the Confederations cup so far, much more like what he's supposed to be doing than he's been doing previously for Portugal.
Carvalho is genuinely an excellent passer of the ball who has the vision to know where to pass before he receives the ball and the technique to consistently execute it properly.

Not to turn this into another Stones bashing but .......Some say Stones is an excellent footballer for a defender and may be better in DM. He's no where near Carvalho's ability. And that's what I'd expect to believe the hype here and in the media about Stone's footballing ability/potential. So without that hype I'd want a really good defender. So I hope he improves in that area this year - de-fence, de-fence, de-fence.

=======

All that said Carvalho has less drive to get to a ball than I think I've ever seen from a DM/CM so I'd doubt that he'd succeed for us.

Well put, I agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.