VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its a Golden Ticket Yes from me. For over 100 years linesmen used to look for daylight between players when the ball was kicked. It gives the advantage back to the attacking team which is as it should be. VAR decisions should be a lot quicker too.

Had this rule been in place I truly believe City would have at least one more CL trophy.

That just isn’t true mate. Linesman have always judged an off side on who looks the furthest forward. This daylight nonsense was a figment of pundits imagination that was repeated that often that people came to believe it was a thing. It never has been.

This proposal by Wenger will actually most likely make a linesman’s job a lot harder. He’ll no longer by looking across a line and judging who is furthest forward but have to use two points of reference before making a decision.

Remember he’s talking about a fundamental change to the laws of the game here. Which would affect every game of football at all levels, all over the world. And over 99.99% of football games do not have a VAR.

That just isn’t true mate. Linesman have always judged an off side on who looks the furthest forward. This daylight nonsense was a figment of pundits imagination that was repeated that often that people came to believe it was a thing. It never has been.

This proposal by Wenger will actually most likely make a linesman’s job a lot harder. He’ll no longer by looking across a line and judging who is furthest forward but have to use two points of reference before making a decision.

Remember he’s talking about a fundamental change to the laws of the game here. Which would affect every game of football at all levels, all over the world. And over 99.99% of football games do not have a VAR.
Have to agree to disagree then.

Having run the line for 10 years in amateur football in the late 70's and 80's, we were taught during FA sponsored courses to look for daylight.

The offside law was brought in to stop goal hanging. It has morphed into something that actually now spoils the game.

Have to agree to disagree then.

Having run the line for 10 years in amateur football in the late 70's and 80's, we were taught during FA sponsored courses to look for daylight.

The offside law was brought in to stop goal hanging. It has morphed into something that actually now spoils the game.

Well I’m obviously not going to argue with what you say you were taught.

If certain instructors found it a convenient term to use then that’s up to them. Maybe as a very general guideline if you’re unsure, that gives the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

But they were wrong if they taught that as any sort of definitive way of judging an offside. A bloke could be clearly several feet offside without there been any daylight between him and the defender. And it’s certainly not a term they will have any ever seen in any edition of the laws of the game.

Well, knock me down with a feather. We agree with something about VAR for once.

I am beginning to think Wenger is an idiot and should be nowhere near any FIFA decision making.

Well I’m obviously not going to argue with what you say you were taught.

If certain instructors found it a convenient term to use then that’s up to them. Maybe as a very general guideline if you’re unsure, that gives the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

But they were wrong if they taught that as any sort of definitive way of judging an offside. A bloke could be clearly several feet offside without there been any daylight between him and the defender. And it’s certainly not a term they will have any ever seen in any edition of the laws of the game.
When did rules of the game (soccer) become laws of the game?
I was told a long time ago, that Rugby was the only game then that had laws.

Why the fuck can't "the best and most valuable league in the world" just have this?

It’s not really adding anything that we don’t have already. The only announcements are when a decision is being overturned after the referee reviews it on the screen. Which is as rare as rocking horse shit.

Even then you’re only really hearing a verbal explanation of what we currently see on the screens.

First small step I suppose though.

It’s not really adding anything that we don’t have already. The only announcements are when a decision is being overturned after the referee reviews it on the screen. Which is as rare as rocking horse shit.

Even then you’re only really hearing a verbal explanation of what we currently see on the screens.

First small step I suppose though.

I know - ultimately I'd like to see the Rugby example ( both codes ) ref wearing a mic and what happens and the thinking behind it is then clear

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.