VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We had other reasons for asking for Mason to be removed. ;-) although his name came up in a different and more relevant context.

Mike Riley specifically said, in a meeting with the Points of Blue group in April 2012, that referee appointments should avoid any conflicts of interest.

Just before that meeting Mason reffed a Utd v QPR game, where he'd made a really bad decision. Ashley Young came from an offside position, then dived for a penalty, which also led to a mandatory red card for Shaun Derry for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

QPR were obviously in a relegation battle with (among others) Bolton. Mason was registered with PGMOL as a Bolton fan and it was pointed out to Riley that this was a clear conflict of interest. You could see from his face that this had never occurred to him. If Attwell is a Luton fan, then it's clear that either lessons have not been learned or (more likely) PGMOL don't give a fuck.
Fucking hell - good memory PB.

Forgot about all that shit with Mason.........

This is a blown up image from Dale Johnson's review, so I guess it's an official image as he gets most of his excuses explanations from PGMOL.

View attachment 115572

Not sure why there should be a blue blodge by his foot, or why the red line looks wider than the blue line? Can't see any green between the lines either tbh.

May just be resolution issues.

I’m not technically minded enough to know the ins and outs mate. But that image is taken from a camera no where near level with the lines it is showing. That’s is bound to show distortions to the human eye isn’t it? More so when you’ve zoomed in.

It’s like the way two perfectly parallel lines will eventually meet to the human eye, if you can see them far enough. Don’t even try and explain that to me. But it’s a fact.

No, personally I’ve always disliked VAR and never wanted it implemented and yes I would allow that Coventry goal if it was me. People have chosen they wanted binary choices with the implementation of it though and in that world, he was offside and would have been even more offside a couple of seasons ago.
He was offside because the people using VAR made him offside. I am 100 percent certain they could have used a different freeze frame and or moved the lines to make him onside. The method is clearly too approximate to decide offsides.

He was offside because the people using VAR made him offside. I am 100 percent certain they could have used a different freeze frame and or moved the lines to make him onside. The method is clearly was too approximate to decide offsides.
The can be as much as 20cm difference between frames if a defender is static and the attacker is running at full pelt. Dependant on camera angle and operator could have the option to choose anywhere from 2 to 5 frames from where they think the pass was made. At best it's a 50/50 guess, and any bias (conscious or otherwise) or prejudice the operator may have will come into play and influence their decision.

They are examples not a definition.

It’s not easy to give a definition that rules in everything you want reviewing and rules out everything that you don’t.

But that is what the authorities would need to do. They can’t have a system built around words like “howlers”
They are examples of the laws not being adhered to despite the presence of var by any definition that is in of itself a howler no?

He was offside because the people using VAR made him offside. I am 100 percent certain they could have used a different freeze frame and or moved the lines to make him onside. The method is clearly too approximate to decide offsides.

Not based on the current implementation of VAR it isn’t though, people have just decided now it is because it stopped Coventry from beating United. I’m fine with that, change the implementation then and increase the margins even more than they currently are if people want that.

They are examples not a definition.

It’s not easy to give a definition that rules in everything you want reviewing and rules out everything that you don’t.

But that is what the authorities would need to do. They can’t have a system built around words like “howlers”
You can build a system like that. The DRS in cricket is a good example. It’s actually built to correct obvious howlers by the umpire but crucially built in is an acceptance that on the subjective even tech can’t give the correct answer so umpires call can be factored in

Any overhaul of VAR should go back to first principles - a tool to support the ref as the ultimate arbiter of games to make better decisions themselves

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.