United 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retail shopping itself is under heavy threat imo with the Advent of online shopping and delivery. Every time I go to a mall, seems like a couple more stores have closed since the last time. Could be some very tough times ahead for those who didn't see the changes coming.

Yes, we've noticed that. The most glaringly obvious genre is music stores.

When I started going to the States ten years ago, nearly every mall had an FYI or similar; now, they're very few and far between.

Yes, we've noticed that. The most glaringly obvious genre is music stores.

When I started going to the States ten years ago, nearly every mall had an FYI or similar; now, they're very few and far between.
The whole mall business model is under threat anyway and only the really good ones will survive. The Glazer malls are very much at the opposite end of the scale.

The Glazers could be in trouble. I've just read an article in the FT saying that US retail group Sears may be facing big financial difficulties. Sears own Kmart, who are one of the big tenants in many of their shopping malls. If they go under and/or pull their stores from the malls, the First Allied business could collapse. As I've said before,it's believed to be heavily leveraged, with big loans taken out against the malls and its also entirely possible that they've had to put up United shares as security for some of their lending. If that's the case (although there's no proof of this) then it could potentially impact the rags in some way. No one really knows what their situation is as they've hidden the key companies behind secrecy walls in Delaware & the Cayman Islands but the rags' shares appear to be the only decent assets they have after the malls themselves (which are heavily mortgaged).

Going to be interesting to see how that one plays out.
Well, that's just cheered me up.

In Italy at the moment, laughing with the locals re Mario's Manchester antics and teaching them the phrase 'rag ****'.

The whole mall business model is under threat anyway and only the really good ones will survive. The Glazer malls are very much at the opposite end of the scale.
The more money diverted away from the football squad to pay debt repayments the better. Ideal scenario is that rather than pay off maturing debt, they take on more so that even more of their cash flow gets diverted from football to paying back investors

The more money diverted away from the football squad to pay debt repayments the better. Ideal scenario is that rather than pay off maturing debt, they take on more so that even more of their cash flow gets diverted from football to paying back investors
That's downright cynical........but I like it!!

Just a thought - if the Glazers were to sell up, it might not necessarily be bad news as the new owners may purchase the club in the same way the Glazers did - a leveraged buyout - and the cycle starts all over again. How funny would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.