Txiki Begiristain

he's made mistakes for sure. As I pointed out though when he came in the squad wasn't in great shape, and a lot of players have left through either unfortunate circumstances or through their own volition, they all needed replacing and quality brought in on top. When a couple go wrong, and a lot have come in recently, then it's going to look worse than it really is.

I wouldn't call it underwhelming. De Bruyne is clearly better than Silva and clearly more dangerous than Yaya, you only have to watch brief glimpses of City in the past 18 months to see that. You do him a great disservice in order to try and prove your point.

As I said, there's no such thing as world class money. Players like Kaka and James have gone for comfortably more and done less.

He's not as good as Silva now, and way off what YaYa was.
He's a great player, so he should be. There are several players though who have similar price tags and more importantly standing in the game that have out performed De Bruyne for our rivals.

As I've said, Txiki has done some fantastic work, but he & his department have overseen a pretty poor last few years in terms of squad enhancement.
Our squad undoubtedly lacks balance in both age and positionally.

If we stick with De Bruyne, a player we both agree is fantastic, then I'll ask you this.

Why is his form so patchy?

For me, it's because two managers in a row have had to constantly move him positionally because his favoured position, the position he played in, the position we bought him based on does not exist in our squad. He's constantly moved around as is Silva in order to accommodate for our alarming lack of squad balance.

So the problems with our squad are hindering our brightest talents.
A lack of quality centre mids and frankly woeful full back options are making Stones look like David Brightwell at times.
Otamendi looks ok when Sagna is next to him at right back, not so much when Zabaleta is there. Poor old Stones is left hung out to dry.

Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva & Sane have all been asked to do a job on the left. Non of them do well there and it nullifies their talents.

Our squad is simply unbalanced. It lacks pace & tenacity, it seems to lack hunger, top class players are playing out of position every week.

We play Spurs In a few hours, we all know we simply can't match them physically.
We are relying on our manager to come up with some fantastic tactical master plan to have any hope of a victory.

They've run us off the park once, most fans are not confident of winning.

Txiki has overseen a far far far greater net spend than our rivals today, we have the best manager in the World and yet we are all shitting it.
Does that not say it all?

The forward isn't scoring, that's a valid statement. However our only forward is Aguero with Nacho on the bench.

We've gone from having Aguero/Tevez/Dzeko/Balotelli and even Aguero/Negredo/Jovetic to one forward.

We're out of the title race because the forwards aren't scoring.

Everton home, Middlesborough home, Southampton home, Chelsea home.

Those 4 games, 9 points, are why we are out of the title race.

- 2 missed penalties vs. Everton and countless easy chances missed.

- A dozen huge chances missed vs. Middlesborough and Southampton.

- Chelsea home, KDB misses and open goal, Aguero misses a huge chance.

Whatever the merits and flaws of the Director of football, the reason we are out of the title race is our forwards inability to score easy goals, make no mistake about that.

Agreed, but I would add our lack of goals from midfield into the mix. In our title winning years we could rely on goals from coming from midfield when the attack weren't at it. That meant the opposition were faced with a raft of problems not just marking Aguero out of it.

Same goes for our defence though. I'm convinced most of our problems there come from a lack of cover in midfield. Sometimes having brilliant midfield players doesn't add up to a brilliant midfield.

We're out of the title race because the forwards aren't scoring.

Everton home, Middlesborough home, Southampton home, Chelsea home.

Those 4 games, 9 points, are why we are out of the title race.

- 2 missed penalties vs. Everton and countless easy chances missed.

- A dozen huge chances missed vs. Middlesborough and Southampton.

- Chelsea home, KDB misses and open goal, Aguero misses a huge chance.

Whatever the merits and flaws of the Director of football, the reason we are out of the title race is our forwards inability to score easy goals, make no mistake about that.

Joint 9th best defensive record and I think 8 out of the last 10 Premier League Champions have won the league.

Keep a clean sheet in all the games you mention and we take the points. Don't fit your narrative so must be wrong......

We score in virtually every game but hardly ever keep a clean sheet these days.

He's not as good as Silva now, and way off what YaYa was.
He's a great player, so he should be. There are several players though who have similar price tags and more importantly standing in the game that have out performed De Bruyne for our rivals.

As I've said, Txiki has done some fantastic work, but he & his department have overseen a pretty poor last few years in terms of squad enhancement.
Our squad undoubtedly lacks balance in both age and positionally.

If we stick with De Bruyne, a player we both agree is fantastic, then I'll ask you this.

Why is his form so patchy?

For me, it's because two managers in a row have had to constantly move him positionally because his favoured position, the position he played in, the position we bought him based on does not exist in our squad. He's constantly moved around as is Silva in order to accommodate for our alarming lack of squad balance.

So the problems with our squad are hindering our brightest talents.
A lack of quality centre mids and frankly woeful full back options are making Stones look like David Brightwell at times.
Otamendi looks ok when Sagna is next to him at right back, not so much when Zabaleta is there. Poor old Stones is left hung out to dry.

Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva & Sane have all been asked to do a job on the left. Non of them do well there and it nullifies their talents.

Our squad is simply unbalanced. It lacks pace & tenacity, it seems to lack hunger, top class players are playing out of position every week.

We play Spurs In a few hours, we all know we simply can't match them physically.
We are relying on our manager to come up with some fantastic tactical master plan to have any hope of a victory.

They've run us off the park once, most fans are not confident of winning.

Txiki has overseen a far far far greater net spend than our rivals today, we have the best manager in the World and yet we are all shitting it.
Does that not say it all?

KDB shits all over Silva's and Toure's contribution since he's been here.

You're right that the constant shifting of KDB's position is harmful, but that's Pep's fault for trying to fit Silva/Yaya/Gundogan in the team when the midfield should be built around what will make KDB most effective in that particular game. The balance is bad because Pep wants to put his favourites in, nothing more imo.

Games KDB has changed the result of:

2-1 v Arsenal, assist for Sterling for winning goal.
2-0 v Watford, assist to Zaba for opening goal.
1-1 v Gladbach, assist for Silva's equaliser.
2-1 v Palace, assist for Yaya's winner.
1-1 v Boro, assist for Aguero's opening goal.
3-1 v Barca, scored the goal that gave us the lead.
3-1 v Swansea, won the penalty to take us to 2-1, then set Sterling up for 3-1.
2-1 v United, scored the opener, shot hit post for Kelechi to tap in the 2nd.
2-2 v Arsenal, made it 2-1.
1-0 v PSG, scored the winner.
2-2 v PSG, scored the opener.
3-1 v Everton, Scored for 2-1 and set up Kun for 3-1 to take us to Wembley.
4-1 v Sunderland, set up the 1st, 3rd and scored the 4th.
3-1 v Southampton, scored the opener, set up the 2nd & 3rd.
2-1 v Norwich, set up opening goal.
2-1 v Sevilla, scored the winner.

that's just games where it was a game changing goal or assist. Essentially won us Arsenal (H), Barca (H), United (A), PSG (h) & Everton (H) in the semi and Sevilla (A).

What a miserable 18 months we'd have had without him. When you make that level of contribution, you're worth every penny regardless of inconsistency.

Players with similar price tags:

-Martial, ha.
-Di Maria, ha, ha.
-Luiz, ha, ha, ha.
-Cavani ha, ha, ha, ha.
-Oscar ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
-Kaka etc.
-James etc. etc.

Or did you mean Torres back in the day, or Hulk, or Alex Teixeira? because Suarez, Neymar, Ronaldo, Bale cost a lot more. Even Ozil at a bit less can't be considered in the same bracket of making an impact, he goes missing in the precise environment De Bruyne comes alive.

KDB shits all over Silva's and Toure's contribution since he's been here.

I don't agree. But that's not the discussion. I'm a fan of De Bruyne so I'm not sure why you've wasted all that time trying to impress his contribution on me.

I said his contribution has been about what I expected for our record transfer and the Bundesliga player of the year.

I would expect similar from a £50 million player.

Point remaining though, we are not getting his consistent best because the squad lacks the balance to facilitate his skill set.

There's isn't the energy round him to play Pep's high press, there isn't the full backs offering the width to allow him space.

As you say, Pep is trying to fit YaYa, Silva, Gundogan, Silva, Sterling and De Bruyne into the side.
Why do you think that is?
It's because there's no balance. No one is leaving Silva out for Delph. Or Sterling out for Navas..

Joint 9th best defensive record and I think 8 out of the last 10 Premier League Champions have won the league

I think you'll find 10/10 premier league champions won the league.

If you mean 8/10 teams with the best defence then you're wrong.

Only 4 times in the last 10 seasons have the champions have the best defence. If you're going to use phrases like "didn't fit you're narrative" at least check the facts you're throwing about.

Keep a clean sheet in all the games you mention and we take the points. Don't fit your narrative so must be wrong......days.

No shit. Keep a clean sheet every game and you get more points. In the real world, where the opposition does score from time to time, you need to put away opportunities in front of goal.

We score in virtually every game but hardly ever keep a clean sheet thesedays.

We've kept more clean sheets in the last 6 games than we did in the first 6 when we were going 11 unbeaten.

Which run would you prefer?

On the other hand we scored 18 goals in the first 6 games (3.0 per game).

Since then? 21 in 15 games (1.4 per game).

We've scored far fewer than our competition.

if you actually watch the games, you'd know that a lot of the goals we concede are because we've not killed the game off.

If we put away the 2 piss easy chances against Chelsea it's 3-0 and they aren't coming back. They simply aren't going to pick up the morale to score 3 goals from there.

We should have been 3 or 4 up against Everton, and then we don't have Otamendi and Stones So high up the pitch trying to force a goal. Then it's not 1v1 Clichy vs Lukaku, it's 2 or 3v1

It's not taking chances that has killed us, and if you don't beleive me, perhaps listen to the manager, as he's been saying it since October.

I don't agree. But that's not the discussion. I'm a fan of De Bruyne so I'm not sure why you've wasted all that time trying to impress his contribution on me.

I said his contribution has been about what I expected for our record transfer and the Bundesliga player of the year.

I would expect similar from a £50 million player.

Point remaining though, we are not getting his consistent best because the squad lacks the balance to facilitate his skill set.

There's isn't the energy round him to play Pep's high press, there isn't the full backs offering the width to allow him space.

As you say, Pep is trying to fit YaYa, Silva, Gundogan, Silva, Sterling and De Bruyne into the side.
Why do you think that is?
It's because there's no balance. No one is leaving Silva out for Delph. Or Sterling out for Navas..

and that's why we'll continue to struggle this season.

So you expected KDB to single-handedly take us to Wembley, take us through to the CL semi-final and single-handedly win an away derby, beat Arsenal and beat Barca?

That's awfully high expectations for one player you admit hasn't got the tools around him, and gives the rest of the team a free pass.

God forbid we hadn't won any of those games, you'd be livid.

I think you'll find 10/10 premier league champions won the league.

If you mean 8/10 teams with the best defence then you're wrong.

Only 4 times in the last 10 seasons have the champions have the best defence. If you're going to use phrases like "didn't fit you're narrative" at least check the facts you're throwing about.

No shit. Keep a clean sheet every game and you get more points. In the real world, where the opposition does score from time to time, you need to put away opportunities in front of goal.

We've kept more clean sheets in the last 6 games than we did in the first 6 when we were going 11 unbeaten.

Which run would you prefer?

On the other hand we scored 18 goals in the first 6 games (3.0 per game).

Since then? 21 in 15 games (1.4 per game).

We've scored far fewer than our competition.

if you actually watch the games, you'd know that a lot of the goals we concede are because we've not killed the game off.

If we put away the 2 piss easy chances against Chelsea it's 3-0 and they aren't coming back. They simply aren't going to pick up the morale to score 3 goals from there.

We should have been 3 or 4 up against Everton, and then we don't have Otamendi and Stones So high up the pitch trying to force a goal. Then it's not 1v1 Clichy vs Lukaku, it's 2 or 3v1

It's not taking chances that has killed us, and if you don't beleive me, perhaps listen to the manager, as he's been saying it since October.

Close to the mark but I do recall Pep saying on numerous occasions we haven't been " strong enough " in both boxes as he phrases it and one could assume he refers to conceding too many goals from the chances the opposition have created.

Its fairly clear to me that in the past 15 games we haven't been clinical enough at both ends , ok in the other areas areas but not where it counts.

Do we need to play such a high line with our CB's irrespective of the scoreline?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.