Us and them another pension rant

Have no clue I've been told your money and employer contributions are actually paying the pensions of those who have already retired, how true this is I don't know.
If true, that's your issue right there. It's the same with National Insurance. What it effectively is is promising one generation the money of a future generation. And that works fine until you get a generation of retirees that vastly outnumbers the generation whose taxes have to pay for their pensions.

Don't worry you won't be, they know we won't make it to 60 and will leave early losing a substantial amount of pension or get sacked on capability.
Has anything changed since the Fire Minister said in Parliament that if firefighters failed fitness "through no fault of their own" they'd be eligible for early retirement (and reduced pension) rather than dismissal on capability grounds, and the fire authorities (who pay the pensions) immediately said that's not their understanding of the legal position?

I see your judge said she was disregarding the parallel judgement about the judges because it wasn't binding. Have the government decided yet whether to appeal the judges' case decision? http://www.professionalpensions.com...s-lose-pensions-ruling-at-employment-tribunal

Has anything changed since the Fire Minister said in Parliament that if firefighters failed fitness "through no fault of their own" they'd be eligible for early retirement (and reduced pension) rather than dismissal on capability grounds, and the fire authorities (who pay the pensions) immediately said that's not their understanding of the legal position?

I see your judge said she was disregarding the parallel judgement about the judges because it wasn't binding. Have the government decided yet whether to appeal the judges' case decision? http://www.professionalpensions.com...s-lose-pensions-ruling-at-employment-tribunal
Absolutely mate, when the pension changed in 2006 it was on the understanding that if you couldn't meet fitness you'd be redeployed into a back room job, they have now civilianised those jobs so there aren't any, so if you can't meet the fitness test you will be sacked, you might think this ok however the fitness test is the same no matter your age, they want a VO2 max of 42. It has been medicaly proven to achieve this at 60 you will need to be an Olympic athlete level at 20 (due to the way the body degrades with age), therefore you will have t take a very reduced pension dependant on age, or be sacked. Every fire authority interprets it differently.
Whether the government appeal at a higher level is still up in the air, if they go higher and lose again then this would be great for us but bad for the government apparently, so they may well not do it.

For judges it may be. It certainly wont be for teachers, police officers, firemen and nurses. You have a dislike of public sector workers so your view on it will be clouded. These people will be flogged into the ground by the time they can finish. And these pensions arent free, they pay 16% of their salary for them. I dont know how much of yours you pay into a pension, its not my business, but I bet you dont pay that much.
That's just bollocks and not true.

My Mrs has done 30 years in the public sector. In those 30 years she has done about 4 years actual work. She has a very generous final salary pension scheme and spends at least 6 weeks of the year on the sick. She works in a department with about 9 women - the level of incompetence, sickness bitchiness, "I am working from home" abuse is quite frankly staggering. I am not comparing them with fire fighters or coppers but quite frankly she deserves about ten pound a week for the effort she puts in. I just wish those in the public sector could have sampled the private sector from 2007 until 2011. Horrendous years.

Good luck op by the way.

My Mrs has done 30 years in the public sector. In those 30 years she has done about 4 years actual work. She has a very generous final salary pension scheme and spends at least 6 weeks of the year on the sick. She works in a department with about 9 women - the level of incompetence, sickness bitchiness, "I am working from home" abuse is quite frankly staggering. I am not comparing them with fire fighters or coppers but quite frankly she deserves about ten pound a week for the effort she puts in. I just wish those in the public sector could have sampled the private sector from 2007 until 2011. Horrendous years.

Good luck op by the way.

Your wife and her colleagues sound like a fine example to us all.

Asyou may or may not know I'm a firefighter and we like many other public sector workers had our pensions fucked over a few years ago, this included firefighters, police, nurse and also judges. We went on strike for our pensions and our last go at getting it reversed was on the grounds of age, sex and race discrimination. The judges also decided to do this and last year the judges went to court and had their case heard, now bearing in mind the judges case is heard by a judge (even though should remain impartial). After their hearing in late December the judge presiding decided to reserve judgement.
Our hearing began in January and part way through the judges decision was made public and it was found in favour of the judges, result, their case was identical to ours, so you would think the outcome would be the same. However the result of our case wasn't released until Tuesday and they found against us, we had exactly the same case, the same barrister and yet our (and other physically demanding jobs) are effectively ruled against yet a load of bloke sat on their arses get a ruling for them.
If this doesn't smell of corruption by the government I don't know what is, the judges case affected around 200 judges, ours because of the knock on effects would have affected 10s of thousands. We are going to appeal and I'm hoping the judges case can be held as an example for us. Tory wankers.

I have total sympathy mate.......Its like the changes to the Women's Pension Age (being fought by the WASPI Women ) which will cost each individual woman in excess of £48,000. Mind you at least we have peace of mind knowing that we will have spent £130 billion renewing Trident and building two aircraft carriers (with no planes) £52 billion on HS2 (which nobody wants) and having just sent £1.65 billion to China to help them support their elderly (when our own social care system is in crisis)

I have total sympathy mate.......Its like the changes to the Women's Pension Age (being fought by the WASPI Women ) which will cost each individual woman in excess of £48,000. Mind you at least we have peace of mind knowing that we will have spent £130 billion renewing Trident and building two aircraft carriers (with no planes) £52 billion on HS2 (which nobody wants) and having just sent £1.65 billion to China to help them support their elderly (when our own social care system is in crisis)

You'd think some political party would come up with whizzo money generating ideas and be rocketed to power on a surge of popular emotion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.