Txiki Begiristain

I don't think the board or Pep has criticised the club's transfer policy. Quite the opposite, Pep said it was impossible to change an entire team in one window. Hence he began the season with a mixture of old and young.

Mullock's been criticising Begiristain for a while now. Feels like he took the temperature around about a year ago and realised that loads of Blues would be quick to click any stories written negatively about Txiki/Pellegrini.

I can only go off Peps book and if Pep has commented 'it is impossible to change an entire team in one window' that sore of infers that drastic work, in his opinion, is required. It was stated ten players would be required in a meeting in Dubai in June and in Peps view the age profile of the squad worried him.

Very similar to comments by a lot of people on here.

You misunderstand the point i'm making. Who was in for Silva when we went in for him? Toure? Balotelli? How come we had a relatively free run at these players? The reality is that yes, those signings were more successful than CHEAPER players brought in on LESS wages later on, but we also signed those players in a market that was MUCH less competitive.

Spurs bought Bale from Southampton and developed him. Suarez was bought from Holland for relative peanuts. What i'm talking about is the competition for top bracket players. It's fiercer now, much fiercer, than it was in 2009/2010. That's just a reality.

Im not sure I agree with that. I see no reason top clubs back in 2010, if they knew how successful players like Silva, Aguero, Yaya would have been would not actively have been pursuing them. We just identified the right players at the right time and in fairness players like Yaya, Aguero,Silva raised there profile at this club.

If anything our recent success and profile should make the acquisition of players easier now and in recent transfers (Jesus accepted) I am not sure who we were in a bidding war with for Sane, Stones, Mangala, Bony, Otamendi, Sterling. The transfer fees offered to clubs seemed to blow rivals out of the water or our rivals chose different targets not to disimilar to the 2009/2011 era

Im not sure I agree with that. I see no reason top clubs back in 2010, if they knew how successful players like Silva, Aguero, Yaya would have been would not actively have been pursuing them. We just identified the right players at the right time and in fairness players like Yaya, Aguero,Silva raised there profile at this club.

If anything our recent success and profile should make the acquisition of players easier now and in recent transfers (Jesus accepted) I am not sure who we were in a bidding war with for Sane, Stones, Mangala, Bony, Otamendi, Sterling. The transfer fees offered to clubs seemed to blow rivals out of the water or our rivals chose different targets not to disimilar to the 2009/2011 era

Frank some people won't ever give Cook the credit he deserves but his legacy is there for all to see. Today's match day squad will still contain many multiple champions purchased under his leadership.

The football landscape may have changed but you can only live in your era/environment.

Frank some people won't ever give Cook the credit he deserves but his legacy is there for all to see. Today's match day squad will still contain many multiple champions purchased under his leadership.

The football landscape may have changed but you can only live in your era/environment.

Its a mystery why people wish downgrade that side/manager/club achieved.

When we won it some fans narrative was 'United threw it away' and the arguments the league was not as competitive.

Our home record was 19-1-0, we finshed on 89 points winning match after match against a team and club like United who were serial winners at that time. It was a phenomenal achievement, particularly when you consider the performances at Spurs/United and the character shown to win matches such as Chelsea/Spurs at home/QPR etc.

Im excited about this latest crop and Im hopeful they can achieve even greater things. I certainly wont be dismissing their achievements if they do.

I never heard any CITY fan suggest anything that could be construed as the Scum threw it away - seems weird that.

Edit - BTW, not suggesting you are not a CITY fan, I know you are - just seems contrary to all my memories

The year we won the league United still had Ferguson, Spurs had Bale, Modric, VDV, Arsenal van persie and Liverpool Suarez and Chelsea won the Champions league. In comparison to last year I am not sure the last two were even comparable.

We may have been more generous with agents but our transfer fees paid have increased substantially.

I think the major difference was the signings from that era proved significantly more successful, however this latest crop might rival them in the future.
I am surprised Txiki hasn't received more credit for identifying Jesus. At the time we agreed to sign him, he hadn't played for Brazil or won the league with his club so he must have been just one of several very talented young players in Brazil. Not only did we identify him, but we managed to get him to come to England which is pretty much a first for a young Brazilian player. Most of their top young players go to Spain.

Signing players when you have a big cheque book is easy. Anyone can do it. But identifying the top young players on a different continent before they are widely known over here, and beating the Spanish giants to his signature is where he adds value. Also look at the current academy. I am sure that some of those players will progress to the first team in the next couple of seasons.

You have a point but you have to balance that out against wages, we could blow other clubs out of the water by offering more wages. You only need look at the annual salaries of clubs at the time for evidence of this. Since Soriano/Txiki came in there's been a concerted effort to reduce the wage bill to something that's more sustainable and as a result our competitors have caught up with us and overtaken us in a a couple of cases meaning our negotiating hand with players/agents has weakened.

As for who we were in a bidding war with, we can only go off press reports and speculate on whether they're true or not, if we accept they are then we were bidding against Bayern for Sané, Chelsea for Mangala and the rags for Otamendi.

I never heard any CITY fan suggest anything that could be construed as the Scum threw it away - seems weird that.

Edit - BTW, not suggesting you are not a CITY fan, I know you are - just seems contrary to all my memories
I always tell the rags they threw it away, winds the ****s right up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.