u21 Premier League rebranded to u23 "Premier League 2"

This should mean the rags can play an entire team with PL experience in the competition this year, rather than just the odd 7-8 players.

Anyone know if this will impact on our decision to play only under 18s/19s (not sure which it was) in the under 21s?

Anyone know if this will impact on our decision to play only under 18s/19s (not sure which it was) in the under 21s?

Nope. They're training that way in preseason. Very, very young team for the EDS this year but im fine with that. City will have known about this happening for ages.

Nope. They're training that way in preseason. Very, very young team for the EDS this year but im fine with that. City will have known about this happening for ages.
I can't create posts, but wanted to know what people think about the decision not to enter the EFL Trophy? For me it makes no sense - we complain that young players don't get enough man football and then when there is an opportunity to do that as a team we turn it down. I don't get it.

Interesting we have gone down this road. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, whether it's because it's seen as good for the kids to have to battle it out & play their style versus more experience, therefore handle defeat & come back or whether they want to bring through a 'team' at the same time, hoping a group of them come through together.

I'm fine with it whatever. None of it made any sense under Pellegrini, as the end goal seemed to be 5 mins sat watching Demichelis in midfield, but if the end goal is actually a young kid in the first team, it all makes sense.

One thing though looking at it completely the other way: Giggs was talking about how much he learned as a kid, playing with & against 'old pros' in the old reserve team system. I remember Colin Bell after his injury, basically doing a 'Pep' with the reserve team, where he played a sort of Kroos type role (but also with tackles & headers) & organised all the kids into a team.

There could also be some truth in that argument, but I suppose if the 'old pro' you learn from is Joey Barton, or earlier, Gazza, it doesn't stand up very well.

I can't create posts, but wanted to know what people think about the decision not to enter the EFL Trophy? For me it makes no sense - we complain that young players don't get enough man football and then when there is an opportunity to do that as a team we turn it down. I don't get it.
It was entirely down to scheduling, they literally could not fit everything in. That's why about half have already turned down the invite.

Edit: good explanation here towards the bottom: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36902612

Why did clubs reject the invite?
"The challenges we faced were due to scheduling issues that football faces throughout the full season - we are in a position where the EFL Trophy fixtures are played in international weeks," said Harvey.

"Some of the bigger clubs who supply the bulk of players for the international sides - the younger players in particular in that Under-21 age group, Under-17, Under-18, Under-19, Under-20 age groups as well - their players were on international duty so the type of players this competition could have suited may be missing.

"From a competitive perspective I think those clubs who provide the majority of those players took the option that it was probably a step to far at this stage, particularly when the better younger players in those age groups have already been committed to go out on loan to other clubs."

I would agree, but it's dead simple mate, most of the best kids at each level are on international duty when it's happening. That's why the top clubs have pulled out. Scheduling.

I would agree, but it's dead simple mate, most of the best kids at each level are on international duty when it's happening. That's why the top clubs have pulled out. Scheduling.
Thanks. Bit of a shame. Wonder why Chelsea think they can handle it though?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.