U21s derby at Old Trafford on Tuesday

pellers_tastic said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
pellers_tastic said:
If Barca were in the premier league, do you think they would win it? Or if their B team were in the EDS league would they win it?

that is a completely irrelevant point, we aren't barcelona. Any team with messi, neymar ,suarez and iniesta would probably win the league, btw yea they might, whats your point ? . I think implementing their style is great, all I'm saying is defensively we dont look great and imo we should try and combine this style with an english style.

No its not irrelevant. The B team dont have star players, but they do have the same philosophy throughout.
What exactly is an english style anyway? A losing style? A lump it style...if in doubt get it out, row Z football.
We are teaching the kids to play a possession based game, based on technical football, the"english style" is not where we are heading.

the first point of it is - " if barca were in the prem ", english style in my opinion is good organized defending and a physical presence. I know we are teaching them a possession based game, but nothing wrong with adapting that to suit whats needed in the premier league

an example of this being angelino, has everything going forward, but he can't defend.

I was at the game last night and it very much reminded me of the game against them in the Manchester Senior Cup back in August in which we dominated the ball but got destroyed on the counter attack.

I didn't understand Vieira's tactical switch when he took Smith-Brown off and went to a back three with Hiwula as left wing back and Pozo up top, that was very strange.

Maffeo and Angelino impressed me albeit their defensive positioning does need to improve.

Barker looks out of form and tired.

Garcia is one to watch next season, let's not forget he was playing U16 football this time last year so it jump up from that to U21 football in the space of 12 months is quite impressive in itself.

Fofana made good runs with the ball at times but had no end product.

Pozo and Byrne offered something different when they came on but the final product just wasn't there.

Hiwula was poor for me.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
pellers_tastic said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
that is a completely irrelevant point, we aren't barcelona. Any team with messi, neymar ,suarez and iniesta would probably win the league, btw yea they might, whats your point ? . I think implementing their style is great, all I'm saying is defensively we dont look great and imo we should try and combine this style with an english style.

No its not irrelevant. The B team dont have star players, but they do have the same philosophy throughout.
What exactly is an english style anyway? A losing style? A lump it style...if in doubt get it out, row Z football.
We are teaching the kids to play a possession based game, based on technical football, the"english style" is not where we are heading.

the first point of it is - " if barca were in the prem ", english style in my opinion is good organized defending and a physical presence. I know we are teaching them a possession based game, but nothing wrong with adapting that to suit whats needed in the premier league

an example of this being angelino, has everything going forward, but he can't defend.

The way our game has progressed mean our fullbacks no matter who they are will spend more time in the opponents half. Our fullbacks are told to overlap and play higher up the pitch with the CB's pulling wide to cover and CDM dropping if necessary. This is why we are vulnerable to a counter attack, its not Angelino's positioning thats the issue, he is where is should be until we lose possession, then he has to bomb back to try and recover.

I agree that it is not working and ther does need to be a tweak, however I dont see it as an issue with the style so much as the tactical awareness of Vieira IMO. I have seen him found wanting on several occasions and he panicked last night going to a back 3. He should have dropped Bryan back and put Maffeo at RB which would have been much better as a starting option anyway.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
pellers_tastic said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:

You're judging too early pal. The basic attributes you want at this level should be entirely based on technique and to some extent footballing brain and pace. The power and strength can come later, as can more intelligence. You can't teach certain technique so to judge players on that first and foremost is the key thing. A player that dominates because of height and strength at this level will not be able to when he gets to prem standard and becomes the same as all others. A defender can learn positioning and defending as they get older and add it to their technical attributes.

Zabaleta and Kompany are miles better defenders (ignoring Kompany's form) now than they were when they first arrived at the club. Angelino can develop his positional sense and defensive ability over time. When he does, we've one hell of an attacking full back.

I'm not reading anything into the result.

That was Man Utd's strongest possible U21 team, with the likes of Blackett, Januzaj and Wilson.

The result would be very different if we had Denayer, Rekik, Lopes and Cole in the side.

I thought Man Utd just looked like a strong youth team, not a team full of players who could progress to the first team. Blackett is the prime example of that.

Nothing to worry about, our team was extremely young.

Anyone aware or witness the crowd trouble that has been reported?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32716950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-32716950</a>

sam-caddick said:
I was at the game last night and it very much reminded me of the game against them in the Manchester Senior Cup back in August in which we dominated the ball but got destroyed on the counter attack.

I didn't understand Vieira's tactical switch when he took Smith-Brown off and went to a back three with Hiwula as left wing back and Pozo up top, that was very strange.

Definitely, Hiwula could not be less suited to a wide position, it was a very strange move.

I also noticed during the first half (and maybe later on too) that when our centre halves had the ball one of the fullbacks moved into a central midfield position, as opposed to getting to the touchline and pushing up the pitch, as is the norm. It was a bizarre sight and presumably was Vieira trying his hand at developing some sort of new ethos that he could then trademark? Either way, I don't think it worked.

mansour's tow ropes said:
sam-caddick said:

Definitely, Hiwula could not be less suited to a wide position, it was a very strange move.

I also noticed during the first half (and maybe later on too) that when our centre halves had the ball one of the fullbacks moved into a central midfield position, as opposed to getting to the touchline and pushing up the pitch, as is the norm. It was a bizarre sight and presumably was Vieira trying his hand at developing some sort of new ethos that he could then trademark? Either way, I don't think it worked.

That was smith brown, and it was because he was doing a man marking job on Januzai in the first half.

pellers_tastic said:
sam-caddick said:

That was smith brown, and it was because he was doing a man marking job on Januzai in the first half.

He and Angelino did it on more than one occasion, and this was when we had possession.

pellers_tastic said:

He and Angelino did it on more than one occasion, and this was when we had possession.
Being doing it for most of the season.When the ball is on the right the left back fills the centre Mid and same for the other side when the ball is on the left.
The U18's do it as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.