US Presidential Race 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having not lived in England for nearly 24 years, I'm a bit out of touch with current English society (I even spell "color" without a u these days) - so what's everyone's opinion on the possibility of a Donald Trump type being equally successful in the UK? He's clearly tapped into something that's allowing 40% of the electorate to overlook his many (many, many) failings as a businessman and human being. Could someone similar hit the same notes in the UK?

Having not lived in England for nearly 24 years, I'm a bit out of touch with current English society (I even spell "color" without a u these days) - so what's everyone's opinion on the possibility of a Donald Trump type being equally successful in the UK? He's clearly tapped into something that's allowing 40% of the electorate to overlook his many (many, many) failings as a businessman and human being. Could someone similar hit the same notes in the UK?
Wouldn't say so, the process of becoming prime minister requires the support of a few hundred MPs.

Gary Glitter

That Spectator article (a) is grasping at straws where Trump's chances are concerned, and (b) doesn't seem to understand the concept of probability.

I didn't see the 538 prediction for Brexit, but I'm sure it was given as a probability rather than just a yes/no prediction. Let's say he said there was a 70% chance of Brexit being rejected. Technically that's a prediction that Brexit would be rejected, but it's allowing for a 30% chance that it would pass. That's far better than just guessing one way or the other and getting lucky (or not).

Everyone gets pissed off when the weather forecasters say there's only a 10% chance of rain and then it rains. That doesn't mean they were wrong - it SHOULD rain 1 out of 10 times when they say that.

Predicting City would beat Southampton the other day doesn't mean you were 100% sure it was going to happen (i.e. no other result was possible), it meant that if they replayed the game 10 times, you think we'd win most of the time, which is probably true, even though we didn't win this time. A City win was still the best prediction based on all the available data, and any other prediction got a bit lucky (which is why any other prediction won you more money than your bet at the bookies).

Similarly, all the available data suggests that Clinton is very likely to win the election, so in that sense you'd have to predict that she'll win, even though Trump is still given a 15% chance by 538. That 15% acknowledges that polling data could be wrong (but probably not by that much), that something new and disastrous could happen to Hillary (but it's not likely at this late stage), or that something else no one's even thought about could swing the election in favor of Trump (again, not that likely, hence only 15% chance for Trump).

It's no mystery why a Conservative magazine like The Spectator, or Trump himself and his surrogates would deny the reality of the polling data - perception matters, and if his supporters think it's over, they're less likely to bother voting. It's all reminiscent of that spokesman for Sadam Hussein during the Iraqi War who was predicting glorious victory over the Americans right up until the moment they took over Baghdad and pulled down that statue.

I don't think the same sort of support that makes up Trump's ranks exists here on the same scale. Farage is probably a lesser Trump and he didn't really go down well with anyone effectively.

I don't think the same sort of support that makes up Trump's ranks exists here on the same scale. Farage is probably a lesser Trump and he didn't really go down well with anyone effectively.

I'd imagine a lot of Trump's support is from staunch Republicans who have both only ever voted that way and also wouldn't consider voting Democrat in a million years. UKIP don't have that familiarity being a fairly new party and one that was always unlikely to win many seats. Had Farage somehow been Labour leader, we may well have been in a similar situation as America is now.

I'd imagine a lot of Trump's support is from staunch Republicans who have both only ever voted that way and also wouldn't consider voting Democrat in a million years. UKIP don't have that familiarity being a fairly new party and one that was always unlikely to win many seats. Had Farage somehow been Labour leader, we may well have been in a similar situation as America is now.
Good point. I did think about Farage in another party, but I made the assumption he'd never manage Labour or Tory leadership.

Except when he beat Nick Clegg in two European Referendum debates convincingly and every poll showed him winning at a ratio of 70% or higher. Are we just ignoring that?

Last edited:
I think part of Trump's attraction to the uneducated rednecks over Clinton is that he's not a woman. I think there's a lot of chauvinism amongst that type of voter and they still make up a sizeable proportion of the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.