UEFA Women's Euro 2017

Ah fuck it, doubt there will be many uploads of that game on second thoughts... defo saw it this way: contact, stutter, went down theatrically on the definitive replay.

Last edited:
In my opinion, she fell into the player, initiating the contact. We'll have to agree to disagree. As I said, there was a replay during the game (a couple of minutes after the incident) from the near sideline. And from that replay, it looked to me like she dived/fell into the defender. I'm not saying there wasn't contact; there clearly was. But not all contact is a foul.
Fair comment.

Sampson got away with playing defensive hoof ball in the previous two games, I knew he would try the same again and I knew that against a decent team it would backfire.

He is clueless, if they had gone on the front foot from the start it may have been a different outcome.

Lions led by a Donkey, the guy is a Clown.

Sampson got away with playing defensive hoof ball in the previous two games, I knew he would try the same again and I knew that against a decent team it would backfire. He is clueless, if they had gone on the front foot from the start it may have been a different outcome. Lions led by a Donkey, the guy is a Clown.

To be fair he's been in charge for two tournaments and we've reached the semi-finals of both.

The women's game has improved enormously during that time so it's no mean feat.

We overachieved in Canada when we reached the 2015 World Cup semi-final but we've underachieved in this one.

He's earned a crack at the 2019 World Cup in France but because he's helped to raise expectations, his position is now much more precarious.

Sampson got away with playing defensive hoof ball in the previous two games, I knew he would try the same again and I knew that against a decent team it would backfire.

He is clueless, if they had gone on the front foot from the start it may have been a different outcome.

Watched the game. Abso-f**king-lutely spot on. Steph Houghton was bobbins, and that partner at centre back (White I think number 16) wouldn't get a game with my dogs on the beach. Hobbs was ok and Lucy Bronze was the pick of our shower. Hampson is a complete tit who thinks he is the dogs (and imho has no clue). Oh and the ref was not fit for purpose - they got away with some dodgy stuff and we got fuck all. Best team won - their defence had us in their pockets.

To be fair he's been in charge for two tournaments and we've reached the semi-finals of both.

The women's game has improved enormously during that time so it's no mean feat.

We overachieved in Canada when we reached the 2015 World Cup semi-final but we've underachieved in this one.

He's earned a crack at the 2019 World Cup in France but because he's helped to raise expectations, his position is now much more precarious.
Whilst he has done well to get us to 2 semi finals, its far from all down to him. City and Chelsea have pushed women's football forward in England in the last 3 or 4 seasons, and both play in quite a different way to his England team. He also picked a team tonight that was about experience not flair (not dissimilar to how the men's team has been picked over numerous years), and quite frankly it fell apart, there were better, more adventurous, and younger players on the bench, many of them would currently be thought of us as winners too.

I'd say after a few days of analysis, he might be under greater pressure than he expects. Whatever, he needs to come back with a different plan than the 4 games since we battered Scotland, because they haven't been very good in any of them, Spain were better than us, Portugal equal (though it was a weakened team), we probably just about deserved to beat France, but they were far inferior to Holland tonight for me.

Didn't watch the game I caught the French match and was so disappointed with England, one shot, timewasting from 70mins, not trying to play football etc then to lose Bardsley and have your best midfielder suspended was always going to make the game difficult.

Like others have said the manager Sampson has gone from no pressure free flowing football to hoofball as he seems to be shitting it now.

It was opportunism football. Let's see if we get a gilded chance and then run around for the rest of the game. Netherlands played a far more pro-active game and it told. I gave up on it at 2-0. England never looked likely to overturn a 1-0, let alone a 2-0.

England badly missed Jill Scott in midfield, but credit to the Dutch, they outplayed our girls and fully deserved their win.

I think if women's football is going to progress further, there has to be less of the 'we've done great to get this far' attitude.

It's not a social club, they were there to win a tournament.

They might never get a better chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.